How many of the internet comments posted are by Russian trolls?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 25, 2018.

?

On average, what percent of internet comments do you think are posted by Russian trolls?

1. 10%

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. 20%

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. 30%

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. 40%

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. 50% (or more)

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. There’s really no way to tell.

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have no idea, and I’m genuinely interested in seeing if anybody does.

I tell you, sometimes even in PRSI, I look at the comments and think, “This is so hateful it’s just intended to stir the pot. Is this person real, or are we being trolled here?”

But I’m not just asking about MacRumors, I’m asking what you think the average is across all kinds of platforms.

2. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I don’t think there is a way for average customers to tell. However, my impression is that the administrators can tell the origin of accounts. What get’s tricky (my mpression) would be if accounts are established in the US that are used to relay messages., but I think those can be traced too.

You left out the I don’t know option.

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

In the last year I've noticed there's been a rollover of commenters. We'll see them for about 4 months or so, they get the ban & suspensions for pushing the rules, and they are gone. Next day we get our next wave of new posters for a few months, rinse, repeat.

I'm at the point now, that I don't even notice any more extreme posters if they haven't been here awhile.

4. Zenithal, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

On here? No, doubt it. Being a Righty, I've always seen people far righter than me and they make a point of being brash.

You've got your left, your right and the Bernie supporters. Then you've got extremes of all of them. You've also got conspiracy theorists; Illuminati this and that, they're both the same, deep state! Yawn.

Wouldn't matter. Depending on how kitted out your forum install is, you can grab:

1. Registration IP
    2. Login session IP
    3. Post IP (individual)
    4. HTTP Access Logs

VPNs and the like can hide your IP fairly well, but modern browsers aren't that clever. There's a multitude of ways to detect a VPN or expose the client's true IP address. There's also some methods of actively annoying troublesome members until they leave the site. I contributed to such baked in features over a decade ago. There's a lot of ways to track users and even bypass some of the paranoid extensions and usage patterns people developed post Snowden.

5. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

When you say you are you referencing average users/customers or administrators?

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

See? I've wondered about that. Because I've noticed a few accounts that suddenly started posting who were posting from the deep ends. If you look at their history though it says the account has been on Macrumors for years. Those accounts just didn't post in PRSI until we lost our last wave of posters from the deep ends. Which made me wonder if old accounts are just being reactivated to post with. There's no way we'd know and the admins would have to have the free time they don't have to dig into accounts to find the truth.

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

Anyone really. Older software had various user groups that worked in different ways, but generally admins always saw everything, and if you had "hardware" level access (AKA you had login details to the host) you could download and skim through logs.

Some of the oldest methods going back 25 years now still work today.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2018 ---
    Good post. I think I have an idea what you're getting at. Especially lately. If you look at said old posts, you'll see some weirdness then too, going back... say a decade. Weirdness. Yes, that's it.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Yup. I have five people in my ignore list, and four of them have been suspended.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I thought the “no way to tell” option served the same purpose, but if you think I should add it, I will.

Well, Zenithal seems to throw cold water on that idea...maybe... but it is a creepy thought. I’ve noticed the same thing you did, wondering where all these people came from all of a sudden. That was in the back of my mind when I started this topic.

10. Gutwrench, Mar 25, 2018

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

For example?

I seriously doubt PRSI community is so relevant.

*microwaving a piroshki*

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I know I run all my content through the Kremlin before posting.

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

No self-respecting Russian would ever eat a stale piroshki. In fact, they may shank a westerner for even suggesting it. Your post may have been believable, even in jest, if you said you were planning on slathering it with a third of a cup of mayo. They love their mayo there. I have some nightmares from the time I was there.

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

There are nut cases everywhere, and the US seems to have quite a number of them in general, so I really think most of them are posting their genuine beliefs.

A VPN would solve that minor issue for them.

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Nyet. Ve do vhat must be done, dedushka.

15. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I suspect there are a few right here on these forums comrade.

16. Zenithal, Mar 25, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

You're older than me, Iowameister. Go bake some bread.

But even the Russians are terrible at some of their "national" dishes. Way too much variance.
    Not really. VPNs aren't immune to anyone determined to grab your true IP. The purpose of a VPN is to encrypt the traffic between your computer and the destination.

The best way to protect yourself and your data is disabling pretty much everything. Think back to the web in the very early 90s, sans any scripting. It simply doesn't work. Modern sites require modern client-side options to be enabled to function correctly. Any organization can intentionally screw with your VPN and browsers themselves have holes that only get patched later on.

In a way, e-commerce is similar. If you use a card number, it doesn't actually poll your creditor. Your number is a mathematical equation. Plain and simple. It can figure out if it's real or not during the transaction process. Whether it's stolen or not is a different matter. Calculations are used in a lot of identifying situation where there isn't a hook into a large database. It's easy, it's more secure and it works.

17. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

The Russian hysteria has got the libs in a tizzy. Nowadays anyone who dares to hold an opinion out of line with the liberal orthodoxy is automatically branded as a Russian troll. How sad and pathetic.

18. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Conservatives are letting our Democracy continue to be compromised because they refuse to even acknowledge the Russians have meddled and continue to meddle. Very little has been done to combat it.

This stick your head in the sand attitude is dangerous for our country.

But I know it's all partisan politics. At all costs, support your party not common sense!!!

19. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

You should really stop and listen to yourself. Their “meddling” was posting some memes on social networks. That wasn’t illegal to begin with, and had nothing to do with the outcome of the election. If you’re so concerned then fight back by posting Putin memes on Russian social networks. What do you propose we ban anyone with a Russian name from creating a Facebook or twitter account? Put all Russians in interment camps?

20. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Don’t mind me I always stand behind a ficus.

21. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

So in your eyes all the hoopla is about infiltrating social media? Pretty narrow minded and uninformed in my opinion.

"When President Trump phoned Russian President Vladimir Putin to congratulate him on his re-election Wednesday, Trump made no mention of one of the latest irritants between Russia and the West — his administration's announcement that Russia successfully hacked the U.S. power grid".

"You should really stop and listen to yourself" - FWIW I like to hear myself talk. I keep reminding myself that people are not really that ignorant.

22. Zenithal macrumors 604

That's got to be a yuge ficus.

Also, I'm making tri-tip today.

23. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

News flash, countries hack each other all the time. Do you seriously believe that US, China and Russia aren’t constantly probing each other for vulnerabilities?

24. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

So I guess since it goes on all the time let's ignore it. That is just one example.

Are you going to have me dig up a bunch more or are we going to continue to play dumb?
    Nice. On the BBQ?