Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpefjr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
In apple stores. What do you think? Something like 50/50?

My guess is it depends on the particular Apple Store. I'm sure there are some people at Apple burning the midnight oil coming up with allocations for the new iPhone. They know they'll have X built in time to ship and arrive on the 24th. Take away Y number of pre-orders for home delivery and then take into account previous sales on first day/week/month for iPhone, iPhone 3G and 3Gs. Throw in some magic to take into account how things change and how many in-store pickups are ordered and they'll come up with different ratios of ordered vs. first-come first-serve.

jhuang

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Depends on past sales figures. More like 40 first come and 60 reserved, my guess.

I hope it's not 100 per store.. they would be done with business by 8 AM and just turning away everyone by then. The store I called earlier told me they had 900 pre-orders and told me I should probably get in line the night before if I wanted one without a pre-order.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I talked to two store managers today and both basically said it depends on the store's traffic. Some stores are much more high volume and will get a lot more (such as the San Francisco, San Jose, Palo Alto, CA stores).

But even the smaller store closer to my house said last year for the 3GS they had about 200 people line up and they had enough phones for them. He said they sold out later in the day.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I hope it's not 100 per store.. they would be done with business by 8 AM and just turning away everyone by then. The store I called earlier told me they had 900 pre-orders and told me I should probably get in line the night before if I wanted one without a pre-order.

It's most likely a lot more than that. When I purchased the 3G, I showed up on launch day at 3pm and waited in line for 3 hours. I got one just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.