How long before you'll just be able to go in and buy one?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Darthzilla, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Darthzilla macrumors member

Realistically...how long before I'll just be able to walk in to an apple store, and maybe wait an hour or something to buy an iPad 2

2. rkahl macrumors 65816

I remember signs on the door for bestbuy 4 months after launch.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Let me gaze into my crystal ball... :rolleyes:

People have been walking in and buying them all over the place.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I think he means walk into any store and have them readily available in stock...way to be literal. :rolleyes:

OP, probably a few months at the very earliest. The iPad 2 seems to be a bigger hit with the general public than the first.

5. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I remember when I got my iPad 1 last July I had to be put on a waiting list. In JULY! It's going to be even worse for the iPad 2.

6. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

This launch reminds me of the iPhone 3G launch. Which took about a month or two before it was "easy" to get in my area.

If supply hasn't been effected by things in Japan, I'm going to guess middle to end of April. :)

7. black743 macrumors 6502

I think its just so much easier to order the thing. What's an extra couple weeks vs driving all over town and standing in line after line? Of course, our local Best Buy had tons of them through Saturday and nobody was buying...that is, until I came home at 3pm and posted about it, then they sold out in an hour.

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I went to an Apple Store this morning, after they told me yesterday to come at 9am. I arrived at 8:30am, and they had already given vouchers to the people waiting since 5:00am. Also, they only were selling WiFi models, no 3G and no CDMA.
    Anyways, I had nothing to do until 10, so I hanged out there and had a chance to play with the new iPad. Then I decided not to wake up early or wait in line for it anymore.

9. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Well given Apples online delay of 4-5 Weeks which puts us at April 21st.. Add in the international launch, take into demand I would honestly say mid to late may is the most likely...

10. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If there will be a parts shortage till June...then...3 - 4 months?

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Probably it wil come about a month or so after they finish introducing it into their largest international markets: Europe and/or Asia.

BTW: The reason they stagger the release of products like the iPad is to try and spread out the initial rush of demand. Of course, this also leads to the silliness of "scalpers" snapping up the first US models and then flying them to Tokyo and London for quick resale.

I remember stocks of iPad 1 being tight quite late into last summer - I waited ten days for delivery in July of last year. Then again, I suspect that the iPad exceeded Apple's own expectations for sales last year. This year, hopefully, they'll be better prepared to meet the demand.

If you are prepared to be patient there really shouldn't be an issue for anyone getting an iPad. Online orders seem to be looking at around two to three weeks right now. Which seems like a lot, but isn't really in the big scheme of things.

12. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I'd say give it about a month or so. By then, the hype will have died down a bit and all the early adopters will more than likely have gotten theirs, making it easier for the stores to keep them in stock.

13. datapolitical macrumors regular

datapolitical

I think that's the $1300 question...

14. MattEcho macrumors newbie

My wife was told by an Apple store employee today that iPad 2s were sold out across the country and the only hope (for their store anyway) is to line up at 7am each day they get shipments.

15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Maybe look at some other distributors? ;)

16. maxinflixion macrumors member

The day after all iPad 1's have been sold.

17. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

My guess will be about 3 months, in response to the OP's question. :)

18. Meever macrumors 6502a

Late summer (June?). Assuming Japan battery rumors are false. If there is a battery shortage.... then maybe early fall (Aug?)

19. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

20. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Maybe later if Japan supply chain is out for long.

21. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Last year I bought my wife an ipad in June, it was quite difficult to find then. And that was without an earthquake/Tsunami.

22. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

When Hell freezes over, and I don't mean the ones in Pennsylvania or Michigan!:(

23. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Realistically?

I'd say October/Thanksgiving, just in time for the American Black Friday, Friday , Gotta get it Black Friday shopping season.

Then we can all party and party and Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun ;)

;);)And only because they will have the iPad (4G) as the new hot ticket item.;);)