How long will "grandfathered in" users of unlimited plan be able to keep them??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shanewilliams, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Just a pure speculation question but any ideas as to how long AT&T will let us that are already on unlimited data plans keep them? I know from personal experience that I still have a rather cheap plan for my landline phone that I got when I was with bellsouth, before AT&T took over. I was grandfathered in and have been able to keep this plan for about 6 years after they got rid of it and basically my understanding from talking to reps over the years that as long as I pay my bill and service never gets interupted that I can keep the plan. Oh that's one thing to keep in mind, and Im not sure if it will apply in the unlimited data plans case but according to AT&T reps, if my service were to get disconected due to being late on my bill that I will lose the plan that I was grandfathered in on years ago. Now this is on the residential landline side but it's still the same company really. So might be something to keep in mind or at least ask about. So, any ideas? Will we able to keep the unlimited data plan as long as we keep signing new contracts or will it be a one contract extension deal and then we have to pick one of the other available plans??

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Pure speculation on my part, but I think that metered wireless internet will be replaced by uncapped once our infrastructure improves.

Anyone who travels a lot sees that the United States is a 3rd world country when it comes to cell service. There are many reasons such as geographic area, low population density, multiple service providers sharing the same limited customer base, very low bandwidth capacity with 3G, etc. However, with technological advances into 4G and beyond, today's issues will evaporate and artificial caps will not be a business necessity as they are today.

/Jim

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18)

You don't have to be in under a contract to be grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan. As long as you keep paying your bill, and don't remove the data plan for any reason, you will be able to keep it.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My guess in with in a year you will not be able to renew your contract with out going to one of the capped plans. They will get threw the iPhone rush the work on killing it off.

5. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

For now. You have no contract so they can change that at any time.

6. ViPhone macrumors 6502

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think within the next year or two tops the unlimited plan will go buh-bye.

8. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

At this moment I'm about 16 months into a 2 year contract, and will have a new 2 year contract within the next few weeks when the new iPhone is released. Personally I'm thinking that when the new 2 year contract is up that's going to be it for the unlimited plans.

9. hushmartin macrumors 6502

It's always been my experience that once you have a plan, you can keep the same plan forever as long as you keep paying on time with no interruptions in service. Generally the wireless companies keep coming up with bigger and bigger carrots to try to entice people into switching, like offering special promotions or discounts. It usually works. They can't just FORCE you off your plan-- you have to agree to the change.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

they cant remove it. i know people who still have plans that disappeared in the early 2000's. tho they can if you get a new phone using your upgrade. which is why they get amazing offers from the carriers they are on. but they dont do it cause there plan is even better.

11. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

if you renew for 2 years, then thats another 2 years right there....so im guessing iPhone users from day 1 are rewarded

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If you are out of contract, I don't see why they couldn't discontinue the unlimited plan since they are no longer obligated to.

13. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Sorry, but this is not correct. Again, you do not have to be in a contract to keep a feature. unless, you change the plan or stop paying the bill, the plan remains the same.……

14. elephunkman macrumors 65816

One of my lines has a text plan for 1500 messages for $6.99 and that's been there for many years, so it is unlikely that it will be removed unless you remove it by calling it in.

15. nateharr macrumors 6502

We've been forced to upgrade by AT&T twice because plans we're no longer available and so we couldn't remain on them.

This was years ago, but they have the right to change your plan in any way they want to as long as the price is the same or cheaper for similar features. It's in the original contract you sign.

Also, if you are out of contract they can remove it without much fuss.

However, being out of contract does not mean you won't get to keep you unlimited on Monday. It just means if/when AT&T decides to finally pull the plug on unlimited data, you'll be disconnected from it like everyone else.

16. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

probably a long time. I had my 2g on tmo with the 4.99 unlimited data plan for like 2 and a half years and I only lost it cause I switched for the 3gs

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

For other grandfathered situations it has been indefinite.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    I knew people with old Cingular plans from 7 years ago that didnt include nationwide calling etc...
    They were never forced to switch.
    But with AT&T you never know, they might try to pull a fast one down the road.

19. Kinobi macrumors member

What ATT will do is to introduce Iphone 5G that will run on new network that requires a new data plan. That is what Sprint did.

20. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Well in 2 years the iPhone should be on multiple carriers so I guess we will finally have some choice and competition.

To early to worry about it now.

21. mhdena macrumors 6502

It sure is a lot of people here who don't know how grandfathering works :eek:

22. hushmartin macrumors 6502

The "fast one" you talk about will probably be a point when At&t calls or emails all the remaining die hard unlimited data users to offer a "special deal" to replace the current plan, all the while saying "We're sorry, we don't offer this plan anymore." What they won't say is that while they don't "offer" it, they have to let you keep it if you insist. Problem is, most people will be suckered into believing they *have* to switch. Don't be those people, simple as that.

I used to work for t-mo back in the day, and that's how it was there. I know it was the same for Verizon and Sprint too. I *really* don't think they can MAKE you switch, I wish I had some evidence but I think its something to do with actual laws or regulations, maybe just the contract itself. . . but I remember there being some good reason why they couldn't just switch people. OH yes, I think it's related to telephone regulations, federal law regarding stuff like "slamming", which is switching people's phone carrier or rate without express permission. I'm no lawyer though. :)

23. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Here is what will likely occur, and I base this on past experience with other cell phone companies. We all have unlimited 3G data plans. Eventually 4G or LTE will be available through AT&T. We will be allowed to keep our unlimited plan as long as we want, but it will only be for 3G. Once the new data tech is available, we wont have access to it unless we "upgrade" our data plan to whatever they have available at that time. This is how they will get a lot of us to get rid of our grandfathered plans.

I base this on past experience with Sprint (in know different company). I had a great data plan with them with EVDO with an incredible price. Then they got rev. A. I was allowed to keep my old plan, but could not get the rev A speeds, so I had to upgrade to a newer more expensive data plan.

This is how AT$T will get us in the end. :cool:

24. biosci macrumors 6502a

Isn't this what happened with the transition from 3G to 3gS? Was there a price increase because of 'network speeds of up to 7.5mbps' or something like that?? Umm... I'm still seeing the same speed btw... :(

25. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I think most of us are just going on past experience with ATT. Once you have a plan, they have allowed you to keep it and not charge more for it regardless of how long ago they dropped the plan or feature. Of course, there is no reason they have to continue doing this.