How many charge cycles is considered out of warranty, officially?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorinlynx, Oct 24, 2012.

1. zorinlynx, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Macbook Pro 2010. 76 charge cycles. They claim it's out of warranty.

Machine was purchased on January 2011 and has AppleCare.

Is the support rep we dealt with clueless? Or should we try bringing the machine to an Apple Store?

What the hell good is spending all that money on AppleCare if they won't warranty a lightly used battery that died well within the three years?

EDIT: Oh, and the worst thing is how it failed. The battery is COMPLETELY toast. It won't charge or power the machine on. Meanwhile my own personal 2010 Macbook Pro that is older has 176 charge cycles and is still going strong.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your warranty isn't based on charge cycles. It's based on the date the Mac was originally purchased. You can verify remaining warranty/AppleCare coverage for any Mac by entering the serial number here.

3. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Then why would they claim the battery is out of warranty? It failed clearly within the 3 year AppleCare period, AND is obviously a manufacturing flaw as many other laptops of a similar age still have working batteries with 2-3 times as many charge cycles.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sounds to me, not enough information was exchanged between the parties.

U are not telling us when your applecare expires, does the rep know? They are not always super helpful and automatically look it up for you. I wish they do, like when I walk in they automatically recognize me, and go, Mr. Bobb, you must here for your 5,000 miles oil change!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They shouldn't claim it's out of warranty if it's covered by AppleCare. However, they may determine that it's not defective. Only defective batteries are covered. Batteries that die through normal use are not covered. For more details, read the BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED section of the following link: