How loud is the fan in the MacBook Air at full speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kjjnk, Sep 16, 2011.

1. kjjnk macrumors member

Curious, because my 15" MacBook Pro is really quite loud when the fans are going max speed. Can someone tell me how much quieter the 13" MBA with the fans at max in comparison to the 15" MBP with the fans running at full speed?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Unless we are measuring this with a gizmo in decibels, this question is pointless. What is loud for you may not be loud for me.

FWIW, it's not loud. :rolleyes:

3. kjjnk thread starter macrumors member

Maybe you missed that part that asked how loud it is in comparison to the 15" MacBook Pro? :rolleyes:

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, not really. Same problem. My relative perception of sound is still pointless. :D

5. kjjnk thread starter macrumors member

Clearly you can't answer the question so your fallback is "I'm deaf, it's a stupid question". I asked simply how loud they are relative to the 15" MacBook Pro's. It isn't that difficult. If they are relatively the same then you should've answered with that. But you didn't so therefore you don't have an answer so you shouldn't have replied.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

7. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I agree with ZBoater, sorry it is a dumb question. It is all relative. It's like comparing stock exhaust to Borla. I say they're similar, Borla is slightly louder. My mother in law says its 10 times louder. Sorry buddy, quit hating and go to a store and test it yourself.

8. jsolares macrumors 6502a

I don't have a 15" MBP but it's louder than my iMac at full speed (6500RPM in the Air vs 2400 or so in the iMac)

9. kjjnk thread starter macrumors member

Ever heard of a general consensus? No? Well sorry buddy, but this is a forum where people post their opinions and what they think and I'd like to know what people think. Don't post anything if you can't contribute to the conversation. :rolleyes:

In case you didn't notice I posted this where multiple people can reply.

Thanks.

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Initial run with the gamut of Software updates to Lion (roughly 5/6 currently and 2 reboots). My first 2hrs with my 13" Ultimate was nothing but updates and a fan running at full speed consistently until reboot and again after on the next set of updates.

I was a bit worried as it did get quite hot but after the updates it was all good.

1. you can hear the fan; you know its the fan.
    2. its loud as a 60degree 13" MB Unibody (Al) or MBP 13" when its at similar temp. Oddly enough the SSD's stayed a constant temperature.

2nd day nothing but bliss and quite. This is my experience and opinion.

11. Aras87 macrumors member

I don't think it is loud at all and I'm quite sensitive to fan noise.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well I don't have a MBA, but I've heard that the fans are quieter than most other Macs. Also, the fans apparently don't spin up as easily.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok, I think this is a dumb question. :rolleyes:

Fans spin at different speeds. Even if you actually measured the volume, you'd also have to do it running comparable tasks. Otherwise a MBA encoding a movie might sound "louder" than an idle MBP.

The only way you are going to get an answer that remotely resembles something useful is for you to listen to both while you are doing a similar task (or maybe running smcfancontrol) so you can decide.

Does my opinion count for inclusion in your thread? ;)

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Isn't that what they were doing? You'd probably get more responses if you weren't so antagonistic.

15. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I have experience with a 2011 MBP13i5, MBP13i7 and MBA13i7

They all sound the same at hurricane speed; loud but not obnoxiously so

16. bill-p macrumors 65816

Let's see... while charging, the fan is moderately loud. While watching Flash videos, it's also that loud.

However, try using Handbrake, and I bet you can still hear the fan with a vacuum going off right beside.

In other words, at full speed, it is very, very, very loud. You won't hear it that loud most of the time, but trust me, it can be loud.

17. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Comparing with my 15 inch MBP 2010 model I guess the 13 inch MBA 2011 is pretty much the same.

18. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

For me its not.
    For some people it is.

It all depends

19. kjjnk, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

kjjnk thread starter macrumors member

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

I asked what it sounded like at full speed in the title AND the original post, maybe you missed that part too?

And no it doesn't because you still have no actually insight on the topic. I clearly asked in the first post how loud the 15" MBP is at full speed compared to the MacBook Air at full speed. Clearly you can't comprehend this so you should just stop posting for your own good.

Who? The two people I responded to with hostility were two people who did not offer anything to the topic at hand and only criticized the question.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wow. At least you recognize your hostility. Recognizing you have a problem is the first step in fixing it. If you can't handle a little criticism perhaps you should not be posting on the Internet. :cool:

Good luck with deciphering different people's definition of "loud" and "louder". I bet your MBA has a Toshiba SSD and LG screen and that is making you cranky... :D

21. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I don't own a MBP at the moment, but from my experience the Air is probably the loudest out there. I wonder if looking around for some in-depth reviews would actually come up with some hard scientific data like decibel readings though.

The Air is perfectly silent when doing most things, but when you get it fired it gets FIRED UP.

22. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

Its been so rare that the fan actually comes on that its hard to judge. Its not very loud and I'd say its quieter than my iMac for sure.

The problem with asking this sort of question is that its too vague, and too dependent on personal opinion. There are two different (base) processors in the MBA and one runs hotter than the other thereby causing the fan to come on more often.

and hearing the fan more OFTEN might make it seem LOUDER, but it would just be the same decibel as before.

23. kjjnk thread starter macrumors member

Coming from the guy that decided to post a holier than thou sarcastic tone on the internet to someone who was asking a simple question. Pot meet kettle. ;)

I don't own a MacBook Air, if I did I wouldn't be asking this question but clearly you aren't smart enough to notice that. Clearly you are cranky from getting destroyed so you are grasping at straws. ;)

Others clearly have no issue answering my perfectly valid question.

24. minnus macrumors 6502

I had previously avoided posting on this thread because of ZBoater. He would say the same thing when other criticized fan noise, or that it is perfectly okay for the CPU to run within 4-5C of TJunction.

Anyways, to answer your question in a more quantitative manner, you can really guess at the sound level the fan will produce by the RPM. The fan in the MBA runs at 6500 ish RPM. You can compare that to the 1500 RPM 140mm fans found in 'silent' desktop cases (the larger they are, the slower they hahve to spin, the quieter they are). These 1500 RPM fans are still audible at the equivalence of a low whisper.

25. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I am quite pleased with Air compared to Pro. The only time my fans stepped up was converting a 1 hour episode to .m4V in Quicktime. Finished in 22 minutes. Not loud, not a issue.