How Long of an AppleCare Turnaround Should I Tolerate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy123, Feb 8, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

My 17" MacBook Pro had to be sent in to the repair facility because it was literately melting the end of multiple chargers. That was 9 days ago, and they are still waiting for a part(it doesn't say which, though I suppose that it is the DC-in board).

Without it, I am slowly falling behind on a huge project for school, and am completely without computers(typing this on iPad, typing or grammatical errors do not reflect my intelligence level ;) ).

I'm being patient, and I'm not really mad about it. Stuff happens, but how long should I wait before I am in the clear to call Apple for a better solution?

PS: I know that 9 days is not a long repair time. I'm using this thread for suggestions on how long is too long and what I should do when it has been too long.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Check with them to see if you can get a loaned machine
    I, and some others, have been offered that option in the past

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Although a loaned machine would be nice, my project is on my MacBook's hard drive.
    It's a 17" MBP mid 2009 with 2 years of AppleCare remaining, if it makes a difference.
    Also, should Apple comp me a charger, considering that the computer was at fault and I've already bought 2 of them to have them melt? It's not a big deal if not, but the cost of $80 chargers quickly adds up.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I hope you backed up your HD before taking it in :eek:

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I couldn't have done so. It was dead by the time I discovered the melted plastic that had once been my charger. :rolleyes:

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Without getting into the ethics, if Apple proper is not able to give you a loaner, you could buy and return (w/in 14 days) a new laptop since Apple removed restocking fees.

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I think the OPs problem isn't not having a machine (I'm sure a school would have machines that students could use). It's that he didn't have his data backed up, and couldn't do so before sending it into Apple. Therefore, he simply doesn't have his data to work with at the moment.

In my opinion, OP, you should just start over on the project if it's possible. If something melted, it really might take a while for Apple to fix this issue. If you can't start over, you really have no choice but to sit tight. If Apple doesn't have the parts available, there's nothing they can do for you...

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

See if Apple will give you a note about the failure ... maybe your instructors will give you an extension for the project.

good luck

9. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I thought apple care covered the attachments like a charger, the MBP apple care even covers the time capsule I bought last year

10. zenio macrumors 6502

Apple does a pretty good job. Beyond that it's out of your control.

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay, about the project. It's not that huge of a deal as long as I get it back in the next week or so. It's a slideshow for high school Biology. It's a large project, but I can probably cram to get it done.

I can't start over because I have no computer on which to work, and I simply don't want to make a slideshow on iPad(been there,it isn't pretty).

My teacher is pretty lenient with me because I consistently turn in high quality work on time. Maybe I'll get an extention. :eek:

Do you guys think I'm out of line asking Apple for a new charger as well?

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You should absolutely call Apple and explain that you need the machine back, and see what options they are willing to offer. There's no guarantee that they'll help you out, but it never hurts to ask. Just be polite and remember that they really do want to help you usually, and chances are they'll try to get things resolved quicker for you.

jW

13. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

always, back-up.

I use a 2TB time capsule and time machine.

You could buy a new machine and have a clone of your old machine quite rapidly that way. You could finish the project and then return the new machine for a refund. Then, when your old machine returns, make a clone of your "new" machine on the old machine.

14. dvh13 macrumors newbie

Asking for a new charger is not out of line at all. Faulty hardware literally melted your charger, and the charger is covered under applecare. If I were you I would ask for refunds on the all of the chargers you have bought as replacements that the machine has ruined.

15. sdneidich macrumors member

I agree. +1

16. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I bought one of the chargers used on eBay, so I'm not going to ask to be refunded for that, but I will ask for a new one when my computer is returned.

17. zappafan macrumors newbie

In the three years I've had my 15" MBP it has had 3 new batteries and 3 new power supplies (and a new optical drive and motherboard) and they have ALL been FREE under the AppleCare policy (and they were all changed in stores in the UK & USA.

The motherboard was changed within 24 hours at one of the New York stores (Upper West Side) and I only had to leave the MBP with them overnight. Obviously that was due to them having the part in stock.

I would suggest calling them up and asking them how they are doing and when they think they'll have it done. If part/s are the issue, ask them if other stores in your area have stock and maybe take your MBP to them for repair (I did this for the motherboard when the Indiana store did not have the part in stock).

Good luck with your repair, bottom-line from my experience is AppleCare ROCKS!!!

18. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

My Mac has been shipped off to some out of state repair center. I don't even know where it is. How on Earth could Apple's regional repair center be out of a part?

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I've had my charger replaced twice already under AppleCare. No issues with doing that.

20. Detrius macrumors 68000

Don't forget that snow has been dumping across the country. That tends to slow down FedEx.

21. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Hello,

If you have a case number for your repair, all you have to do is call the applecare number you called to get the repair done or call the store and push the button to be transferred over to the national call center.

The tech will be able to tell you what has happened and what they are having to do. Most likely they will even give you an idea of when you can expect the repair to be done.

9 days is a little long IMHO. The shipping is doen overnight so it will have been in their hands for 8 days.

Wonder what else they are finding out about your machine since its been there so long.

22. DesmoPilot, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

5-7 Business days at the most. At my shop we typically turn around Apple Warranty repairs in 3-4 days (1 day for diagnostics, 1-2 for parts shipping 1 for installation/testing of parts). Issues and delays arise when the customer's complaint is of an intermittent nature (ie, the unit will freeze once a week forcing me to hold down the power button etc) as we do need to replicate the issue before the warranty can be honored.

Easily happens for high-demand parts such as 8600 logic boards and MacBook top cases.

23. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I do hope that melted chargers is nit too common. That'd be downright scary!
    I'm going to call them tomorrow. The part still is on order. What number is it? the same as tech support? Customer relations?

24. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Here you go:
    U.S. iPod, Mac and iPad technical support: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273)

25. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Was just about to call them when I check and it said product return pending. :D
    Should be here in a few days then? Time to get to work on that project.