How long to you have to buy Applecare for the iPhone 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steffi, Dec 29, 2014.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

3. Hoppesangen macrumors member

Yeah you have 60 days from the date of purchase! It's so worth it, saved me $269 when my phone had a random no power issue after the regular 1 year warranty expired.

4. jaarso macrumors member

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the savings more like $169?. Applecare itself is $100 up front. Then there is an $80 deductible for an accidental damage claim but yours was a no power issue which I don't think there would be the $80 deductible.

I had been buying applecare the past couple of years for my family's devices (4 phones for self, wife, and kids). Earlier this year I accidentally drowned my iPhone 5S. I had to pay the $80 deductible and so that was actually $180 out of pocket when I could have spent $269 if I didn't have it. I decided to skip the applecare for our iPhone 6's. I am looking at it like this: With Applecare-I would have to pay $400 regardless of what happens and a possible $80 each incident for accidental damage. Without Applecare- I pay nothing up front at all and if the screen breaks on our iPhone 6's, Apple only charges $109 for an out of warranty screen replacement (cheaper than older iPhone's). If worse happens, pay $299 at most for an out of warranty repair fee. Otherwise if nothing happens, I save $400 to begin with.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You didn't save $269 but more like $169.

You could have saved $269 had you not purchased AC+ and instead purchased your iPhone using an Amex card or equivalent as it'd cover warranty defects in the second year.

6. Hoppesangen macrumors member

I guess it's more like $169 but If I didn't have the applecare at all it would have cost $269 out of warranty or $649 for a new phone. It's really more for my own peace of mind because who knows what can happen in two years when you own a phone and even if you don't spend the $79 for a accidental damage fee, if you get your phone swapped after the first you year pretty much made your money back with Applecare+

Basically I meant that by getting my phone swapped after the first year I got my moneys worth and then some with applecare. Not everyone has an Amex card dude so you shouldn't assume that option haha!

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Many Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards offer extended warranty coverage, not just Amex, although Amex is the best one and most hassle free.

8. trife macrumors 6502

trife

The problem with going that route is that those credit card warranties generally don't cover accidental damage. That's the only reason I pony up the $$ for AC+. It's a lifesaver when you have a 3-yr old.

9. predation macrumors 6502a

I'd have to agree. My 2 year old thinks it's fun throwing my phone down a flight of stairs. Lmao

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They do cover accidental damage 3 out of 12 months I have the iPhone (when people tend to want to check out the new iPhone) and I upgrade yearly. But, yes, if you're rather accident prone and have a proven track record of damaging your iPhones AC+ is the way to go.

11. Clevans macrumors regular

You have 60 days from the date of purchase, although if you are within a few days they have the ability to put in for a once per apple ID lifetime override. I missed my 60 day window by 2 days, and was able to purchase AC+ for my 6+ using my one time every override

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Biggest reason credit card warranties will not mean much to some people:
    1) Accidental damage is only good for a couple of months
    2) They only cover whaetevr portion of the phone you put on the card

Point two is the big one. Buying on contract? They'll cover the $200, $300, or $400 you paid (so the more you paid the better off you are). I do believe it is generally only one replacement, though on a $300 device that is basically one free replacement. Buying on a Next or Edge plan? You are essentially completely SOL.

As an added warranty I couldn't care less, personally. My phone gets replaced yearly whether I want to (hold back the urge) or not.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's why it makes sense to buy at least the 64 gigs on contract ($299 plus tax for the iPhone 6) when purchasing with Amex. The out of warranty replacement cost is also $299 plus tax so you'll be made whole by Amex.

It won't work with Next or Edge. You put $0 down, you'll get reimbursed $0.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

The slippery bar of soap that is the rounded edge and radius corner iPhone 6 could become the most repaired and replaced iPhone ever.

15. Hoppesangen macrumors member

None of those cover accidental damage for anything even close to two years. I definitely see how it's a amazing option to cover defects and such but I still need to know if I get pushed into a pool with my phone on me I'll be covered. So....APP+ at least for me is the way to go!

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I doubt it because it's as slippery as the metal-backed original iPhone and most people use a case anyway.

17. Hoppesangen macrumors member

I think people forget what the original iPhone looked like because we've been so accustomed to the box for quite some time. But yes the original iPhone was pretty much the same, rounded on the edges but a little fatter so you have a little bit more grip. I'm sure some clumsies like myself will have the 6 slip out of their hand anyway haha. The Tech21 case has saved me so many times when I accidentally threw my phone because I wanted to point at something and my phone was in my hand and I threw it :rolleyes:

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I had an original iPhone and I don't remember it being terribly slippery. I do recall it was quite a bit heavier and thicker. Notnsurenehat it is about the 6 plus but the first time I picked it up it went flying. Maybe it's the "perfect storm" of material, size, weight coming together to make the thing launch like a torpedo as soon as I pick it up. I can honestly say it's thebfirst ohone I've flst out dropped, ever, without any outside forces at play.

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

Well that certainly exonerates my post's point of view. :)

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you handle the 6/6+ like you do the less slippery 3G/3GS through 5/5s, it might go flying. I think people are just used to the less slippery form factor, including yourself when you first picked it up. The original iPhone was brand new at the time so most were careful from scratch and learned to handle it from a clean slate. Although the original iPhone once went flying out of my hand once, it never happened again as I learned from that and I had to revert back to my old handling habit carrying my 6 naked.