How long will my first 135GB June 2013 Airport Time Capsule to back up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boombox15, Jul 7, 2013.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

I have a 2TB June 2013 Airport Time Capsule coming from Apple today, and I want to know how long it will take for my 2012 iMac to back up the first 135GB. I don't want it to take a long time since I am also getting a 15 inch retina MacBook Pro that I am transfering my info from my iMac to. I want this process to be done within 24 hours. I need to know if I can do that over Wi-Fi or if there is anything that will make it faster.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you want to speed up the initial backup use an Ethernet cable to connect to the Time Capsule. You can unplug it and use wi-fi once the first backup is complete.

3. boombox15, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

But, the retina MacBook Pro does not have Ethernet and I don't have time to buy one. Is it really that slow over wi-fi? I may have to do it over wi-fi. How long would that take? Would the whole process still take less than 24 hours if I did it over wi-fi? 24 hours from the time my time capsule arrives today and then I will start backing up my iMac. When that is done, I will then turn on my retina MacBook Pro and set it up from my time machine backup of my iMac. How long would that take?

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

A couple of hours should be enough, so maybe 3-4 hours to do the whole back and forth transfer. It's impossible to say exactly, it also depends on what the 135GBs consists of. But it won't take a whole day anyway.

5. Serban Suspended

you have 135GB and probably with wifi you have ~2-3MB at least of upload so...do the math

6. Ifti macrumors 68000

I heard that if you backup via ethernet, you need to restore via ethernet as it wont restore properly via wifi - so in other words the initial backup also needs to be over wifi if you intend to restore over wifi?
    Is this correct, or rubbish?!

7. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

Rubbish. Never had any issues restoring from a different connection from where it was backed up.

8. Ifti macrumors 68000

Thank you, glad I got that sorted! Will be doing my initial backups via ethernet then, for speed sake!

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

if you use ethernet its much faster, if you use wifi just set the router right beside your computer (so when you use the retina pro if you just set the computer beside the router it will be faster) Also if you use 5ghz wifi it will be faster as long as the router and computer are very close together (although nothing will be as fast as ethernet)