Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Well I got my iBook back from its third mobo repair on thursday and I realized that in my haste of reinstalling OSX I formatted my iTunes library completely and it was time for AAC anyway. Well for all of yesterday and since I woke up this mornign I have been ripping cds to AAC 160. Its been many hours and i'm about halfway there with 1100 songs. So I wondered how long would it take you to rip all of your CDS?

Also this isn't worth a new thread but apple is considering sending me a new iBook because my machine has had 3 mobo repairs. I Had problems with my battery and called to see when it would be here, well they said my machine was red flagged and they are considering a repclaemnt and for me to check back tomorrow. part of me says I like the style of my ibook 800 but the other part says that I like the faster cd burner, 100 mhz and bigger hard drive if they send me a new machine.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
Most of my cds ranged from 7-12 because I like to get music before its big/ or when its new and theres a sale.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2002
wow, thats pretty steep.

another question, are there any plugins for iTunes that allow DJ functionalit, i know it can crossfade but I mean accelerating songs, altering pitch and other effects like that.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
It took me all weekend to rip the ones I like, it would take me about 6 days to rip the rest, I have 2 packing cases of CD's in the loft that haven't seen the light of day in years, I worked as an engineer/producer for years, and was on the promo lists for many record companies.

It's amazing how many really crap CDs get released.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Longer than I like to think about. I have been ripping off and on for months, and I have made it through about a quarter of what I'd like to have on disk.

Dan

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
It took me about three weeks, at the rate of a couple dozen or so a day. About 750 CD's, 100 CD singles. Eventually culled down to 4479 songs on iTunes. Did them all at 192 MP3.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
I'm up there with duff man. I guess total (our music is on a shared drive) we have around 20,000 to 30,000 songs +. That's just WAY too many CD's to thing about.

BEN

PS. Most of them are hardcopy CD's around here, I say most.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Well with 2 internal CD drives I can feed my computer discs non stop while I work on other things. I did this a while back. It spits one out while it goes to work on the one in the other drive. I can rip an entire disc in under a minute so with 700 discs plus it would take just under 12 hours. Fortunately I am not interested in reripping as none of my hardware supports MP4s just MP3s also I don't really want all my CDs on my computer. By the way I would say I paid at most an average of $7 a disc for all of them. I lot of them are used and I played the club game for a few years. Also we have a great local music store that runs big sales and I don't buy unless it's on sale.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
I can rip an entire disc in under a minute so with 700 discs plus it would take just under 12 hours.

What, are you on a PC or something?:D

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
I can rip an entire disc in under a minute so with 700 discs plus it would take just under 12 hours.

What, are you on a PC or something?:D

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Id also like to know how you are ripping a cd in 1 minutes time. Maybe 1 song per minute, not 1 cd, I just don't think that's possible, unless the bitrate you rip to is 24k?? :)

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by VoodooDaddy
Id also like to know how you are ripping a cd in 1 minutes time. Maybe 1 song per minute, not 1 cd, I just don't think that's possible, unless the bitrate you rip to is 24k?? :)
hm i m ripping my mp3 s at 192 in musicmatch for windows .. at a speed of little under 20.... that would make some 4 minutes per cd, if the cd got 80 minutes...
i don t earn a cd with that much listening time on it.. avarage is about 40 - 50 minutes. that makes 2 to 3 minutes per cd.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by VoodooDaddy

I have a Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac and a 40x drive also I rip to 320Kb/s which speeds things up also (ripping at smaller bit rates does not increase your speed just the opposite). In any case I average between 30-40x ripping and most of my discs take 1-2 minutes at the most.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
17" Aluminum PB + 1 GIG ram - $3800
500 CDS - $1000
Converting 500 CD's + 4 DVD's full of MP3's - priceless

actually it took me about 2 weeks on and off ripping everything into aac format. I converted both mp3s and cds to 128 bit

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Heart Break Kid
17" Aluminum PB + 1 GIG ram - $3800
500 CDS - $1000
Converting 500 CD's + 4 DVD's full of MP3's - priceless

actually it took me about 2 weeks on and off ripping everything into aac format. I converted both mp3s and cds to 128 bit

Are you actually happy with 128bit? I find it sounds like your listening through a short card board tube. The base is nearly totally gone.

deryk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2003
Denver
I have over 2000 CDs and I have about five of them in iTunes. I'd love to get my whole collection transferred, but I balk at the time it would take.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by deryk
I have over 2000 CDs and I have about five of them in iTunes. I'd love to get my whole collection transferred, but I balk at the time it would take.

Just do it whenever you are on the computer. That's what I did. I just ran iTunes in the background with the settings set so it would rip when a disk was put in and eject when it was done. So whenever I was using the computer I just kept popping in discs while I posted here or whatever I was doing.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Well, it's taken me about a month (since iTunes 4 was released) to get around to all of them. Plugging away at 20 or so a day sure was slow.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I've chosen to stay with .mp3 and as a result, I don't have to re-rip any of my CDs.

And tazo I picked up the new deftones and staind album for a total of $20 from best buy. That's including tax, so I don't really see where your statement of "one CD for $20" comes from.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
I've ripped about 2/3 of my collection, and it comes in just shy of 4000 tracks.

95% are in mp3 but from now on I'm going AAC.

I've been putting off encoding my vinyl collection for a while - but I miss them.

What I don't miss though, is having to move to change tracks.

Bless iTunes and a bluetooth phone remote!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.