How many 13" MBP users would ditch if Retina 13" is announced in the Fall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gator24765, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I just purchased a new 13" Macbook Pro because my old 2009 was taking a beating.

I am thinking of doing some upgrades.. 16gb ram plus ssd.

Now before I do this all I am thinking is this would be a waste of an upgrade if the 13" Retina comes out in the fall.

Would you wait till the fall and see if the Retina comes out before an upgrade to these or upgrade and just keep it if a 13" Retina comes out?

2. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

Just put the brakes on a 15" RMBP because I'm now fairly certain the 13" RMBPs are due in Q1. Can't wait to get rid of my 13" 09 MBP.

3. colour macrumors regular

It's difficult to predict what the 13 inch retina will actually have, but if we base this on the current 15 MBPR then it will have the same specs as the current MBP with no dedicated graphics card no optical drive, less ports, better screen, thinner design and a high end price tag.

I'm looking at getting the high end 13" 2012 MBP and doing the SSD+RAM upgrades myself, MBP are more future proof because you can upgrade yourself. If the 13" follows the same trend of the current 15" MBPR then I wouldn't really buy it personally I hate the lack of upgradability.

If the 13" uMBP where phased out, unless the 13" MBPR was really cheap I would actually get a 13" MBA (8gb ram + 256 or 128 SSD), I fell like your getting more or less the same thing, retina displays mean nothing to me.

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Not me. I just bought my MBP 13 a few months ago. I love the performance, compact size and ability to use a DVD, USB flash, external drive, etc. Did I mention I love the size and capabilities?

Also have an iPad 2 and iPhone 4 (which has retina display). Actually, I haven't felt a "loss" comparing the iP2 and MBP displays with the iP4. Next upgrade: iPhone 5 (or whatever it will be called), but not for display capabilities. It will be for a larger screen, Siri, and improved internals.

5. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

Not me. I am perfectly happy with the form and features of my new 13" MBP. Retina means nothing to me.

6. zuckuss00, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

zuckuss00 macrumors member

I was about the pull the trigger on a new 2.3 Ghz i7 Retina MBP. I went to Apple, played with it for a bit. It's an impressive machine, lightening fast, screen in beautiful. However, for my paticular day-to-day needs, I couldn't justify the cost. First, as a college student, the 15" MBP is just too big to pull around to classes compared to a 13" or MBA. Secondly, the lack of expandability concerned me and well as the lack of a optical drive. Last, the screen is amazing as I mentioned, however, I don't really need it since I don't render anything.

So I decided to pick up a new 2012 13" MBP i7 and save some money. Then I noticed the price in the Late 2011 had dropped off. So I searched around and finally found a couple week old Late 2011 13" 2.8 Ghz Sandy Bridge i7 MBP (factory sealed). No USB 3.0, but it's still a great machine, so I jumped on it and saved about $1400 by not buying a rMBP. Great deal if you ask me.

Point being, If you're in the market for a new MPB and a retina 13" was available... yeah buy it. But I would't sell my perfectly good 13" MBP for just a higher resolution screen and a modest performance boost.

7. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Not me. For one, I love my MBP -no question about it- and would not change; but I also would not be able to afford it. Not just because I just bought a new computer; but looking at the pricing for the 15" RMBP and how much higher it is than a standard MBP, the 13" would be prohibitively expensive. In four or five years, when my current machine is due for replacement, retina will be the standard--and it will be much, much more affordable, along with a bigger SSD, it having become more affordable, too. Anyways, it's not like I have an actual use for a RMBP; it would just be a nice toy.