How many forum members will be upset with Apple no matter what they do

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mainstreetmark, Feb 19, 2008.

?

What will the Positive:Negative ratio be on the future MBP upgrade announcement?

1. 10% Positive:90% Negative

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. 30% Positive:70% Negative

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. 50% Positive:50% Negative

15 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. 70% Positive:30% Negative

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  5. 90% Positive:10% Negative

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

After today's announcement that the Shuffle's price had been cut nearly in half, more than 50% of the first dozen responses had something to do with the unannounced upgrade of the MBP and several sad faces.

So, it seems to me that most people around here feel that Apple somehow "owes" them some magical new machine, and whenever they release anything that isn't it, a flood of negative responses come. If Apple ever releases an MBP upgrade, I fully expect it to be received very, very negatively by the majority of this forum's readers, mostly because of the nature of this forum: future product speculation, with nearly no knowledge of manufacturing, engineering, marketing, or really, even business itself.

Now, here's the poll. What will be the Negative/Positive ratio on the news story when MBP update comes out:

2. Luveno macrumors member

Luveno

Easily 90% negative. Lots of folks sighing, stating that they'll have to wait for the next model to get their quadcore, 16gb ram, 30" hi-def notebook.

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Interesting poll.

It'd say it'll be around 50%. The longer Apple waits just to introduce a slight bump to Penryn the more people who have been disappointed weeks in a row will feel burned.

I won't care, I'll buy it either way and I'll rate it as positive no matter what.

4. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

New poll!

I'm betting at least 80-90%, easily. :D

6. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Apple is a great company, I'd just like to see them drop prices in Canada & make a CDMA version of the iPhone because Rogers sucks. I know they won't but it would be nice for the consumer. Anyways, 90% Positive and 10% Negative on the new MBP upgrades.

7. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Defend? I'm pointing out that a lot of reaction by this community is negative towards Apple for not releasing products on a timeframe convenient to them, and often times when they do, they're not happy due to heightened expectations.

8. davidec macrumors regular

since when has apple disappointed people with an update to one of it's major lines?

9. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

put it this way, I would give it less than an hour after the update before the first, serious "so when are the mbp's going to be updated again?!" post.

some people have to have everything right now, and those same people usually aren't happy when they get it. it's what we've turned into - greedy consumers who believe the world revolves around us and that everything exists for our own personal use and fulfilment..

10. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Uhm... Everytime there's an update, there's a complainer's rally on MR

edit: also, Everytime there is not an update, there's a complainer's rally on MR!

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

OK. I'm not seeing any hidden Smilies so… are you serious?

More like: When not.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

13. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Nearly every time, around here.

Most recently, when the Air was released, people went nuts because it wasn't as fast as a MBP, didn't have a Blu-Ray DVD. Tons and tons of issues, when the Air was never intended to be a general purpose machine, like the MB/MBP.

When the current generation of MB came out, people hated the new keyboard, wanted it to come in aluminum, ask for a pcmcia port.

Most famously, in the "500 thread", people overwhelmingly thought the iPod was a crap idea.

And, invariably, there's someone out there who will insist they would buy it at 90% of whatever price Apple posts, claiming Apple's price to be to expensive.

History tells us that many people here more easily find fault than praise.

14. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

I think this thread is set up the wrong way. I think the question is how many people will faithfully defend Apple no matter what they produce and how they treat their loyal customers?

15. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

i say 70-80 will be disappointed. they have some high hopes for what they will do in a simple tuesday upgrade.
    -processor upgrade
    -gpu upgrade
    -trackpad upgrade
    -even blu-ray

no matter what they do ppl will complain about some missing feature like teleportation or something. but yeah the OP is right alot of these ppl dont understand business at all.

16. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

it's called splitting

in psychiatry, there's a " defense mechanism" that many people here, in this forum tends to use.. it's Splitting.. simply put.. it's when something is very very good and the other is very very bad..
    that's why we tend to get disappointed so much :D

17. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Where in this thread did anyone say they'd defend apple, no matter what?

Releasing a product that doesn't meet people's imagination seems to account for a lot of Apple-bashing, and THIS survey is about that. This forum is famously filled with people that Apple-bash when they do good stuff.

Example:
    "Apple drops the price of the Shuffle from $79 to $49 and adds a new model". Forum's (current) response to the news: "Rating (137 Positives; 90 Negatives)".

So, over one third of the votoers in that thread thought this was bad news, for reasons such as "you can get a gig USB for $10" and "it's not a MBP update". That announcement is NOT bad news, which is why this poll is around.

18. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

:D

I too could not believe the number of negatives for a ~40% price drop on the shuffle. $49! That's great pricing.

Anyway, I think it's inevitable that people will be disappointed by any release since we all hope for every possible feature and Apple simply can't give it to us each time at a price we wouldn't complain about. C'est la vie.

19. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

You see! That's why I strive for mediocrity in my every day life, so when what I do actually works, people are pleasantly surprised.

20. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

are you from denmark?:D reason i asked is, they're the happiest nation in the world. there's a segment on 60 minutes about them.. they live by your principle.. =)
    the reason why US ranked 20ish way below canada, UK and France is that we always want something else.. we want a BMW/ BEnz and the guy who owns a benz wants a Yatch, and the one who owns a yatch wants a plane , and the guy who owns 3 planes ( john travolta) wants his own runway!!:D we'll never be contented.. haaaaaY!

21. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Na, i'm not from Denmark. I'm a working man and an engineer. I am aware that it takes time, money, effort, teamwork and intelligence to create a fascinating new product, and even when Apple manages an interesting feat - someone around here points to the lack of additional interesting feats. It bothers me from time to time.

John Travolta lives (sometimes) in an airplane owners community in Ocala, down the road from me. It's one of those places where instead of a garage, you have a hangar, and instead of a culdesac, you have a runway.

22. barijazz macrumors 6502

If the world doesn't revolve around attempting at happiness then what does it revolve around?

23. Glueeater macrumors regular

Haha! What a great thread. The denial of this forum being pessimistic is fantastic. How can you people not see it? There is nothing that Apple can do to make you happy. But such is life. Something is always better than what you have. No matter what we do, we are an unhappy people seeking more and more to try to find happiness that will never exist.

24. mainstreetmark thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Final score (being wednesday @ 9am est), 345 positive to 284 negative:

54.8% 45.2%

25. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can rest assured that you can't please forum members most of the time.

The incredible thing is that most of the whingers weren't even potential buyers to begin with. Poor souls!