How many are affected by faulty keys (high-pitched noise) on the 2016 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shaunthesheep, Apr 11, 2017.

?

Have you had any problems with faulty keys (high-pitched noise) on your new MBP?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Shaunthesheep macrumors newbie

How many of you with the new macbook pros are actually affected by the faulty "high-pitched keys" on your new 2016 MBPs?

It's one of the main reasons keeping me from purchasing a new MBP tb/ntb and it makes me consider the well-tested 2015 MBP instead.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Wait, by "faulty keys" you mean high-pitched ones? Maybe you should change the poll question to be more clear what you're talking about. I'm not having trouble with either keys that don't register correctly (what I consider faulty) or with the high-pitched clicking.

3. Shaunthesheep thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice Sanpete, I guess I have the fact that English isn't my mothertounge to blame. Unfortunately I can't seem to edit the poll question.

But yes, to clarify, by "faulty keys" I mean the high-pitched noise that some/many are experiencing.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

It's still a useful poll question. I hope people will read your post to understand it properly.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Moderator Note:

I changed it for you. Is it okay now?

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I haven't had the keyboard issue (of either kind) or honestly any issue with mine so far. Been very happy with it

7. Shaunthesheep thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, thank you!

8. KayM8 macrumors newbie

Do you mean under casual use when the laptop is cool or the issue about keys making a high pitched sound when the laptop has heated up under load?

9. Shaunthesheep thread starter macrumors newbie

Both I guess, the keys on a machine with this price tag should never be making a high pitched sound. Hot or cold.

10. KayM8, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

KayM8 macrumors newbie

Ah. Unfortunately I'm one of the many who have keys which make a high pitched sound when clicking when the laptop is hot - otherwise they sound "normal" (well being extremely specific, some keys sound noticeably different to one another, but this I don't notice much, it's not a difference in loudness really, just clicking noise) but the high-pitched clicking during hot use is noticeably louder as well. Fortunately only my backspace/delete and number "8" key seem to be affected (haven't noticed on other keys). There are several threads about this issue on this forum.

11. Shaunthesheep thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, are you planning to return your MBP because of this?

Imo, it's completely unacceptable that a brand new MBP keyboard should be making these "high-pitched" sounds

12. KayM8 macrumors newbie

I won't be returning it because 1) I'm 4 months past the 1 week no-questions-asked-return period, and 2) several users said that even after several replacements, all their replacements also had this issue with different keys. My store isn't well stocked with the MBPs so I don't want to waste time with this because it looks like I'll probably just get a replacement with the same issue, so I'm going to just be living with it I guess.
    Yeah I agree with you, one of the reasons I chose Apple was for build quality, and this is pretty disappointing.