How Long Before Regret Sets In?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Nov 9, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm quite sure there are many people rejoicing in the election of Donald Trump.

The question is, have they considered the possibility that Trump will not be able to address many, if not all, of the dissatisfactions that drove them to vote for him?

Voters in West Virginia, for example, concerned about the loss of jobs in the coal industry. There is pretty much nothing that Donald Trump's protectionism, or even his threatened dismantling of the EPA, can do to bring West Virginia coal mining jobs back. The coal mining industry itself has changed. The W.V mines are tapped out; they use machines that take the place of hundreds of workers. Its cheaper to mine in Wyoming and the west. And demand for coal has been replaced by natural gas.

Are huge tax cuts going to spur a huge growth in GDP? That's extremely unlikely. Tax cuts just mean that rich people have more money. Money that they spend in ways that don't generally grow the economy that much or create many jobs.

Congress may well destroy the ACA. But there is no real alternative plan. And frankly, repealing the ACA will only further depress wages and increase income inequality. Oh, its also going to drive up the deficit.

I wish the best for this country. But I have a very strong suspicion that many Trump voters are going to be sorely disappointed, and probably sooner rather than later.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Unfortunately I think you're right. And there will be violence IMO.

3. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

I don't know why some feel the need to create a new thread with every brain fart they have, but it is kind of fun around here with most of the liberals gone or running for cover like cockroaches when some one flips on a light.

I see your still in the bargaining stage.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well let's see what Trump does. Is he going to be yet another establishment republican after all, or will he change things?

5. 1458279 Suspended

There are a lot of variables that come into play with economics. Trump will be going in with a House, Senate, and SC that would at least be near even. However, he won't have the voting margins that Obama had, in that the Senate isn't veto proof.

The ACA is not an easy "just toss it out" kinda deal and the national debt is doubled. The Fed hasn't been able to move and is looking at maybe neg rates.

Trump has talked about infrastructure, yet Obama tried that and got tripped up in Gov red tape, Trump isn't going to get a free pass on that but will have friendly ears concerning Gov reform.

Stopping globalization, better trade deals, competitive corp tax rates and killing red tape is all that'll be needed to unleash growth. If he get his small government, it'll be enough to change things quite a bit.

Obama never got 3% growth and that's the worse of any president ever. If Trump gets 3~3.5 he'll be knocking it out of the ball park.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How's he going to do that? They take decades to agree.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---
    This will increase prices though, as factories would need rebuilding, workers training etc. Etc.

7. 1458279 Suspended

I can't get those liberal images of PURE shock out of my mind as they saw that Hillary wasn't going to get a landslide and Trump was actually starting to win. It'll take a while for everything to sink in.

HillarySupporter01.jpeg

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I think he will fail miserably and I'm ok with that. You asked for it, now enjoy.

An ideal outcome would be accountability and responsibility. No candidate is going to do for you what you should do yourself.

On another note. Too many on both sides want to blame everybody in the world for their problems except the person in the mirror.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Same thing the right said 8 years ago.

10. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

It remains to be seen.

11. pdqgp, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

He's not going to fix everything but he is going to do a few key things.

• Squash Obamafail's legacy. Key point being ditch Obamacare and never look back. It was a failure before it started and it needs to go.
    • Iran Deal - Tear it up
    • Real immigration reform, the wall and getting rid of sanctuary cities and illegals, starting with the ones who are criminals and get caught. Jettison them back to hell.
    • and more....

12. 1458279 Suspended

No, it won't. Agreements can happen over night.

People have been arguing this about Brexit. You need to realize that it's a two way street. There are buyers and sellers. The makers in Germany need to sell their products, the people in England don't have to buy.

Americans can build robots that can build things cheaper than ANY human can. We can do this right this second. The gov can poor billions into making so many robots that the entire advantage of cheaper labor is gone.

All the sudden, China has a ton of people without jobs looking for food. There is a balance, we've been sold out for many, many years. People like Hillary sold us out with H1B Visas so that she can become rich. Trump is already rich.

There's a balance to this system, they need us much more than we need them.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Now we know what Michael Moore screen name is.

14. 1458279 Suspended

The difference is that we now actually have PROOF. It's called ObamaCare, the libs are aside themselves on that one because it was just supposed to magically work, yet it didn't.

15. erzhik macrumors 6502

The regret will set in after 2 years, like for every other president before him. People never like politicians for a very long time.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Something about diapers and politicians....

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Look. I respect the process. Trump happened. What that means remains to be seen.The GOP has the Congress and (perhaps) the WH. Have at it. No one to blame if you screw it up. I wish us all luck. Really.

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Once you grow past a certain point you realize you don't need them anymore?

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That they are full of it and need to be changed often.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

He's going to do "something terrific" across the board. Clearly "something terrific" means a time machine ray, set to 1950, pointed at the rust belt.

21. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

So the way to give Joe SixPack Trump voter a good job is building robots? And you expect Donald Trump to persuade a Republican Congress to spend billions of dollars on robot research?

Say, just for the sake of argument, that did work. We spend a hundred billion dollars building amazing robots. The real value of that research is the Intellectual Property. But if we build them, how long do you think it will be before the Chinese start copying them?

And all the researchers who have developed these robots: Do you think they are going to be white male high school graduates? Or do you think they are likely to graduate engineers and computer scientists. The same people who a) voted for Clinton and b) are already doing pretty well in this economy.

I just don't see any possible way that could work.

22. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Man is an amazing tool, maybe in 50 or 100 years they can make a robot that can do half the things man can do, but it will still cost more than paying a man to build and maintain.

23. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I didn't want Trump to win but now it has happened, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since the GOP also has Congress. Let's see how productive they can be and if not, it should be much easier for Democratics to control the next presidential election.

24. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

The country wanted a change.

They already knew what Clinton would do. We'd have the same results that we've always gotten from career politicians.

Seeing that we've been stuck in a huge pile of @&$! For decades, it's time to take a gamble on anything that might create a change for the better.

The country was stuck between a gamble of the unknown and untested, against our continued downward spiral.

Anytime you're sinking in quicksand, you'll gladly grab on any rope that might pull you out. Trump is that rope.

All Clinton was offering was to continue to make the pit of quicksand deeper.

Whether grabbing on Trump's rope leads to a better life, nobody knows. But we knew that just staying in the pit with Clinton pouring more quicksand on us wasn't going to lead us anywhere good.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I regret having to listen to his voice and wacky way of speaking for 4 years. his speeches could damage young children and animals :(