Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Trying to find how loud is the maximum level in an iPhone in db.

Most of the times I have it below the middle, even 1/4 of the maximum. But sometimes, specially when running, I do increase the level up to 3/4.

Me question is because I don't want an irresponsible use of my iPhone to end up causing some hearing loss in the long run.

So, any ideas? I haven't been able to find anything.

WRIGHTRACING

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Trying to find how loud is the maximum level in an iPhone in db.

Most of the times I have it below the middle, even 1/4 of the maximum. But sometimes, specially when running, I do increase the level up to 3/4.

Me question is because I don't want an irresponsible use of my iPhone to end up causing some hearing loss in the long run.

So, any ideas? I haven't been able to find anything.

Don't be such a wuss. Turn it wide open, and enjoy your music. When you get older, you can use the selective hearing to your advantage with the wife...LOL

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
loud enough to damage your hearing if put at 100% for several hours

hence the volume limit slider in the iPod app settings

it's called sensorineural hearing loss, it's Also caused by just plain aging ( you lose high frequencies first, hence gramps asking you to speak up sonny)

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I'm not sure you're going to find a clear answer. "Loudness" is subjective and affected by how much hearing you've lost already, the ambient noise, the level of the recording you're listening to, etc. But that doesn't answer you're question. :)

So, for a quick and dirty estimate that is probably only slightly more accurate than a dart board, there is a db meter app. Put on a song, fire up the app, and place the earbud against the microphone.

The image below is when I was sitting on the front row for Toy Story 3. Yikes!

IMG_0933.PNG

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I'm not sure you're going to find a clear answer. "Loudness" is subjective and affected by how much hearing you've lost already, the ambient noise, the level of the recording you're listening to, etc. But that doesn't answer you're question. :)

So, for a quick and dirty estimate that is probably only slightly more accurate than a dart board, there is a db meter app. Put on a song, fire up the app, and place the earbud against the microphone.

The image below is when I was sitting on the front row for Toy Story 3. Yikes!

Thanks for the post. I'll check that app.:)

And you are right. Finding an answer has been near impossible.

I'm not in search of a very precise estimate, but a good enough one as to how much hearing loss after X hours of listening to music can certain volume level can cause.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for the post. I'll check that app.:)

And you are right. Finding an answer has been near impossible.

I'm not in search of a very precise estimate, but a good enough one as to how much hearing loss after X hours of listening to music can certain volume level can cause.

LOL you definitely are not going to find that answer in an Apple forum, you're going to get a bunch of sideline scientist

Whenever you have a question like this it's a good idea to search for primary scientific literature such as Pubmed

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

I found a couple articles ( you might not have the rights to read them entirely but you should be able to read the abstracts)

Hearing threshold of Korean adolescents associated with the use of personal music players.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20046416

[Effects of the personal stereo system on hearing in adolescents]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16615271

etc

From my quick browsing of the literature, personal experience anything over 85 db is going to be bad for you hearing, but I assume that anything 65+db and louder for a long period of time will damage your hearing eventually

chrisdunst

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
Eulogy

once your ears start to hurt its loud enough.....thats the calculations I base my daily listening of music on :eek:

Hi, I'm new to the discussion and found your reply worth appreciation. I myself calculate the speed of the volume on the basis of the audibility power of my ears.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.