How many macs can you use a copy of ms office 2008 for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macgrl, Jun 20, 2010.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

I think that it is only one as there is nothing that I can find to the contrary. Is this the case? with office for pc home and student version you can use it on up to three computers.

Also how many macs can you use iworks on, once again I believe that it is just one but wanted clarification.

Many thanks :)

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You can put iWork on unlimited computers. It doesn't check online for serials. I think you can put office on 3 macs.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

For Mac Office 2008:
    Source:1, 2 (the title say 3 macs), 3 (look at 5 reasons yellow side bar on the right)
    It's the same for the Mac, meaning 3 keys for the Home and Student copy.

For iWork '08:
    Source: Apple's License PDF

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Office for Mac 2008 ships with 3 license codes, so you can use it on 3 Macs.

5. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

excellent thanks so much guys. much appreciated.:)

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

iWork is also available in a family pack that allows instal on 5 computers in same household.

7. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, and you can hold up the corner convenience store too. As long as you don't get caught, whatever your haul is goes into your bank account. :rolleyes:

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

He asked for clarification on how many license per iWork license, it's one. Just because Apple doesn't check for that, does not mean it's unlimited and acceptable. Nor does it mean people should be encouraged to do it this way either.

If people want the software to be DRM free and no annoying activation checks like in MS software, they have to stop abusing the licensing and actually pay for those additional licenses.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

That's half why I bought a family pack for iWork for my 3 Macs, the other half being I'm honest.

11. Morisato macrumors member

In his defense, SHE (notice OP is grl) did not ask specifically about licenses.

Considering that OP's question is for MS office which physically restricts you from multiple installs and later asks about iworks as a side note, which does not restrict you from multiple installs, my guess is that she is asking about the restrictiveness of the software. So to answer the question of how many macs CAN you use iworks on, it's infinity... the question of SHOULD you is a completely different question.

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

Wow, if you're going to be this picky then I'll be picky as well because you are nowhere correct.

Those are her questions, she did not ask specifically IF a person can install MS Office more than one, she asked how many Macs per copy of MS Office 2008? Macs are the licenses in this context. Her first question was for Office 2008 for Mac, it's one. Second question was was it the case? Yes, it's one license for the standard license. Office for PC home and Student version are not the same for the Standard and the Student version has a three license pack in it.

Nowhere in there did she ask about activations or licensing restrictions other than the numbers of it.

Also how many macs can you use iworks on, once again I believe that it is just one but wanted clarification.

Note the also part? Also meaning it's related to the previous questions and as such it's not a "side note", which means she is asking about how many licenses (a mac = a license) does iWork have. She wanted to be clear about this (the second red part), the most clear as she ever going to get is directly from Apple and Apple specifically said one.

Once again, she did not ask about activation or licensing restrictions other than the numbers of it.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Student and Teacher comes with three.

Media Expressions (or whatever it's called) comes with one, but how do I say this. Microsoft told me you are allowed to install it on as many computers as you own. However, you cannot run the same programs on the same network.

14. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

True. I have a version of Office they sell to school teachers. There's only one license, so whenever the program is running on two machines at the same time, it quits on the one that opened the last.

But, as soon as AirPort is turned off, problem solved:rolleyes:

15. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the help guys. When I get my new mac that means I can put the same copy I have of ms office on as it has the three licenses which is great. If I decide that I want to run iworks then I will buy the family pack as I have the last version of iworks on this mac anyway so can upgrade that as well as install it on the new one. I am always happy to pay to be legal. It is only right. It is their product that they have invested time and money in.

Many thanks for the help, much appreciated. I do love this forum :)

16. Morisato macrumors member

Now that the OP has responded, this is a non-issue but my position still stands, being that the vagueness of OP's question allowed the responder to be correct in his own right. Notice that the OP said USE and not INSTALL. In order to USE office, registration/activation is required so inadvertently by asking how many macs can USE office, any restrictions to USE office is applied. The use of "also" when asking about iworks is in response to USING iworks, not INSTALLING or ACTIVATING iworks, so your argument is null. "Clarification" means nothing if OP was wrong to begin with and, depending on perspective, OP is wrong in thinking that you can only "USE" iworks on one mac. No where in OP's original post mentioned anything about installation, activation, or licenses... only USE and in the case of MS OFFICE, use is restricted, where as in iworks USE is not restricted... except of course, by morality... which is subjective and not factual.

17. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Of course, if you read the OP's post #15 just above, then you can reasonably infer that the intent of the original post was to ask about legal use. People you can't conceive of doing something unethical will often leave out the qualifier that to them is obvious.