How long will the shortage of iPads last?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by paolo90, Mar 13, 2011.

1. paolo90 macrumors newbie

I'm going to the US in about a month (April 9 to be exact) and thought I'd get an iPad 2 while I'm there because where I live, gray market iPad 2s will probably only come out in April and the official Apple stores will probably have it on sale only when everyone already has it. By then will I be able to just walk into an Apple store or Best Buy and get one or am I better off ordering online now so it can be shipped to my hotel by the time I arrive?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

who knows, last year the shortages lasted months. I think production for the 2 has been ramped up enough that it won't be as bad as that but when retailers will start having them in quantities is anyone's guess.

3. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

Too long, I want one now and I don't it happening anytime soon.

4. sanford macrumors 65816

Hope for a month, expect three.

I only got my iPad on launch day last year because they did online pre-orders, and I ordered the day pre-orders started. Otherwise I would have got in about June.

This is another reason not to tweak out about having the latest and greatest. By the time you can easily walk in and buy an iPad 2, next year's update is that much closer. It's hard to get over the new stuff jitters, but it's always best to buy what you need, when you need it, with the idea of keeping it at least two years, if not three, before upgrading.

5. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I purposely waited for the iPad 2, so it's not about having the latest and greatest. To me, the cameras were essential (my iPhone 4 and iMac have them), so I'm not wanting it just because I have upgrade-envy. All this hype and supply shortage is great for Apple, but not for me since I'd really like to buy the product. Hooray for the stockholders...

6. Greg M macrumors 6502

This is an update and not like the initial launch last year where everyone wanted one but couldn't get one. Lots of people already have an ipad and not everyone will upgrade.

Once all the fanboy orders get filled there should be plenty of supply. I don't think that Apple's online order status is an accurate indication of how long it's going to take to get stock back in stores. I'd say that within the next several weeks you should be able to pick one up in a store without much effort.

7. paolo90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, so I guess I'll order it online and have it delivered to my hotel then.

I actually don't have an iPad 1 because I thought I had no use for a tablet. These past few months, some circumstances have changed so I found myself wanting a tablet. My wanting to have an iPad 2 at the same time it was launched was purely coincidental. So, no, it's not because of upgrade envy. :)

EDIT: Greg, thanks. I hope that's the case.

8. bmat macrumors 6502

This is a guess. I think in 4 to 5 weeks it should be stabilized--i.e., shortly after the international launch. That will somewhat limit the resale market, and the demand will have picked up. And I would guess that some people looking for them in stores also have online orders pending as well.

9. gigaguy macrumors 65816

My guess it supply of ipad 2 looks worse than ipad1 which took months if I remember right, even tho.

-iPad1 had pre-orders, before launch day.

-iPad1 world launch was later and to fewer countries and even was delayed to build stock. ipad 2 world launch is set for Mar25 to more countries than iPad 1 rolled out to. iPad 1 had 2 or 3 stepped world rollouts over months.

-Demand seems even higher for ipad2.

I'm sure someone has more details on ipad1 launch.

Since I'm waiting for jailbreak for iOS 4.3, (not in a rush, still have my iPad1 with Unlimited Data), I may just order @apple.com, before it goes to 5weeks or 2 months after March 25.