How long have you done without sleep.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I'm into my 32nd hour. I can't fall asleep because my head fells like it's about to explode. I had a urgent project that needed to be done ASAP, and like me, I waited until the last possible moment.

I'm charted unexplored territory right now...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I also want to ad I only had 3 hours of sleep the previous night before going thsi long without sleep. It's daylite now, so it's hard to fall assleep, since I live in a downtown city.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Hmm... I think I hit 50-or so when a final project was due in back in June '03. We [the three of us] hadn't started it on the Friday as it was due to be presented on Monday.

We dropped everything, piled into one guy's living room, and spent the next 2 days solid coding, watching the Discovery channel -drinking Red Bull and popping Pro Plus. Good times... :rolleyes:

Other than that, I hit 35 quite regularly. My South Park guy (see recent thread) has insomniac, bloodied eyes for a reason.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
i have a personal record of 47 hours, and regularly do about 30

when i do sleep it is for about 3.5 hours.. i just find it, such a wast of time

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I've "only" been awake for 42 hours in a row without sleep, and that was just once. I think afterwards I then slept for 14+ hours in a row, so I kind of made up for it. ;)

Back in university though, going through Engineering, I definitely pulled quite a few 30+ hour days without sleep, and now with work, I still try and sleep every night, but every once and a while I'll need to go without sleep, or only get 3-4 hours/night. And then throw traveling in there as well, crossing the international date line and time zones and all that, and that can add on the hours as well depending on the circumstances. :cool:

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Lacero said:
I'm into my 32nd hour. I can't fall asleep because my head fells like it's about to explode. I had a urgent project that needed to be done ASAP, and like me, I waited until the last possible moment.

I'm charted unexplored territory right now...
You need to get off the forum and get your work done!

And so do I. ;)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
about 42 hours a couple weeks ago working on an end of the year project for school and hated it. but besides that i usually go no more than 20 hours without sleep. i love sleep. slept about 14hrs last night :D

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
Longest ever been awake was about 40 hours, when I was finishing up my undergrad thesis.

sjpetry said:
The real question is what it the longest you have slept.

A few years back, when I had surgery, I couldn't sleep at all, other than in short bursts, in the hospital. When I got home, I think I slept for close to 36 hours.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
still awake. I think i'll wait til evening before trying to go to sleep. mY bodoy is so sore right now, can't see straigt even.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I don't keep perfect count, but somewhere between 72 and 96 hours. (3-4 full days.) Buddies and I had a 5-day weekend, and we decided to have a "SAT Study Session."

Super Smash Brothers, pool, movies, ping pong, texas holdem, and goldeneye for 24/7.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
The longest for was 30 hours. My wife went into labor for our first child and I couldn't sleep knowing I was going to be a father for the first time.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I've been up over 60 hours or so - not fun. Things get a little weird after 2 days.....I don't think I could do that now, though - I did it when I was about 20 and in school.

D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Mr. Anderson said:
I've been up over 60 hours or so - not fun. Things get a little weird after 2 days.....I don't think I could do that now, though - I did it when I was about 20 and in school.

D
Yes, weird things do indeed happen. I still remember being in Ottawa on a trip and visiting the OmniMax IMAX at the Museum of Civilization. Me and a friend (both sleep deprived) were watching "Mystery of the Maya" and I started hallucinating and the Mayans were speaking to me. After the movie, we walked out and I said, "You know, this is going to sound crazy but -" and then my friend said, "They were talking to you, too?"

And there's a sign that you really need to get some sleep... :cool: