How long do you think Apple could go without updating anything and still be leader?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applefan289, Sep 30, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

It seems people will buy Apple products no matter what.

But if theoretically Apple decided not to come out with anything new, how long do you think it would be before the majority notices it and looks elsewhere?

I personally feel it could be years before the mass gets the whiff that the products are outdated compared to other companies.

But I honestly feel Apple would remain as successful as it is now for a few years.

What are your ideas on this?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I think it will be when competitors are able to produce a product that is as refined, classy, and appealing as apple. It also needs to be cheap enough for people to get. When will windows and Android be stable enough? Your guess is as good as mine. But I bet the current iPhone could still have strong sales for another year.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They could get away with the iPhone, iPad and iPods without updating for a while, but if they don't get 10.7.2 out soon, the OS will be losing users (not like it's even the leader now), and the computers need updated just as often as everyone else does.

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I think you're wrong. In regard to the OS, they'll lose users to what? Windows? I highly doubt it. If someone has purchased Lion and they put Snow Leopard on it, Apple isn't losing any users.

On a daily basis I use 5 Macs with Lion (10.7 and 10.7.1) and the biggest (and only issue) I have is tabs in Safari not closing unless you switch to a different tab first.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

1 year max. After that people expect new hardware and software and get a bit crazy if they don't get it.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Snow Leopard. So Apple isn't losing users, but it shows that they aren't moving forward with their software.