How long until upgrade eligibility reset after canceling Apple pre-order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wiestlingjr, Sep 17, 2012.

1. wiestlingjr macrumors member

I currently have an Apple pre-order for delivery on October 5th. I just missed the cut off time when I order. I would really like to grab a phone on launch day if at all possible.

My plan is to stand in line at an AT&T store at around 6AM and just hope that I can get a phone by 8AM. If I don't get one, I would like to keep my preorder as a backup.

My question is, if I am in line at 6AM and realize that I can get the phone of my choice, could I log onto my phone and cancel my Apple preorder? Would my upgrade eligibility be reset by the time I go into the store to purchase? If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate it.

2. bt1988 macrumors member

I tried out an HTC One X about a month ago and returned it. I dialed *new# when I was leaving the store and my upgrade eligibility had already been reset.

3. rookpsu macrumors member

I'm curious, what didn't you like about the HTC One X? Specifically as it compares to the iPhone?

4. wiestlingjr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.. Im hoping to be able to pick one up Friday.

5. bt1988 macrumors member

I came from a 4S. The camera, while most reviews say it is better than the 4S seemed to be not as sharp overall and it was too noticeable for me. Also the color saturation was boosted way too much. Grass looked lime-green and fluorescent lighting was dark yellow (a white balance issue? on the 4S colors were a lot more accurate.) It was definitely faster, but it felt like it was faster because maybe it didn't autofocus as well. I also didn't like how it jutted out of the back, which caused the phone to rest on the edge if you set it on its back. Setting it on its back also blocked 75% of the volume from the speaker.

It seemed about the same speed overall but on the One X there were occasional bits of lag. It wasn't awful and I could honestly live with it. The memory management was awful, which I hear is an HTC problem. You could be in the web browser, switch to another app, and switch back and it would have to reload the entire page.

After switching to it, I realized I loved the extra screen real estate, but switching back to the iPhone 4S, i missed how smooth it was and I know people hate hearing this, but things just worked. I put my microsim back in my iPhone and it stayed there until I decided to return the One X 2 weeks later.

Sorry, didn't mean for this to end up being a mini-review :)