Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I know, it goes up to 1000 nits, but i'm guessing that when the brightness is maxed? What about the middle? Is it 500?

Also apple watch series 0, how many nits are the middle and max?

Any articles ?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
The first gen Apple Watch went up to 450 nits. I found some detailed info on the first gen on a weird website, they haven't yet tested the Series 2.

With running time on battery being such an important issue, it’s not surprising that Apple has implemented a rather aggressive Brightness management strategy. At lower indoor ambient light levels the display’s Brightness (Luminance) is satisfactory. For the 3 level 1/2/3 user Brightness settings for the Apple Watch the display has 15/60/80 nits at 0 lux, which are good for very low light. As the lux level increases the display Brightness then increases at different rates, but all three settings eventually reach a maximum of 482 nits at very high ambient lux light levels, which is impressive for a watch. But for intermediate lux levels it can be iffy: for example, for the highest (3) user setting, the display reaches 203 nits at 500 lux, 203 nits also at 1,000 lux, and 290 nits at 2,000 lux. In some cases you will need to position your wrist into your shadow in order to see the display well. Indoors it’s fine, outdoors it can be iffy like on most mobile displays.
Link

So 203-290 at "intermediate lux levels", which is roughly half of the max setting.

But for the Series 2 to be at twice that on the same level would't make sense, I think it goes up at the same rate, than goes up all the way to 1000 nits in full sunlight for example. But that is about the automatic settings, if you would put it halfway in manual... Yeah, someone should just test that.

Enough research for today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.