How long will this design last...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ilpadrino6, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ilpadrino6 macrumors member

I know some people compare Apple design to Porsche & BMW. To not radically change the design, just refine it. How thin will phones go, will we ever try to get thicker. I think this model and "5s" could be last iteration of this current design.

2. mcarthon macrumors regular

Would you like it to be shaped like a triangle? I'm not sure exactly what people want here.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm not really sure how they could improve on it with current materials. They're using metal as much as they can while still allowing all of the radio signals to work. The current choices for radio-transparent materials are plastic and glass. They've already tried plastic (3G and 3GS) and glass (4, 4S) and each had downsides.

The promise of the Liquidmetal material that they've licensed is that it could be used to create an all-metal enclosure that was still radio transparent. Some experts have said that it won't be ready for mass production for a couple of years still.

4. ilpadrino6 thread starter macrumors member

I really like the design, there are so many ways to make a rectangle. I think that's why apple can't just come out and blow everyone away with their ideas. Just keep making it better a little bit at a time.

5. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I don't mind the design. It's know it's practical and makes sense. But I am looking forward to when it is completely redone to something different.

6. Fissure, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

Fissure macrumors 6502

2yrs, so no complete redesign until Sept. 2014, that's Apples track record at least.

I still shake my head when people say this new iPhone wasn't a complete redesign. The superficial consensus seems to be "it's a little taller but that's it".

I think once people get their hands on it they'll realize the changes are greater than they think. This iPhone IS a COMPLETE redesign, inside and out.

A15 Cortex SOC (a first in the industry)
    Unibody Case (20% thinner than last and the thinnest phone available)
    20% lighter than the last (I think ppl will be surprised on this one)
    Integrated Touch Panel
    4G LTE

With that said I think they need to differentiate themselves more in the OS department.
    There's more opportunity there at this point. iOS is aging, it needs a reinvention.

7. ilpadrino6 thread starter macrumors member

Instead of physical buttons like volume or power, I would like to see illuminated touch like the old iPod. I think that still seems like pretty cool tech

8. Omacc macrumors member

ask apple

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

How long wil this design last? Until the next one comes out.

10. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

12. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Without exaggeration when iPhone 4 was revealed it was was of the most stunning products I had ever seen. Sexy is a word I feel completely comfortable using for it. With iPhone 5 it doesn't feel stale yet but I really hope they pull out something with that same wow factor for "iPhone 6" in two years. this design is going to be played out by then.

13. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

At least two years and thicker is not an option for them.

14. noteple macrumors 65816

How long has a pencil been a pencil

10 yrs from now there wont be many smart phones.

No need for everybody to carry around an 8 core 3GHz processor in their hands.

The apps or at least the processing will be in the cloud with the handset just a thin client.

You really think all those high profile data centers being built are just big file cabinets for your media.

And I am really going out on a limb calling it a handset. A device for sure, but not necessarily held, much less in your hand.

15. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Someday it has to be. If they kept shaving off 20% in general year after year its going to get absurd. iPod touch design is great; thin but not flimsy. How long can that stand? Eventually the devices are going to get so small they feel insignificant.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apples decision to retain a similar look for iPhone 5 may play well now, but may not be in their best interest long term.

My prediction is by this time next year Apple may have jumped the shark.

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Not getting thinner doesn't mean it has to get thicker.

Honestly I don't see it getting much thinner than it is now. They've already eliminated all of the internal layers they can, now it's just a metal back and the display/touch/glass combo at the front.

If the internal components shrink they can just use the extra room for battery.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ever heard of the "new" iPad? :cool:

19. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

You are so the first person to say that ever!

Thinner from this point forward would have to come in the form of new alloys and such.

Ah I remembered that after I hit submit and didn't care to change it. But in your response I blame Sharp.

20. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

People are pretty used to the "S" cycle so there won't be many complaints if/when the 5S is the same design. It will be the next "new" iteration comes out that it may jump the shark.

21. Muscle macrumors regular

its going to get as thin as the lightning connector allows it to

22. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's thinner and lighter. That was Apple's goal clearly.

I predict future models will have to do with continued spec bumps and battery improvements.

I honestly don't see how you can improve an already perfect phone other than spec bumps and whatever technology is introduced.

----------

That's because of LTE.

23. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Seems like the only thing that will make people happy is a complete opposite approach. With that said, one avenue they could take is a monolith design like Paul Miller at The Verge has talked about for a few years now.

Basically it would be a true slab design with hard edges and minimal rounding of corners. Any buttons would be flush with the rest of the slab and not obviously called out. The screen would simply disappear into the monolith when turned off.

Sounds radical enough to have a sci-fi feel, but accessible in terms of utter simplicity.

24. Fissure macrumors 6502

Hard edges will never happen. It would be the dumbest move ever.
    It would tear pants and poke people who carry in their pockets.
    Now a monolithic design minus the hard edges might be cool.

I've always thought a phone completely covered with a screen would be cool.
    I think the next big thing will come from screen technology. Flexible screens opens up the imagination to a lot of possibilities.

25. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I love the design. I thought they couldn't do much to improve the 4/4S but they did.

To me, this is like ordering a Coach handbag. It's a classic that will never go out of style.

(For the guys in the room, substitute your favorite classic car for "Coach handbag.")