How long has the big YouTube Play button been showing up in Safari?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ying yang, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ying yang macrumors regular

I just noticed this on a webpage. A YT video with a finger sized play button in the center. I tap it and The YT app slides in and plays. When it's over it slides back out and Sarari's still there underneath, unclosed. No related video list or anything, the app just closes again. How long have I been stupidly missing this or is it new in 2.1?

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

As far as I can recall, this has been there since the inclusion of 2.0.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Really? I hadn't seen that in 2.0. I was still getting the "lol you don't have flash" plugin box:

[​IMG]

But now, YouTube videos are showing as the Op described, and that started for me in 2.1

4. cc999 macrumors 6502

5. ying yang thread starter macrumors regular

http://icanlol.com/iphone/

That's where I noticed it. The ninja cat video.

Or go to reddit.com and click any "watch" links at the end of a story listing and YT video should drop down.

6. cc999 macrumors 6502

cool

You are right! Pretty cool.......Thanks for the url..... never noticed this before must be with the 2.1 update.

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It was definitely there in 2.0, only for embedded YouTube videos. That box or notification still comes up for any Flash videos that aren't from YouTube. ;)

8. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

been there since 2.0 ive been updating our fantasy football league and these boxes come up for us to view clips on our homepage

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Ditto, I've only ever used 2.0 since I have a 3G. That large play button has always been there for me.

10. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

I think I remember this feature on a tvguide webpage when I had 2.0 installed

11. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

It also allows the playing of QuickTime videos from Safari. I'm not sure how long this functionality has been there since I only took note of it after 2.1

12. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure you could always play quicktime videos. The ability to play embedded youtube videos came in 2.0. It was pretty annoying before that, because if a website had an embedded clip, but not a link to the clip on youtube, there was no way to play it.

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You took the words right out of my mouth!