How long do I have to enroll in AppleCare after I purchase a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac.fanatic, Jul 21, 2012.

1. mac.fanatic macrumors 6502

What is the time frame that Apple Allows me to enroll in AppleCare once I buy a computer?

Also, if I were to buy the computer from Best Buy, would the rules still be the same to enroll in AppleCare if the computer isn't bought from Apple.com or a retail store? Best Buy's geek squad warranty sounds better than AppleCare but its twice as expensive. So if I were to buy a Mac from Best Buy and decide not to enroll in AppleCare right then, how long do I have to make a decision before it's too late?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It doesn't where or for how much you purchased your computer. Additionally, you have 1 year to enroll.

Personally I'd go for Apple Care since it goes through Apple for repairs, instead of Bestbuy. Bestbuy has some perks (I believe) such as accidental damage (not sure - would have to check).

Also applecare can be found cheaper online on websites such as bh photo video.

4. mac.fanatic thread starter macrumors 6502

I would be buying the computer with Apple's Education Pricing. For that, they offer AppleCare for $186 vs. $250 for regular pricing. Would I be able to still purchase AppleCare for $186 later on or would I have to pay the full price?

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I think if you purchase later it would be full price - B&H Video sells AppleCare for 13inch for $190 shipped. So you can purchase later for basically the same price.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Same price, so long as you are still a student. The Applecare price doesn't change.

It's really good deal though. I've had a lot of work done on my laptop which would've costed over 2,000$

7. Kirk286 macrumors newbie

Applecare.

I'd get the Apple care. I bought a Mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro in October 2010 from BestBuy in Montreal, and even though I got it cheap as it was a display model, I could buy the apple care later, and apple customer care agreed to start the free 1st year warranty from date of purchase, not date of registration in the store. Subsequently I had to have the machine repaired through Apple in Hungary where we live, through my own fault - a memory upgrade which went wrong. Apple repaired the machine, installed the memory correctly (Not sure what went wrong initially as not much can go wrong) and I had the machine back inside a week. This is in a country which only had resellers at the time.
    In short, the apple care paid for itself within the first 2 years. Very very impressed and excellent customer service made it worth it in my case.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're still eligible for the education discount when you decide to purchase Applecare you can get the discounted price.