How many of you are running Windows via VMWare or Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GadgetGeek407, Aug 27, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I had VMWare on my 13 pro cause I run my dealer software on it, how many of you are running it on the 13 air? how is it? how much space does it take up? if you put it do sleep does it wake up sluggish like my 13 pro did?

What is the difference between parallels and VM? is one better than the other in ways? if so, how?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That was only a sample of the dozens of threads on the topic, designed to let you know there are many if you search. I'll do the search for you, for recent threads, even though this topic doesn't change much, so the older threads are just as valuable as the newer ones. Not much has changed:

Vm Fusion vs Parallels vs Bootcamp
    Fusion or Parallels: which would you buy today?
    Virtual Box or Buy Parallels/ Fusion?
    Parallels 6 Vs. VMware Fusion vs Virtual Box
    parallels or fusion?

The links weren't intended to discourage posting; only to show you the resources that are available if you search.

3. bill-p macrumors 68000

If you are looking for faster answers than search...

Parallels have a few advantages over VMWare. Namely...

1) Parallels has better GPU virtualization, which results in some applications running much faster in Parallels than in VMWare. Others don't run any faster but may use less CPU load compared to VMWare.
    2) Parallels has deeper integration with Mac OSX, which means you can seamlessly integrate Windows applications to run on your Mac like they were built for Mac OSX.

VMWare, however, is still preferred because...

1) Where graphics are not concerned, VMWare is more compatible and less crash-prone.
    2) VMWare supports more OSes, and many custom virtual environments have pre-installed packages of VMWare.
    3) While Parallels has an option to convert VMWare package to their own, it's still preferred that what was built to run on VMWare should stay on VMWare.
    4) VMWare has a more coherent interface than Parallels. Or should I say, VMWare keeps it together better. Parallels interface may strike as odd sometimes and may also feel redundant.

As for waking up a virtual machine, it is faster on my Macbook Air 13" than on my Macbook Pro 13". Sleep takes less than 2 seconds, and wake takes less than 3 regardless of how many apps are open.

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

The answers have not changed since the first MBAs came out. Fresh answers? Right.

To save the OP from reading a 'stale' answer. They both run fine, very little difference between the products.

5. sloan47 macrumors member

My best advice to you is to install the trial of Parallels and then install VirtualBox. Test them both out for your needs then go with the one that you like the best. Sometimes there is no "best" VM software. Each have advantages and disadvantages. You just have to play with it.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Just an FYI, VMware is built by a company that offers enterprise-level VM software. Some of your telecom services may be supported by virtual servers running their software in the back office....

7. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

As one of you said Parallels offers the ability to run windows apps on Mac? Is that so?

I would love to run this ONE app that runs in windows, right on my mac lol I HATE WINDOWS ever since coming to mac!!!

Also what is the easiest fastest way to install windows physically on my macbook air since there is no drive! :( Anyone have a file they can send me or something an exe file for windows 7 ? do I need 64 or 32?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's exactly what VMware Fusion and Parallels is intended for.
    Both the VMware site and the Parallels site have detailed installation instructions.

MacBook Air, Mac mini: How to use Remote Disc to share DVDs or CDs from a Mac or Windows-based computer

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You will need an ISO image of a Windows installation CD. Either that or an external CD drive.

Sending you a file would probably not be legal.

Unless your application NEEDS it, I'd stick to 32 bit. The Air only has 4GB, and you will likely be giving your Windows virtual machine 1 or 2 of that, so 64 bit is a wasted effort, plus even some Windows apps dont like Windows 64! :D

10. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I got confused! I use VM currently on my 13 pro but I hate having to go INTO windows and using the program lol, I almost for a second that that Parallels has the ability to port the program to the Mac OS side and I can open and use it there! lol

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Both are virtualization apps that create a virtual Windows machine for you to run Windows apps in, while still booted into Mac OS X. Windows applications cannot run in native Mac OS X.

12. GadgetGeek407, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011

GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I installed virtual box, gonna try that since iv already given VM a shot, not that I'm dissatisfied by VM by any means, just wondering what the difference is? is it any faster? better? anyone who has used both that can say a few things please?

13. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bring a WHOLE NEW level of laziness considering the DVD is like a few feet away from me and I can plug it into my Dell and use the drive to install but EH who needs slow media when you have ISO lol or NOT lol

14. GadgetGeek407, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011

GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whats a good program to turn it into an iso? ISO magic i think is what i use to use back in my windows days

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

16. KylePowers, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

You could try WINE if you don't want to use virtual machines.

I haven't it used it (yet), but one of my professors recommended it for running MATLAB on a Mac (even though I think MATLAB has a Mac version...)

EDIT - Also, I've had pretty good success with Virtualbox (free), but I seldom run super intensive applications or games or anything.

17. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I installed Virtual Box, and last night I didn't make an ISO for my disk so now I have it on my thumb drive, but now I cannot figure out where to go to install the OS? When it starts it says no bootable media found on the dos window. How can I install the OS?

----------

ok never mind found it, but now its saying I need 5722 mb free to install windows 7 professional. but I have 1.1 gb allocated and free so whats up with that? I could have swore on VM I only had like 1 gb free

18. KylePowers, Aug 28, 2011

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm a little confused to what you're saying/asking but maybe because 5722MB is more than 1.1GB? 5722MB = 5.722GB; 1.1GB = 1100MB. Obviously if you only have 1.1GB available, that won't be enough.

19. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im gonna start from scratch, should I use the existing hard disk or create a new one? How much disk space should I allocate considering windows was wanting 5gb just to install? I just don't remember VM doing this! I will only run one program out of there

20. 3dflyboy1, Aug 28, 2011

3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

5722MB = 5.7GB...so the 1.1GB you allocated isn't gonna be enough. ;)

but looks like ya figured that out already.

--------------

EDIT:
    umm... you need to allocate more than the bare minimum for the OS if you wanna dual-boot. It all depends on how much data you want to save within windows. VM probably didn't do this because it was running a VM... a virtual machine :p

How much data do you think you'll input through windows? 10GB? 50GB? from your sig it looks like you have plenty of room on your SSD, sooo maybe allocate half to windows? ≈128GB? IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH DATA YOU SAVE WITHIN THE WINDOWS OS.

21. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Virtualbox usually suggests a recommended amount of space. I personally would just do 10 or 15GB (to be safe).

22. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

OP, have you tried bootcamp yet? If not, TRY IT!!! :) It's easier than manual partitioning and OS installation.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With Boot Camp, you still have to partition and install, but without the advantage of being able to run a Windows app while simultaneously running Mac apps.