How Long Can IPhones Last?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Epicnessx, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Epicnessx macrumors member

Another random thing I was curious about lol
    I've heard they can last around 2 years + is that true?
    I would like mine (iPhone 4) to last about 4 years, I do have a screen protector and case, will that help keep it in good condition?

2. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

They can last as long as you take care of them well. I still see some people using the original iPhone which is over 5 years old now.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

The battery is the only thing that will die no matter what, but that will take years (although you will likely notice it not lasting as long as it used to after 2 years), but, compared to the cost of a new phone, they're relatively cheap.

Everything else is dependant on what kind of care you keep your phone in. 4 years is very believable (there are people still using their original iPhone from 5 years ago).

4. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I have not kept one more than a year since I get the new one evey year. I have noticed though with everyone around me that after about 2yrs things start acting really weird...either because of the iOS changes or the battery is seems causing the problems all the time.

So I would say at 2yrs you should start getting worried

5. Ferry888 macrumors member

I got a 3gs from 2009. It has taken a real beating because my little kid sometimes plays with it. It has been dropped a few times ,the plastic from the back has cracked. The lock button is not too responsive but apart from that it still works very well. I don't know about the 4 and 4s but I can vouch for the 3gs to be very durable.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Sure. The 3GS is still kicking. Besides keeping it in good condition, the other things to worry about would be the battery and software updates. You might not be able to get all the features in the newest updates and things may or may not run as smoothly.

7. Epicnessx thread starter macrumors member

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I still have the original iphone and a 3g still working strong both factory unlocked with att too :D.

9. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

They can last pretty long. I bought the iPhone 3G when it was first released. I had a cover and screen protector on it. Except for the tiny little crack at near the volume control, which I don't even know when it happened, it's perfect.

It has gotten a bit slow though. with the new iOS update and stuff. But still works perfectly.

10. cynics macrumors G3

Yes, but the phone has to be disassembled, there are how to's on YouTube.

11. Epicnessx thread starter macrumors member

Would it be able to be done at the apple store?

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

For a fee, yes.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Being rather fragile, as are most things made from glass, it's a real gamble to estimate it's life. Just when you least expect it you may be witnessing it shatter into little bits as it hits the ground. Not to worry, it's usually repairable.

14. cynics macrumors G3

Can they do it in store? I know you can send it out to Apple, cost 80 bucks plus shipping and there is a week turn around....

15. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

My son is using the iPhone 3GS that I got more than 3 years ago. It is his first iPhone, he loves it and hasn't reported any problems with it. Surprisingly , even the battery life on it is still great.

16. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Get the $99 AppleCare+ and replace it on the 23rd month: new screen, new glass, new battery. Good for another 24+ months! :) (Or for resale...)

17. Epicnessx thread starter macrumors member

If I did get a new one could I transfer music, photos and apps from this phone? And would I have the same number?

18. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

That is in error....

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A#overview

"Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of technical support.1 AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax.1 Whether you use iPhone with a Mac or a PC, just one phone call can help resolve most issues."

Once the two years is up, no matter if you got the iphone replaced, the original warranty ends. It does not extend for another two years. Call them up to verify.

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

There are still people using the first and second gen iPhone. With so few moving parts, and a careful owner, I'd say they can last several years. The battery would become the biggest issue. And as many have found out sometimes updating to the latest OS will really bog the phone down.

20. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

wow, a chinese salesman typing in crappy english is trying to sell some ridiculous piece of hardware. do ignore!

21. kannesss macrumors 6502a

There's no expiration date on them. As long as you don't lose it or break it, you can use it as long as the battery will charge.

22. Epicnessx thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty careful with mine so hopefully it lasts as long as I'm hoping :)
    what are some of the best cases? I have a pretty basic one currently and maybe there's something better?

23. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

As long as you take good care of it, you'll get at least 2 years out of it, 3 years is probably max; but that's just me anyway

Also, I hate cases, my current setup is a SGP Glas.T for the screen and a generic plastic back film on the back. :D

24. nw9 macrumors regular

As mentioned by others, if you take care of it then it should last you a long time. The issue you should keep in mind is that some of the newer apps or updates might require either the lastest iOS or a more recent phone if your iPhone gets too old.

25. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 3G still here. I don't use it as I have a 4S, but it has been handed down in my family until they bought their own, and I have loaned it out to a couple of people when they had trouble with their own phones. One of my high school daughter's friends has it right now since she broke the screen on her own phone, and it is working just fine. I got it right when the 3G came out. As said earlier, it is all in how you take care of it, and I was very careful.