How many email account do I get for a .Mac/MobileMe account?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hohohong, Jun 14, 2008.

1. hohohong macrumors 6502

Can i get 2 emails address for 1 .Mac/MobileMe account?

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I believe if you are a CURRENT .mac subscriber you will end up with 2. xxx@mac.com and xxx@me.com. However there was some restrictions with iMac etc. Apple's website on MobileMe has more info.

If you buy just the me.com service when it goes live, you get one xxx@me.com.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can also have 5 aliases, if you like. No extra cost.

5. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Can you please explain what this is and how to do it.
    thanks

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Select up to 5 additional email addresses for your account. They will all be redirected to your one email account, but you can use different email addresses for different purposes.

From the .Mac Help:

Creating an alias
    You can create up to five email aliases to help prevent unwanted messages from being sent to your primary .Mac Mail account or for use with online groups and chat websites. For example, you might want to share your main .Mac Mail address with friends and family only and use email aliases for online registrations, purchasing products, joining mailing lists, and so on. This will help you better manage the email you receive and monitor the sources of unwanted messages. You can even send email using an email alias.

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You get 1 email account per membership. Tied to that will be two addresses, username@mac.com and username@me.com. You can also create aliases which are just different addresses that tie into the same account.

Again: Even though you can have multiple addresses, you only have 1 account, it all feeds into the same inbox.

If you want additional accounts, you can buy then for an additional $10 each (I think).

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Per the question and my answer, no you don't pay 10 bucks extra, current customers will get 2 email addresses when/if they continue with the me.com, yah they're tied to one global box, but hey, semantics eh?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, you brought up a good point, and now I'm wondering. I wonder if the transition to .me means any existing .mac account will be considered an alias on the .me account? If it is, and you've already chosen the maximum of 5 aliases on your .mac account, does that mean you lose one of them, so your primary .mac account can become an alias to your .me account? Or does it mean you will have 2 separate primary accounts, one @mac.com and one @me.com, each with 5 aliases?

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I kinda see it as a 6th alias. Read the FAQ on MobileMe

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I had to do some searching to find that particular section of the FAQ, but after reading it all, I tend to agree with you: the @me.com address sounds like it will be treated as a 6th alias. Thanks!

12. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Not to continue this already answered thread, but I'd say the mac.com TURNS into the 6th alias. Seeing as how the service is now 'me.com'

If in the future they decide to discontinue and remove any references to the 'old' service, it would be the mac.com that would get removed.

Like ISP's that transition from one to the next (example adelphia.net to comcast.net) you would continue to receive adelphia.net until a time frame then it would stop.

Mac.com would still be a valid email address, mail forwarded to your me.com email account. If me.com was the alias, it would be Mac.com and any me.com email would get forwarded to mac.com.

Regardless, it's neither here nor there. I for one am looking forward to the new service.

ciao.