How long did it take you to adjust to the bigger phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nhlfreak98, Nov 3, 2015.

1. nhlfreak98 macrumors 6502

I upgraded couple weeks ago to the 6s from a 5s, It took me like a day to get used to it, but now I seem to have slight palm pain in both hands. What about you?

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I just moved to a 6S Plus from a 6. I find the 6 to be the most comfortable size possible in the hand. You'll definitely adjust. Before the 6 I had a Galaxy S3, almost exactly the size of the iPhone 6. I was coming from a 3.7" screen before that and the GS3 seemed HUGE when I first unboxed it. That's my default baseline size now. I'd never go lower than a 6. Right now I'm doing my best to embrace the Plus. My hands are sort of craving the 6, but my eyes are loving the 6S Plus.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I still haven't gotten fully used to anything bigger than 4". I'd gone with a 4.3" android initially but that was just barely too big to be able to use one handed regularly I stuck with it for about a year but didn't totally get used to it. Now I switched back to the iPhone with the 6+ it's better since the size doesn't tempt me to use it with one hand but I'm still not used to it, there's just no better options.

4. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

I went from 6 to 6S+ and it literally took no time to adjust. Just wish I'd done it earlier. Couldn't be happier.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

How do you like (or dislike) the weight difference? I thought I'd not like it but I immediately appreciated the heft when I picked it up in the store. This year's phone really feels so much more solid/durable/substantial.

6. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Depends on hand size and how you hold it. I had that for a short time. But, would say after 3 weeks, or so, it felt fine. The bigger screen is so much nicer when watching movies or gaming.

7. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

It's ironic that people with small hands may actually adapt to a 6+ from a 6 more easily than people with big hands. I have truly giant hands, I'm 6'8, size 17 feet with hands to match, yet I'm finding it difficult to go from a 6 to a + because I used the 6 almost exclusively one handed with no shifting needed, but the + is just too big to use as a 1 handed phone. People with smaller hands probably used 2 hands on the 6 anyway, so going to a + isn't a huge change.

8. nhlfreak98 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow must be hard finding shoes! Lol

9. mirz2000 macrumors regular

Yes I can attest to this! I have small hands and have had no trouble adjusting from a 5S to 6S+. Like you said, I used two hands with 5S too... Love the bigger screen!

Also I think thumb length has more to do with the ergonomics than hand size...

10. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

I went from iPhone 5 to Note 3 and it took me about three weeks to be completely comfortable with its size

11. nhlfreak98 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with you about the thumb, shorter the thumb harder to reach around the screen

12. chasonstone macrumors regular

chasonstone

I went from a 5 to a 6+ last year, within a few days I was used to the size and now holding my friends and families 5's and 5S's is so so strange to me.

13. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I like being able to put the phone in my pocket then forget about it. I considered the 6+ but went with the 6 for that reason. It was a nice upgrade from the 5 that I had before that. I'll be getting the 7 when it's released next year. Really considering the Plus version. Just hoping that I won't find that it's to big.

14. chasonstone macrumors regular

chasonstone

FWIW, I don't really notice my 6 Plus in my pockets. Sure it's bigger, but I never really noticed my 5 in my pocket and I don't really notice any different feelings since the plus. I have yet to find a pocket on my jeans, pants, shorts, or anything that it doesn't fit in.

15. thatanonymoususer, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I have to agree with you on this. I've never quite fully adjusted to the plus size. My hands are significantly big enough that I can almost one-hand the plus-size, so my brain tries to get me to use it one-handed, but it's obvious to me that it's a 2-hand device when I use it as a 2-handed device.

When I cup the back with two hands to use the portrait typing, I'm overlapping my hands quite a bit. Landscape mode on the plus-sized phone is always a little awkward due to the tools on the sides. On the 6 or smaller, I can easily type one handed, but the speed that comes from typing two-handed can really only be obtained in landscape mode or else I'm a bit cramped. When I'm using it as a 2-handed device, I almost want a bigger phone, but as it is now, it feels like a slightly bigger than one-handed phone.

It's stuff like that that makes me wish that Apple would replace reachability with the OneHandWizard jailbreak mod for when I'm carrying coffee where you do the reachability double-tap and this happens(Picture stolen from the BigBoss repo):
    onehandwizard1.jpg

Back to OP's original question, I can't say that I've experienced hand discomfort since I had BlackBerry thumb with the original Samsung Alias: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_SCH-U740

EDIT: 2am me is a bit complainey - I really am enjoying my 6s+ quite thoroughly.

16. MaxBga macrumors regular

MaxBga

Went from a 6 to a 6 Plus like 6 months ago. I felt like it was very huge for like 24hours, then I felt like it was like a normal sized phone.. When I look at it I can't even tell that it's huge if there's no phone to compare.

Reachability on iOs 8 is very useful when I use it one handed, otherwise I love the screen size and I'm not going back to a smaller one.

You get used to it, but it depends on you for how long will it take I guess

17. tann macrumors 68000

I went from a 6 to 6S+ and took me about 5 minutes to adjust lol.

This is after last year I would hold the Plus and think "wow, this is WAY to big!"

Now holding a 6/6S it feels like a tiny toy! Also I'm only 5'4 with small hands so if I can do it anyone can! You get used to a mostly two handed device surprisingly fast. Also that battery life is killer!

18. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

About 5 minutes I think. I picked up my 5S after about 15 minutes with my 6S Plus, and it felt tiny.

19. m3lover1 macrumors newbie

I'm used to the size. First iPhone since the 5, been using dozens of androids since now. Was curious again how iPhone is nowadays, so already used to the big size. What I do notice is the weight. Didn't think it would be this big of a difference compared to the note 5

20. Anand953 macrumors regular

21. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Same as above. I never use one handed anyway. Came from an iPhone 5s

22. fardeenah macrumors regular

i'm going for the 6s because 6s plus is way too big. i wish i could test drive both phones first but in my country we simply can't try and return it back like u guys do in the US

23. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Love the screen size, hate the physical dimensions of the phone - The 6S is still to big for me to use comfortably.

If they could fit a 4.7" screen into a body roughly the width and height of the 5S then I'd be very, very happy.

24. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I went from the 5s to the 6s+, and it took me a few weeks to get decently comfortable with it. My eyes love it but my hands still yearn for the 6s-regular size. I'm a huge proponent of complete one-handed operation.

At least the pocketability isn't too bad, with the clothes that I have.

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

No getting used to it, I reveled in it and love my larger iPhones.