How low can Bush go?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

71% disapprove of bush

2. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Wow, at this rate he might even catch up to the congress!

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

^^^perfect.

You should have named this thread "Bush does the Limbo."

What this percentage should really tell you is that 29% of the people polled are fascist pigs.

4. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Now, now, you didn't read it, did you. React first, justify later, is that your strategy?

25% approve of him and 4% are undecided.

Since this poll is in line with all the others that have come out lately, it's hardly groundbreaking. It does prove that fewer republicans are happy with bushco and its policies.

Not surprising since he's a lame duck and the only two major programs he's enacted to benefit the majority of Americans are NCLB and Medicare Part D. That's a pretty poor legacy for a two termer during wartime and especially since he had a rubber stamp Congress the first 6 years.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't think it could go any lower, but here we are. And yeah, I don't like Congress much either. But it's more due to lack of doing something than doing everything wrong the way the Bush admin seems to.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't see much value in those polls about how "Congress" is doing.

Tell me whether the public approves of what the Democrats are doing or what the Republicans are doing. Are they for the Democrats' policies, or are they in favor of the Republicans obstructing them? Congress as a whole is gridlocked; of course they won't get good approval ratings.

(Ahem. Excuse me, I wrote that before I saw this thread.)

7. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

The end of the Bush regime can't get here fast enough for me.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ditto. Are they angry at the republicans for not stopping the war and not working to override Bush's veto, or are they angry at democrats for trying to end the war, or what? When congress is virtually 50/50, with each side doing something completely different, the approval rating doesn't mean much.

If I was asked if I approve of this congress, I'd say no. Because we haven't ended the war in Iraq. So then, it looks bad on the Democrats since we have a majority, but we have a whopping 2 person majority in the senate and just a handful in the house. But in reality, it's the republicans in congress who I don't approve of. The dems are working the best they can to end this mess and take the country in the right direction, but the republicans still have enough seats to prevent the dems from being able to accomplish much.

9. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Actually, this seems to be more or less consistent with a couple of weeks ago when he was under fire for his pardon of scooter. I predicted a drop in approval rating of real severity. I guess I owe Mactastic a coke and doughnut lunch.

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

While I agree with you that the polls mean absolutely nothing in this case, it is the role of the majority party to lead congress. The democrats are not doing a very good job of leading congress because they have not convinced enough republicans to join their side. That is their job. You can blame the republicans for obstucting all the great things the democrats want to do, but the democrats have done a really lousy job of presenting their case.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so here's the pattern:

when the GOP is in power, the dems are obstructionist.
    when the dems are in power, they're bad leaders.

it's like the dems can't win. i'll remind you that on the so-called overnight vote, there were more votes than not to set a date to begin trood withdrawl. that means the dems did "convince" a few repubs, if one applies that standard. you're also ignoring all the work that is going on vis a vis subpoeanas, which are happening, the vote on the SCHIP bill, which is about 80% for, blah blah blah. iow, if you were paying close attention, you wouldn't have said what you did. SO much easier just to blame the dems, right? and applaud the work of the GOP, right?

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can't change people. A republican could spend a week trying to sell the war to me and at the end of the week, I'll still say he's a war mongering, lying sack of crap. Their job is to lead, but when you're leading some of the moron republicans we have in congress, there's only so much that can be done.

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Sure, just like Swarmlord will become a liberal, right? However, I think you make some salient points.

The strategy of the democrats seems to be, we cannot not lose unless we shoot ourselves in the foot. I do not think that is what the American people wanted, or expected. After six years of Bush, we want 'action'! They are letting the republican congress off easy. These guys do not want to be seen as allied to Bush, but no one is putting the screws to them. If they are loyal to the captain, then make them go down with the ship!

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't the Dems try to make compromises, putting riders and earmarks in with their bills so moderates and conservatives would come on board, only to get knocked for it?

They still suck though.

And Bush still sucks worse.

15. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's a good time to post this again...

Attached Files:

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Kind of interesting how Faux News is always above the average on that graph....

17. aquajet macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's no surprise, really.

What's surprising lately however is their latest poll, which lies directly on the line. :confused: ;)

18. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Amen to that.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Like I said, we didn't really think he'd go any lower, but there it is.

20. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This may be slightly off topic, but which one of the current presidential candidates do you guys think can get us out of this mess the country's in?

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yeah, like that's going to happen. :)

22. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I think you take me for a republican supporter. I feel that the GOP did a rather horrible job of leading the congress over the past 6 years and really just pandered to their constituents. I think the democrats being "obstructionists" proves that the GOP did a horrible job of leading, but the GOP did get the democrats to back down and got their judicial nominees approved.

I personally just hate it when one party blames the other for their own lack of successes (whether the complainers are Republicans or Democrats). "We couldn't do anything because the other side block our plans." Congress is a single unit and should work together to pass legislation that is needed. The simple fact that congress is very nearly half GOP and half Democrat means that strong leadership is needed to create bi-partison products. Normally the majority party is in charge of leading so I currently blame the democrats for their lack of leadership. Right now all we have is two separate sides complaining about the other side.

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Kucinich, who has absolutely no chance of winning. Almost all the rest are corporate candidates.

24. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I vote for none. Send in the second wave.

25. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Obamarama. He's the only one who seems most willing to reach out not only to the other side of the aisle, but with foreign countries as well. He's a breath of fresh air. Experience, schmerience; both Lincoln and Kennedy were great presidents without decades of "experience."

What this country needs right now is a visionary, one who can inspire the American people and truly reach out beyond party lines. An intelligent and thoughtful leader who has the humility to surround themself with knowledgable people that have decades of experience, often taking their experience to heart when needing advice, even if it may be different than their own opinion.

This country does not need a career politician, one who will divide the nation the second they take the oath. (*cough*Hillary*cough*Guiliani*etc). Barack is the one who can take us above all of this.