How many folks bought a MBP but find they rarely take it outside their home?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spizzi, Nov 7, 2008.

1. spizzi macrumors newbie

I'm starting to be conflicted between the "idea" behind having a laptop so that I have the luxury of being mobile with the computer. Moreover, I like the idea of having a laptop so that I can be mobile, but really wonder if I will find myself taking it with me wherever I go. I mean, I want to get into Apple because I am an avid photographer and will be getting into video/film in the future. But I wonder how often I would need a MBP with me on the road versus having a mac pro desktop sitting at my house.

How many of you find you don't really use your MBPro for mobile reasons as much as you thought you would?

Btw, not sure this is the right spot for this posting but I really would like to see the results of this question!

2. nanvinnie macrumors regular

i find myself taking my mbp everywhere... for business and personal reasons.

i work full time and i also go to school so where ever i'm going, my mbp comes too.

i have an ext monitor at home for when i need it, but my mbp is my top travel companion.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I didn't really take my old powerbook out very much so when I decided to upgrade I bought a PowerMac G5.

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

My laptop is just like another part of my body to be honest. I take it to Uni and everywhere else i pretty much go!

I love my MBP because it has a better graphics card and is faster than my brothers medium iMac and im able to sit on the floor/kitchen table or wherever to play games :)

5. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i only take it out because i CAN
    not because i HAVE to

6. iGary Guest

iGary

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Mine goes with me to class (I'm a full time college student). Handy note taker, plus lets you use iChat when the class gets boring....er......I would never do that!!! :p

It's also nice in between classes, just to have your own computer with you instead of having to rely on library machines. I don't use it away from home much besides classes though, so I'll probably go back to desktops when I'm done in a few years.....I already miss the big fans.....

8. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

When I was working full time, it never left my desk.

Now that I'm at university, though, it's out of the house each day I have class. I don't use it for note taking, but for wireless and research between classes.

9. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

I rarely take it out of the house, but I do move around with it inside the home often.

10. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i take it out of the house quite a bit. I will be taking it out more when i start (re-start) college in the spring.

However a few years ago,when i would bring my laptop to a lot of different places, its actually the iPhone that keeps me from bringing it around AS MUCH as i probably could.

11. south8212 macrumors 6502

i take it when i travel but other than that its at home. Honestly tho, what beats sitting on your couch with a MBP?

12. medinaj88 macrumors newbie

My MBP has actually only been outside during the time it was being shipped to me :D My university gave me a laptop for classes so i take that to school.
    So personally, my MBP is always home.

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Mine gets way more use in my home than it does out of it.

We live in a small house, and we don't have the room for a computer desk. So I went with a laptop because it can be quickly and easily put away when I'm done with it, and it hardly takes up any space at all.

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

15. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I take my laptop everywhere, even if I don't use it.

16. FCDP macrumors regular

Take it with me daily to work. Don't really use it much on the commute (iphone), but I'll use it for some on the fly work(love NetShare :p).

17. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Since I've bought it, it hasn't left the house (2 weeks ago) but I'm traveling often so see my family spread all over the Europe so it will travel with me :)

18. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I occasionally bring mine to work or a wifi cafe, but mostly use it at home. Also sometimes visit friends in other parts of Europe too and bring it along to stay connected.

19. Red-red macrumors 6502

Always taking it with me to university. Don't buy one if you're going to just keep it at home as the imac's don't take up that much space.

20. Apple addict macrumors member

Not yet, need notebook bag first

I have been trying to decide on a notebook bag or sleeve before I venture out with it.
    It will go with me when I travel. If and when I install a virtual OS with Win XP loaded I may take it to work, it would be much better than the 4 year old HP laptop I have at the office.

Gary

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Me. It's a desktop replacement on a stand for a small space. I don't like all-in-ones; I prefer to choose my own (matte) display and keyboard which I can run right next to the MBP's display in a two-screen setup.

Mine has probably left the house three or four times in the last two years; it's in absolute mint condition because it's rarely touched.

22. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I struggled with the same question. For the price of the MBP I could have gotten a 24" IPS screen iMac. I'm actually receiving my notebook today :D

But I currently have a windows notebook and some semesters I carried it to class almost everyday. Now that I'm graduating though my notebook will probably only be taken to my gf's house occassionally.

I went with the notebook because I enjoy the freedom of taking it from room to room within my house. Sometimes I'll bring it to the bedroom to watch a movie in bed or I'll bring it over to the couch to surf the net while I watch a show on tv. To me that level of portability was enough to make me pick a laptop over a desktop.

The temptation of picking a laptop because they are neat can be a downfall.

In the end you have to ask yourself and decide, power+nicer screen or portability?

23. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

I have a desktop I built myself at home running vista. Q6600 4gigs of ram and a 8800gt. Usually I use the mbp for school and going to the library. It's also handy when I want to watch TV downstairs while also being online or if I want to be productive other places than my room.

24. Clanky macrumors newbie

Purchased it mainly for work. I travel throughout and I'm curious how the MBP will work in cold climates this winter!

25. Mercellus macrumors regular

I primarily use my MacBook Pro at home on my desk or from the comfort of my sofa, I haven't really taken it outside the house except to a relatives or to work.