How long is the power cord that ships with the new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 212rikanmofo, Apr 22, 2015.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

It doesn't look it comes with an extension cord like other macbooks, but if I have one laying around from my other macbook, can I use it with the new power brick that comes with the new MacBook Retina?

2. saifrc macrumors member

Most reports say that the extension cord from other Mac chargers will work with the charger for the new MacBook.

It sounds like the cord from the brick to the computer is a 6-foot USB-C to USB-C cord, which is detachable, but only good for charging (no data transfer).

3. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

yes, it fits and works fine.

Attached Files:

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The rMB comes with a charging cord that is over six feet long. Which is leaps longer than any of the charger cords I have from my previous four MBAs.

5. melb00m macrumors regular

Seriously? That seems odd, why would it not allow data transfer.

6. saifrc macrumors member

I'm only repeating what I've read others report, but I've seen this kind of thing before. Sometimes a cable looks like a USB cable, but it only carries the pins/wires for power, and not the pins/wires for data. I think it's cheaper to manufacture. It's too bad if it's true, because it would be nice to have a USB-C data cable as a free accessory.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I would take "reports" for a grain of salt. Before the rMB launched people claimed the charging cord was the same length of as an iPad cord - not.

;)

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

It's definitely longer, but unfortunately the power brick no longer has the 'holds' to wrap the cord around for travel/storage. The omission of the AC extension that all previous MacBooks have come with in recent memory is also a cheap-a$$ move by Apple. I could understand if it was priced the same as a MBA, but not at 50% more.

9. newellj macrumors 601

This is a hunch, not a promise - the cable Apple supplies is quite thick, so it probably as quite a few conductors in it, so it probably is a fully capable USB-C cable. That hunch is worth everything you paid for it... ;)

10. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

From the Apple Store:

"The 2-meter USB-C Charge Cable is a charging cable with USB-C connectors on both ends. Use it with the Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter (sold separately) to conveniently charge your MacBook with USB-C port from a wall outlet. It also supports USB 2 for syncing and data transfer between USB-C devices."

From the Apple MacBook support area:

"Directly connect the 2-meter USB-C Charge Cable and the 29W USB-C Power Adapter to charge your computer. These are included in the box with your MacBook. You can also use the USB-C Charge Cable to transfer data between your MacBook and other USB-C devices at USB 2.0 speeds."

I think it's pretty well defined. Unless of course, it changes. :D

11. newellj macrumors 601

Infinitely better than a hunch - excellent post!

12. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

But why only 2.0 speeds???

13. KPOM macrumors G5

To transfer data at USB 3.0 speeds requires additional wiring.

14. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

As pointed out the extension works, but even without it the included USB-C cable is long enough. In fact I think it's just right. It becomes too cumbersome when it's too long.

15. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

I like the iBook two prong extension cable. Much less bulky.

16. dyt1983, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to thread.

17. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

I would guess that above and beyond the price advantage, there is probably a thinness advantage. Keep in mind that a 2 meter cable requires larger gauge wire to limit voltage drop.

18. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Yeah, that is a bit of a given. So Apple provides a USB 2.0 charger cable with type C connectors. Actually kind of lame. You don't get the extension cable and you don't get a proper USB 3.x cable. I mean I guess its better than no data capabilities at all, but this also means things like charger bricks with onboard peripheral hubs are not a viable product unless they ship with their own cable. Just a bit of a let down, that's all.

Edit: Good post by dyt1983, and I get the trade-offs...2m long 4.8mm diameter cable would actually be pretty cumbersome in a laptop bag, would probably defeat the purpose...but still disappointing.

19. newellj macrumors 601

I haven't gone back to the tech specs, but I'm 99.9999% sure that USB C can support speeds greater than current USB 3.0, and that the implementation in the rMB will support at least 5 mb/s.

20. magbarn macrumors 68000

Has anyone tried connecting two rMB's together to see if target disk mode works?

21. dyt1983, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to thread.

22. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

The best practice with a laptop is to never have anything on it that you can't delete without thinking. With DropBox and iCloud, that's pretty easy to achieve.

Heck, I even keep images of non-App Store install discs in the cloud so that I can do a clean install on the road.

23. JKNorth macrumors member

The cable is about 6" longer than my MBPr power cable.

But USB 2.0? Geez, that's a little lame. (Not that there's anything to plug into with USB-C yet...)

24. newellj macrumors 601

In fairness, it's explicitly sold as a charging cable, not a data cable.