How long until Unlimited Data on Verizon won't be an option?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bisnicks, Sep 25, 2012.

1. bisnicks macrumors regular

As you know, Verizon has stopped offering Unlimited Data (with a few exceptions). How long do you think it'll be before everyone is booted off unlimited data? Is there anyway they could do this without breaking a contract? How do you think they would implement this?

2. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

While under contract I don't think they can do anything.. but like any contract you got with verizon its only for 2 years so really will they do anything after all the contracts are up?

3. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

I don't think AT&T or Verizon will just boot people off. Instead they will incentivize the new tiered plans to get customers to switch.

If you really want your grandfathered data plans there will be a way to keep them.

4. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Unlimited is not truly unlimited, and will eventually become obsolete. They throttle you if you're using too much data. With most places offering wifi, it's not even an issue for me anymore.

5. bisnicks thread starter macrumors regular

If they did the offer of 4GB a month for the price of 2GB I would consider it. I've never gone over 1GB in the past year with my iPhone. This is partially because Verizon's 3G is too slow in my area to stream videos/ audio. The LTE on the other hand is insanely fast and I'm sure I'd blow through it. I'm going to try the upgrade transfer loophole to hopefully keep it.

----------

AFAIK Verizon only does this when on 3G and when you're in the top 5% and the tower you're on is congested. I may be wrong though.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

not true at all. Why did you post that nonsense ?

7. AMDENCO macrumors member

I'm on AT&T grandfathered data for the iphone 4s. My monthly usage is about 7gb a month because my work offers no wifi. That being said. One i go over the 3gb att throttles but honestly I haven't noticed a big difference pages still load and i'm still able consume data at waht seems to be the same speed, so throttling really doesn't stop me one bit.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

this is the course they are starting to take and will probably continue to take. Really though, who cares about facetime over cellular :p

9. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Oh okay, cool, I'm just making that up just for fun...

10. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

He's right though, Verizon cannot legally throttle LTE. AT&T can throttle LTE, Verizon can throttle 3G, but Verizon cannot throttle LTE (it was a condition of their lease on the spectrum).

11. tdar macrumors 6502a

All users will be capped by the end of 2014. No contracts will need to be broken. Users are moving to shared plans, they give up unlimited to do so. Users are moving to pay full price for their phones, they give up the protection of a contract. At some point, (after the number of users affected has been reduced) for Verizon (and ATT) to just say "Sorry we can't keep the unlimited in place any longer. After all it only affects a tiny small number of our users."

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I do think this is what will happen, 2014 sounds good to me that will give me 2 years with my 5 (if i can get one this year).

13. lookout macrumors newbie

Just curious if anyone off contract but on an unlimited plan was able to retain it by purchasing it full price.

14. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

So my contract is about to be over. However, I'm planning to buy the iPhone 5 unsubsidized so that I can keep my unlimited data on Verizon. Two questions:

1) If I buy the phone unsubsidized and I don't sign a new contract does that mean they can end my unlimited data plan at any time?

2) Is it possible for me to sign a new contract (and buy the phone unsubsidized) and keep my unlimited data on the new contract?

15. tdar macrumors 6502a

1)Yes

2) No

16. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

Cant wait till they make unlimited an option again.

Its going to happen, solar energy and alternative energy is going to skyrocket giving phone companies no reason to not be able to provide unlimited.

Cheap energy which is green = unlimited data? I hope so.