How many LG screens owners have NOT developed IR over time [15inch rMBP]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lebbeus, Nov 15, 2012.

1. lebbeus macrumors newbie

Now that a few months have passed I was curious as to how many users of the 15inch retina MBP have had NO ISSUES with IR on their screen.

Some folk are declaring that all LG screens develop this problem over time and it's really hard to estimate the scale of the issue.

Could you state how long you've owned your rMBP in your responses?

I've decided not to ask this question in the existing IR thread as it stands to reason that folk with no problems will probably not read those posts. I know that there was a poll a while back for problems but given it's rumoured to develop over time I can't be sure of it's veracity.

Thx for your time.

2. EttVenter macrumors newbie

I've had mine for about 6-8 weeks, no issues whatsoever. In fact, I haven't had ONE of the issues that some people have with their rMBPs. No IR, no creeking, no nothing.

3. whg macrumors regular

whg

I have my MBPr with LG screen since 4 months and use it daily for several hours. I have no problems at all! My screen colors look very close to my calibrated iMac and my previous MBP 15" hires non-glare, therefore I didn't bother to install the calibration software yet.

By the way, I travel a lot with my MBPr 15" (8GB 2.6GHz 512GB) and have no problems with reflections (e.g. close to a train window). The battery life is excellent, too (unless I stress the notebook with some parallel processing Matlab code).

This is by far the best notebook I ever had!

4. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Had mine since they were released (June?) and no issues at all. Perfect.

5. KyleYDG macrumors newbie

I got mine on launch day and have had no IR issues with the screen.

Everyday I read this forum with all the complaints about the retina models I check mine for the issue and never find it somehow I must have gotten the only perfectly built launch retina.

6. wethackrey macrumors 6502

I have had my MBPr with an LG screen (LP154WT1-SJA1) since July 2nd, having ordered it on launch day. I have absolutely no issues with the display.

7. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

This is good to hear as I will be ordering mine very soon. I am glad there are ppl with LG that do not have any issues at all. =)

8. hypobid macrumors newbie

Have had mine for over a week now. I have an LG display. I've run the image retention test several times. No issues so far... Fingers crossed :).

9. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Had mine for about 3 months now, no issues what-so-ever, with IR or anything else. As happy as can be!

10. joshhedge macrumors regular

I get minor IR, but the display is absolutely gorgeous, wouldn't want to risk returning it unless the IR became much worse.

11. lebbeus thread starter macrumors newbie

ah! happy customers exist!

I've had an LG a week with zero image retention, even after running that checkerboard for more than an hour. it's obviously sensible to do due diligence when buying a new computer but only reading problem threads distorts your perspective a bit i think. Certainly encouraging to read of folk who've had theirs for several months without issue.

12. sensorian macrumors member

I've had mine for four months and under forced conditions I can suffer a little IR but nothing that would make me even consider swapping it for a nanosecond.

Other than that no other issues either. Love it.

13. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I bet lots of people watch the IR test, and then think their screen has burn-in, when actually it's their eyes that suffer the problem, lolz!

14. iknowboonie macrumors newbie

I've had my rMBP just over 4 weeks, it gets used everyday and so far there's no sign of IR. I was contemplating returning it but I find it hard to justify when there's no sign of IR.

15. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Same here, ever so slightest IR under forced conditions and its not getting any worse since the the day I got it (when they first were released).

16. AirThis macrumors 6502a

If any of you LG owners ultimately ends up having the problem (which I hope not), I recommend that you visit the thread regarding burn-in at Apple support communities. It's a 376+ page thread, but it's worth reading as dozens of people with no particular agendas have shared their experiences. The general consensus seems to be that if you get noticeable IR with your LG, and bring it to a genius, the panel will be swapped out for a Samsung display. The trick is to convince the genius that you do actually have IR.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?start=0&tstart=0

17. Hioctane macrumors newbie

Got my rMBP with LG screen mid July and never noticed any IR, was never on one screen long enough I guess. Then the other day I had Safari open whilst playing on my XBox. After I don't know how long, I went to switch desktops and noticed the ghost image of the Safari page I'd had open :(

Is it too late to get anything done about it??
    I'm in the UK btw.

18. xephyre macrumors newbie

I've had mine for about 3 months now. I was optimistic at first but IR has started to develop now. I guess it's just a matter of time. It doesn't affect my daily usage though.

19. lebbeus thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i ask, was your display absolutely 100% the 1st 3 months until it developed problems or was there a very low level of IR if forced which then increasingly got worse?

thx

20. jack2wai2 macrumors member

I would like to know the answer too

21. bill-p macrumors 65816

I had a similar experience. Absolutely perfect at first. In fact, absolutely perfect all the way up past 2 months. I was optimistic that it would stay that way.

Then out of the blue, it started developing IR (not forced) right at the 3-month mark.

And a week later, it got so bad that I started seeing my windows even in Mission Control's linen background. Needless to say, it was annoying at that point.

So I brought my rMBP in, and Apple replaced my LG screen with a Samsung screen. It's back to being perfect now.