How LTE works - Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacKid1983, Sep 24, 2012.

1. MacKid1983 macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

I have a iPhone4s with a regular plan on Verizon. 450 anytime min with unlimited text and data.

I want to know when I switch to the iPhone5 (I am buying it outright) will it just automatically connect to the LTE network since it is an LTE phone? Or Do I need to call Verizon and switch to some LTE network plan? If I do need to switch to a LTE plan, and don't, the phone just will it work just on 3g speeds?

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

You shouldn't have to do anything. The phone will jump on to whatever network it sees. Be that LTE or 3G.

3. jester0723 macrumors regular

When you go through the order, since you're paying full retail (I think) make sure you keep unlimited data. But yes, you should be able to just go through the activation on the phone when you first turn it on and it will connect to LTE.

4. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

When you call to make the switch and activate the phone, they will activate your SIM card. This will also provision your account for 4G data transport. Your phone will then prefer LTE but fall back to 3G and 1X when necessary. Should (hopefully) be seamless to you.

Make sure if you have to call in that you speak to someone who knows what they are doing. I am grandfathered into an old Alltel unlimited plan. It took me several phone calls to get a CSR who knew what she was doing. The first few wanted to move me to a share plan even though I paid full retail for the iP5.

5. MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

Yeah I am going to a store to buy it. :) I'll activate it on my account online like i have done in the past. Thanks guys. :)

6. MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

So I got the Iphone 5 off craigslist. No SIM card. I tried my old sim card but apparently i read i need a 4G LTE sim card. I can request one thru verizon website for free and it says something about changing my plan, but it shows my unlimited data.

Can I go to a Verizon store and pick up a free 4g sim card? Will they screw with my plan? I don't want my unlimited thats why I bought on craigslist.

7. soco macrumors 68030

soco

You can absolutely go to a Verizon store and get an LTE SIM card. They may charge you for it, but shouldn't.

The only thing I'm wondering is whether or not you can actually go from 3G unlimited to 4G unlimited. I'm assuming you can since the consensus here is such, but I feel like around spring time there was a lot of information rumoring around that if you wanted to have unlimited 4G after Verizon made the switch to tiered data, you had to be on an unlimited 4G plan beforehand.

8. ElZeus macrumors regular

Corporate verizon store sims are free, non corp. may charge you for the sim. It shouldn't mess with your u/l data but if it does just call in and they will switch you back np.

9. MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

Thanks!

I went to VZW got my 4G SIM card and I am all good. I kept my unlimited data and all paying $83.00 MO. :D