How Long Did It Take To Cast Your Ballot?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Nov 4, 2014.

?

How long did it take for you to vote in the 11/4/14 election?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2014.
  1. Less than 15 minutes

38 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. 16-30 minutes

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. 31-59 minutes

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. 1-2 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Greater than 2 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Voted absentee

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  7. Not eligible to vote

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Didn't vote - don't care

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. Don't live in the USA

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  10. Rather not say

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Pretty simple question. I walked into my polling place at 7:16 AM and left at 7:24 AM.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Early voted last Tuesday... Less than 30 min.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Voted the 1st day of early voting about 2 weeks ago. Took less than 10 minutes from beginning to end.

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

How Long Did It Take To Cast Your Ballot?

Oregon is on what amounts to 100% absentee voting. Everyone got their ballot in the mail, weeks ago. You can throw a stamp on it or visit one of the curbside white mailboxes. You miss out on the feeling of community participation but voter participation is dramatically better.

Though to answer your question, we spent several hours researching the initiatives. Gmo labeling wasn't a lock, until we read that US food companies already label their food for sale in many dozen other countries, wiping out the hardship argument. Can't even get equivalent to other places from our own people!

5. aaronvan, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

My absentee ballot went in about three weeks ago. I haven't been inside a voting booth since I pulled the lever for Bill Clinton in 1992.

6. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I was in and out within 10 minutes. It took me longer to cast my ballot than to stand in line. I was the 64th person to vote in my precinct at 7:45am.

By contrast, it took me about 2 hours to vote in the 2012 election.

I'm kinda liking Oregon's system...

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

8. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

2 hours is really bad :(.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I did early voting last week and it took about 5 minutes in Florida for me.
    It was actually a little depressing because no one was there. When I pulled up one person was leaving and when I left 5 minutes later one person was pulling in the parking lot.

The polling place opened at 7am. I went before work around 7:45am and was expecting a 30 minute plus wait figuring people would be hitting the poling place before work. I asked the poll worker checking me in how many people showed up and he said I was the 5th person. :eek:

Now I can see why they shortened early voting from 14 days to 10 days.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Colorado did mail in ballots this year. I ended up making a mistake in mine by accidently voting for Hickenlooper. I had to go in and get a new ballot and filled it out there. Took about 20 minutes in all.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I voted a while ago with an absentee ballot so didn't take long at all.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

A simple question with ten possible answers?

15. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I tried to cover several time spans. Didn't want to leave our foreign friends with no option. The number of answers doesn't make it any more complex.

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Voted the day we got the ballot in the mail (in Colorado). Dropped it off at an election center as opposed to mailing it.

A couple of minutes to fill in the appropriate spaces and it was done. That does not, however, include the time reading about some of the issues, like GMO labeling, Amendment 67, etc.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

not to mention all of the judges. I hate voting for judges. It is so hard to find any information about them.

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

The problem with Florida in 2012 was there were a lot of amendments on the ballot which were very long and wordy. This lead to people spending way to long in the polling booth reading through these amendments causing the lines to backup. We all get sample ballots and I had mine with me with the votes I would cast and it still took me well over 5 minutes to go through the whole ballot.

I haven't heard of any long wait issues this year as the ballot only has 3 amendments on it.

19. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I always vote no on judges.

20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Not voting. I have no idea who's who and what is even what and I will not vote just to vote.

21. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

The wife and I just voted. Our district votes at a country club down the street, nice place :) Plenty of parking, less than 15 minutes to check in, get the ballot, mark our votes, submit the ballot. Chatted up some folks in the parking lot asking about my car, drove down the store, beautiful day, didn’t want to come home :D

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I generally do that as well. But I hate doing that when I could be voting against a good judge.

23. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Most judges are OK, but I think judges should be replaced every 10 years or so. Just like politicians - it's a great pity we don't have term limits at the federal level for the legislative branch.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's really bad. the U.S. needs more moderates to vote.

25. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I don't live in the USofA but in the last municipal election (uh two weeks ago now?) It took me about 5 minutes to vote for Mayor, councilor, and school board trustee. They make it really hard for me not to vote... the polling station was in my condo's party room. ;)

The longest it's taken me to vote was the last federal election, it took about 10 minutes... and I had to walk across the street to vote in the community centre. That's the benefits of living in the city I guess. :D