How many of you are just going to tether to a WiFi iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by troop231, Mar 7, 2011.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

I can't really decide to justify the extra money for the iPad 2 with 3G since I can just add the 4GB Data Pro plan to my existing iPhone 4 account (don't have unlimited and HandyLight is not an option (Socks) ) and save $5 over the 2GB iPad plan. ($25 2GB data pro + extra 2GB and Wireless Hotspot for $20)

Is this a good strategy? IE is anyone else planning on doing this? Or are you just going to get the 3G iPad 2 and pay for the data rates.

Another option I considered would be to swap my iPhone 4 sim into my iPad, but then I may miss some important phone calls.

2. Davichi macrumors 6502

Me. I am tethering it. No way I will pay two packages of monthly data.

3. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

What method will you be using to tether? Are you a grandfathered unlimited user? (I wish I was :( )

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My understanding is, if you are an unlimited iPhone user, and you add the tethering plan... you will lose your unlimited data

5. Saberj macrumors regular

I tethered with my iPad and my Sprint phone. Won't be doing that again. It's way too annoying to drain your battery that fast on your phone. I'd rather kill my iPad battery and not be able to use it than to kill both and be without my phone. But different people feel differently.

6. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Hence the reason to JB correct? Im in between a rock and a hard place... I bought the iPhone 4 this summer as a new customer so I didn't try the "hacks" to try to get unlimited data on it. I have the HandyLight app Apple pulled, but it won't work because it uses a Socks proxy.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep. To enable AT&T authorized tethering you'd have to switch from the grandfathered unlimited plan to the new plan allowing tethering/hotspot functionality. The other option, if you have the iphone4 unlimited data, is to JB. You'd technically be outside the TOS (though I've not looked up the specific clause), but I've also not seen reports of AT&T cracking down on users.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I've been tethering my iPad 1 on my iPhone 4s unlimited data plan all along but I'm getting the 3G iPad 2 for a couple reasons. I'm getting tired of having to plug my phone in so it doesn't die well tethering my iPad. Plus I want gps. So I'll get the 3G iPad but I probably won't pay for data all the time. 2 weeks after the iPad 2 comes out so I'm driving to fl so I'll def buy data for the first month.

Kinda tempted to get a VERIZON iPad just for the trip cause I know AT&T service is terrible in the carolinas and Georgia but after that when I'm here in Boston AT&T will be way faster so it would be a waste to buy the VERIZON iPad for just one trip.

9. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Is there anyway at all for me to get unlimited data on my iPhone 4 using the iPhone 2G sim tricks?

10. Davichi macrumors 6502

I am one of the very few people who are fine with 2GB or 4GB data limit.

I have iPhone 4 with 2GB limit data and I pay 20 dollars a month for that.
    I will be switching to iPhone 4's 4GB limited data and I will be paying like 36 dollars a month.

I really don't need unlimited data.

I also have clear iSpot 4G router that I can use. I will be paying 25 dollars a month. (pre-paid= no contract) It gives me a unlimited data with 6-7 Mbps in my area.

I am going to try AT&T plan first, but my only issue with iPhone 4 tethering is a battery life. I heard it doesn't even last 2 hours.

Clear ispot gives me 4 hours easily.

It will all depend on battery life, cost... etc.

I am going to be trying all of them out.

To OP: If you really really want unlimited data, then call up AT&T and ask for it. They offered it to me few months ago, but I refused. Again, they have been offering it very quietly to make people stop from going to verizon.

11. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I am grandfathered into the Unlimited! I use MyWi... and I will suggest it to you. I rarely use 2GB a month.. and that is with my laptop downloading videos while on the go for media events I'm in charge of. I think you would be fine with that. The iPad I believe uses less data than a laptop because of the lack of flash(i think)?

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

I always have tethered, even from the original iPhone. Being on tour means long hours in the van with smelly people. I do miss unlimited data - but if you keep an eye on it - you're fine.

It's nice to browse&chat - and now that I'm not on edge - I can video chat or skype on my MacBook (although that's kind of not as 'awesome' now because of Facetime).

If i were buying an iPad - I would definitely continue tethering.

Most people think that they will go over extremely fast - but you have to realize that everywhere you go nowadays has free wifi. I have never gone over. Book stores, Coffee shops, malls, venues - I'm just ready for publix/walmart/kroger/etc to start dishing out some wifi.

13. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have the Clear iSpot 4G as well, just curious if you have heard of that unlocked thing. I though about doing it so I could use it with my MacBook Pro but I don't want to mess anything up or give up security.

As for the 3G iPad 2, the only reason I'd want a iPad 2 3G is for international use. I don't know how times that will happen for me so I don't think I'll do that.

14. osxnewbe macrumors regular

I'm already paying for data plans for 2 iPhones so I am hesitatnt to pay for a 3rd data plan. I use mywi on my iPhone. Yes it does drain the battery but in most cases, I have access to power so it's not that big of a deal unless I'm on my boat.

15. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I'll tether, I don't even use 3G data on my iPhone a lot so no need for me to buy the 3G iPad. If I have my iPad with me I'll just tether it if I need to.

16. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

I guess that I'm going to just upgrade my 2GB DataPro plan to the new 4GB one, mostly because I don't want to hassle with buying a 2G iPhone on eBay, going to ATT for a blank regular sim, and messing with ATT on the phone. Doesn't seem worth it in the end really. Plus I really don't want to JB my iPhone 4 either.

17. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Personal Hotspots is great, i'll be doing it.

18. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Looks like I am too lol, I'm activating it right now on ATT's website! :cool:

19. bobright macrumors 601

Going to use Mywi to tether to new iPad 2....

20. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

21. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm going to tether as it's easier for me than paying 2 seperate bills, but I seriously doubt I will use the 4GB per month to it's capacity to be honest.

23. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

I typically only use 250MB a month on my iPhone 4, and the majority of that is just from App updates! :eek:

24. andyroochoo macrumors member

does the battery really only last 120 minutes whilst tethering?

that value seems a little low

25. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

Tethering via JB. No way I am paying $25/month for the privilege of using data I already pay for.

I would pay $25/month if it were unlimited, I think that is fair.

I would pay $25 or more for a 1 time activation.

NO way I am paying extra money to use data I already pay for. Check please.