How long does a computer last you?

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
I am very curious to know how long a computer lasts you, i ask this because i cannot have one last more than 10 months maximum a year.
Thanks

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
My current iBook is 19 months old, and my former Mac, a Pismo bought in February 2000, i.e. more than 5 years ago is still going strong. My girlfriend has taken over that and use it everyday in her job as designer (web and print).

My old PowerMac 7500 and even my Performa 630 from 1994 should work just fine (I just haven't booted them in a while).

What are you doing with your computers...???

Mood

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
NY
1st computer (old crappy zenith cyrix processor)
lasted 4 years

2nd computer
dell dimension 8200
lasted 4 years and continuing (for another 2-3 years)

apple powerbook/ibook????
6 years

the more expensive the investment, the longer you'll keep it. Thus buying cheap computers is not a bad idea, to stay on top of the technology curve.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
My iMac G4 800 15" is running fine, but will be four years old right around WWDC 2006, just about time to upgrade, I think. :)

My PowerBook G4 1.33 is almost exactly a year old, and going strong.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
I think an important distinction here is what does "last" mean? Do you mean your computers don't work after 9-12 months, or that they're unable to handle the software they need to, or that they just aren't shiny enough anymore?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Switzermac said:
I am very curious to know how long a computer lasts you, i ask this because i cannot have one last more than 10 months maximum a year.
Thanks
That is a very sad post. I also wonder it is causing you Mac to only last 10 months. I'm typing on an iBook that will be four years old next month. My main Power Mac will be five years old in September.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
I can get 4-5years out of a mac before i simply can't run the new software at all, or at least fast enough to be useful

PCs however seem to last me about 2years tops before a Graphics card, and maybe CPU and RAM upgrade are needed, possibly because i use my PC for games, not sure how long it would go for using it like i do my macs

Thats purely based on performance, and my requirements, my oldest mac (LC475) still works as good as when it was new...

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
The PC in my sig. is about 4 years old and still performs well considering all the tasks I throw at it. However, over the years I've pretty much replaced/upgraded every component of the computer with the exception of the case, mobo and proc. However, only one of those hardware changes was required - the PSU failed and had to be replaced.

While my Mac mini is only 4 months old I expect it will last me 3 years at least.

If you buy a machine that has mid-high specs at purchase it should last you about 4 years on average I would think. As another poster has already stated though, much depends on what you consider a functional computer to be.

I want to build a new AMD X2 based system, probably 6-12 months from now. After I build that PC, my old PC will become a dedicated web server. Right now it's a webserver but I still do a lot of other things on it so it's working overtime. Fortunately my site is just a personal board for friends and is therefore very low traffic.

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
My B&W has lasted me since it pretty much came out granted it has had quite a few upgrades I am just now looking into a faster computer since its having a hard time keeping up with the system reqs of the new apps like iLife. The B&W came out somewhere around 2000.

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
my comps get broken etc within 10 to 12 months so i need new ones to replace them

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
My original Apple //c lasted just about ten years - I finally replaced it with a Magnavox laptop (386/sx!) second semester of college. That laptop lasted me from Spring 1992 to Summer 1997 - it was replaced with a Dell Pentium II (233 MHz!) that lasted until late 2002, when I replaced it with various used Beige G3 and Blue/Whites with processor upgrades.

Gods willing my new iMac will be functionally useful to me for at least five years, and thereafter still functional for another 2-3.

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
feakbeak said:
Can you elaborate? If you are having software and/or hardware problems perhaps someone here can provide some help or advice.
Well i break (punch) the screen drop them, accidentaly and intentionaly

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
In our family, most of our computers (PeeCees) last 5 or more years. The expception was my old Sony desktop, which gave out after 2.5 years. Just waiting to see how long this PowerBook lasts... :cool:

glui2001

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2004
4 - 5 years in general. It's really a testament to how great Macs are. They last really long!

Here's my breakdown of the Mac's I've had.

Quadra 610 : ~5 years
PowerCenter 133 : ~ 6 years
Quicksilver 733: currently ~ 3 years
Powerbook 1.5Ghx: currently ~ 1 year

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Switzermac said:
Well i break (punch) the screen drop them, accidentaly and intentionaly
Dude -- you've got a lot of rage....

Consider some deep breathing or counting to ten. Maybe some meditation to develop some patience and contentment.

As for me, I bought my TiBook in Feb., 2001.
It's been to six countries on three continents (and will add two countries and a fourth continent in October). It's undergone replacement of the HD (upgrade) and optical drive as well as minor repairs to the latch and hinges. It's survived walking out of downtown Manhattan on 9/11 and written an entire book due out next year (shameless plug).
I could get a new mac, I suppose. But I'll probably do just fine with this one for some time yet.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
My last computer, a Quicksilver G4 867Mhz PowerMac lasted 110 million seconds.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
My G3 Powerbook lasted 6 years. Still ran okay, but had to change to G4 when I couldn't surf on the web anymore (233 Mhz, 2 G HD).

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Switzermac said:
manufactural faults not accidents
If that is the case most major computer manufacturers do provide a 1-year warranty on new computers - get them to fix it. It might just be an inexpensive component, such as when the power supply went on my PC - not a big deal and that computer has been kicking for years since then without a problem.

Tahko

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2005
Finnland
All I've ever owned are PC's, and I think they have lasted 3-5 years excluding component upgrades. My current desktop (1,4ghz) is maybe 4 years old but its power supply is experiencing near-death failures and its Samsung HD has blown apart twice.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Starting a decade ago- 1 laptop per year.
tangerinE Rev-B iBook lasted until I was hit by a car. 4 years?
Current PB- still runnin strong at 1.5, and I guess that it should work for me for at least 1.5 more years.

For audio work, LAG is always best, at least in my studio, but 2-3 years is pretty long in the tooth. For internet, wordprocessing, etc... I guess 5 years is good before the machine really starts showing its age.

I have a Tandy 1100 in my garage with machine code programs on tape and a 300 buad acustic modem, it still works! Thats... 15 years old I think.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
beige matchbox said:
I can get 4-5years out of a mac before i simply can't run the new software at all, or at least fast enough to be useful
I've had three macs in 16 years.

IIcx from 1989-1996
PowerMac 7500 from 1996-2003
iMac G4 from 2003-present

(well, I guess 4, because I had a Duo210 for a few years, but didn't use it a lot, and it became quickly outdated)

The first two were getting pretty long in the tooth, although a couple of small upgrades kept them going a bit longer. Given prices have been coming down, I suspect my G4 will be traded in/retired before 2010.

Of course, I've never punched my computer. And I don't need the latest/greatest to do most of what I need (not that I wouldn't want to have it, but I don't have all the money in the world).