How many of you actually calibrate your iPhone battery? ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmeisenzahl, Dec 9, 2011.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

How many of you actually calibrate your iPhone battery approx. monthly as Apple recommends? Just curious. I did it a few days after I got the phone, might do it again tonight.

To wit:
    Apple - Batteries - iPhone
    "For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1476?viewlocale=en_US

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I do. I calibrate every time my billing period reaches its halfway mark (every 21st or 22nd depending on 30 or 31 days in a month). I also DFU restore as new the day my bill rolls over. Don't really care about game data, and everything else is in iCloud.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Do Them All

Once a month. 4s, 4 Ipad2 MBA MBP It's just a routine you get into. No big deal except that last 1% of battery prior to shutdown seems to last forever:)

4. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I've always done it the first time the day i get the phone, then i try to remember every month, however that habit seems to disappear as the months go on.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I typically fully drain my phone every other month. So if I fully drain on 1/1/12, then the next time i fully drain the battery is 3/1/12.

6. echo2011 macrumors regular

I drain it once a month for calibration, funny when you WANT to drain it fast you can't seems to hang forever!

7. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I did it once when I first got my 4s to see if it helped the battery issue. That was before apple admitted there actually was an issue. Calibrating the battery seems to me to be a waste of time until they come up with a fix. My battery % is all over the place, depending on what app I happen to have open in the background, if there's any reminders that I've forgot about, if bluetooth was left on and probably 20 other factors. I'll just wait until Apple releases 5.1 so there's hopefully some consistency finally there.

8. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I do, never had a problem with battery life either.

Maybe this is something some people is missing out on and isn't getting good battery life because they ignore it? Not that it should matter, because it should work right out of the box as stated on the specs.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

10. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Does this honestly make any noticeable difference?

11. echo2011 macrumors regular

Makes me feel all warm and cozy! (not) I usually try to follow what's recommended by the manufacturer though, especially on this expensive gadget.

12. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL, VERY true!! :D

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I would rather have a normal speedy device that lasted all day than attempt to find out otherwise.

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Honestly I don't really do this. But, it does get done regularly when I forget to charge to my phone and it loses its charge completely.

15. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I try to calibrate my battery every once in a while. So far it seems to be running fine.

16. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I do it approximately once a month. I dont set a day, but I have a rough estimation of how long it has been.

17. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

I calibrate it almost every day :)

If you're asking why... Because my battery doesn't last 1 working day. 3 hours usage and 5 hours standby and it's gone.

18. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

I didn't do this with my MacBook and my battery lasted just over a year. Been doing it ever since with all my devices and no problem.

19. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

I do so more often that monthly with a new phone because you can't really judge how well a battery will perform until after roughly 10 full cycles! Then at least monthly after that - but I don't bother sticking to any rigid date.

P.S: my initial 5 hour usage is slowly creeping up ...it's around 6 hours now.

20. Zxxv Suspended

I set a repeat reminder for once a month. Siri was kind enough to set it when I asked.

21. xraytech macrumors 68020

I keep it simple, I don't have a monthly drain routine.

I just keep the battery topped off any chance I get. But once in a very very very long while, I'll forget to plug in over night then I use that as an opportunity to recalibrate.

Had my 4s since launch and I've recalibrated maybe 2 times. No battery issues.

Had my iPad 2 since launch, recalibrated maybe 4 times. No battery issues.

Just keep it simple folks.

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Never, ever on my old iPhone 4 and on my iPad 2 and the battery is beyond reproach.

I've had three 4S's now they are far worse with many bugs that don't affect my other devices.

23. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

who says it doesn't work?

I posted earlier that I was getting 6 hours usage, but I underestimated how well it was coming along. I've been power cycling weekly since the 4S launch (two months), last night I ran it down again and checked the stats. I'm now getting similar to my ex-iP4 figures and don't expect it to get any better. There's nothing wrong with this battery. :)

Attached Files:

24. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

haha, wow.