How long does the iPhone 4s battery last before it needs to be replaced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Nov 22, 2012.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I have had my phone for a year and a month and I think it's started to drain faster. Is it possible that the battery is not as powerful as it was? Is it possible to change it?

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Yes, it's technically user replaceable. This teardown and this iPhone 4S battery replacement look like they should do the job.

As a note, my launch day iPhone 4S seems to have perfectly fine battery life.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

And yes it makes sense that batteries would begin to noticeably lose charge after a year and a half and I have been noticing this issue slightly also but not to much to warrant a replacement for me. Maybe you should try calibrating the battery before replacing it (Calibrate by fully draining it and then charging it all the way up to 100% to allow the electrons to move).
    It would be safer to take the battery to an Apple store/Authorised servicer as when I tried replacing the battery I broke the pins by using to much force. It is quite difficult to replace the battery but it can be done using spares from iFixit etc. However if you think you can do it by all means give it a go.

MM

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

After about a year they say you have about 80% charging capacity left in the battery. So it's life is cut down by 20%. But there really is no way of saying. Everyone's battery will act differently in a year. It depends on how you treat it.