How many of you are sticking with 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vampireszombies, Sep 14, 2012.

?

Are you staying with your 4/4S?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2012.
  1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. No, I think it's worth it to upgrade.

90 vote(s)
    63.4%
  1. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

Just curious. I'm debating very much to upgrade or not.
    The only thing that really catches my eye is a bigger screen. It's the only gripe I have about the 4S really. I can't decide whether a two yr contract plus $200 is worth .5 more of screen.

So, are you sticking with your 4/4S? Why or why not?

2. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

If on Verizon, absolutely as LTE is available in a lot of places. If on AT&T or Sprint, there's a lot of factors to consider. Such as: Are you in a city with LTE? Do you need the faster CPU? Want a bigger screen?

3. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have an iPhone 4S and have no plans to upgrade to the iPhone 5. I'm going to wait for the iPhone 5S/iPhone 6 to upgrade.

4. appswipe macrumors 6502

Ive got this dilemma also. My Pro/Con list goes like this

Reasons to Upgrade (iPhone 5):
    + Bigger Screen
    + Better Camera (supposedly but I dont believe its a significant jump)
    + Screen/Hardware design not likely to change next year
    + Front end of new hardware cycle means no 2nd year hardware jealousy

Reasons to Wait (iPhone 5S):
    - "S" models always have a significantly better camera
    - NFC likely (this is NOT only about mobile payments. its really cool stuff)
    - Better camera (camera is a huge feature for me and so far im not impressed)
    - Second gen in new hardware cycle tends to be less problematic
    - Second gen means on year two you have to get jealous that everyone has an iPhone 6

I already put my deposit down at Best Buy but I'm going to wait until I hold one before committing. Its definitely a good looking product but it's not mind blowing. And Apple is due to give us a mind blowing product so I'm really worried about locking into a 2yr with the iPhone 5 and then having the iPhone 6 do something radically cool.

5. N23 macrumors regular

For now, I am.

I have an upgrade on my second line I can use next month,
    will most likely hold off and see what the 920 has to offer.
    If it's a fail I will most likely pick up an iP5.

The iP5 is a solid phone, but I don't know.
    This year was the first year I wasn't itching to upgrade.

6. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It is not a big bump but a larger screen is what I have been whining about for years so I shall happily upgrade.

7. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I am sticking with my 4S. Still on contract til fall 2013. 4S was my first iPhone. Personally I would never upgrade yearly. My 4S does it for me and I can't part so soon.

8. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Right now, I'm not going to upgrade from my 4S. There was no compelling reason for me to upgrade. LTE would've been THE one reason, except AT&T has no LTE here in the Seattle-Tacoma area. Hopefully, by the time the next iPhone arrives, LTE will be available here.

9. aleni macrumors 68020

man i love the black iPhone 5. i really do. it looks slick like a knight rider's movie back in the 90s.

but after upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS6 GM. boy, this thing is still smooth, even smoother than on iOS5. battery life is good too.

i'd stick with my 4S for the time being until the iPhone 5S comes out.

10. jarvijarv macrumors regular

I have a 4S, but I will definitely upgrade to the 5 because my carrier AT&T says I'm eligible for the $199 price, :D I originally had a 4, but it got stolen early in the 2yr contract. I waited until I was eligible for an upgrade, and then got the 4S. To my surprise, I was super excited I could upgrade to the 5, after owning the 4S for a short period.

I feel the upgrade from 4S to 5 is well worth it. The longer screen, better color saturation, better battery life, better Siri, A6 chip, and the new Apple maps(iMaps?) are stand outs for anyone eligible to get the discounted iPhone or who is a first time iPhone owner. ;)

11. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I'm going to upgrade from the white iPhone 4s to the black iPhone 5. I plan on sticking with AT&T too. To be honest, I just like the look of the phone a lot. I'm kind of tired of my white iPhone.

12. toondw macrumors 6502

I was keeping the iphone 4s until 45 minutes after pre order started......

I resisted a whole 45 minutes! im a weakling! Ordered 32gb black.

13. Nezben macrumors newbie

I think ill keep mine for a few months and see how i feel after the rush has died down.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would love to for LTE, but I can't upgrade until June without having to pay full price. I also don't exactly have $200+ to spend on a phone when my 4S has no issues. What sucks is I didn't plan on buying the 4S, but I dropped my iPhone 4 and it eventually ceased to be usable. I sold the replacement to a friend for an extra $50 and bought a 4S. However, that allowed me to switch to Verizon and not have to deal with a crap phone signal at home anymore.

15. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

Have been upgrade eligible since 11 Aug but I think I'm just gonna stick with my 4S and iOS 6 when I comes out on Wednesday.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Sticking with 4s. No compelling reason to move.

17. renesandy macrumors regular

renesandy

I was going to stick with it because I'm not eligible for an upgrade, but decided to jump the gun for screen and LTE. While I paid $489 for 16GB, AT&T gave me $120 off my bill and I can easily sell my 4S for $350 = $470. Net loss of $19. Not bad! :D
    :apple:

18. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I'll be sticking to my 4S for a little while longer.

I was all geared up to upgrade when my contract runs out, but honestly the iPhone 5 just doesn't do it for me. It's a nice enough hardware upgrade, but after the initial hype goes I know I'm going to be kicking myself for spending so much.

19. BB.King macrumors regular

Slightly off topic, I ordered a 32GB iPhone 5 but also looking on eBay to see if I can pickup a 64GB iPhone 4s for £350 which is half the cost of a 64GB iPhone 5.

For half the price, I think the smaller screen and "slower" CPU/GPU of the 4S is a good trade off, since there is no LTE with my carrier.

Also with the saving I could get a 16GB iPad as well.

20. appswipe macrumors 6502

I've got mine reserved but I'm flip flopping back and forth on upgrading The big question I'm asking is this:

If it wasn't for the bigger screen then would you upgrade?

Its funny because I've been whining about a bigger screen forever but for some reason Im just not excited about this phone since nothing here is really mind blowing and I'm questioning a few choices that they've made.

Aluminum - Macbooks scratch like crazy so how will a phone hold up? Especially a black one?

16:9 - I was hoping a surprise feature in iOS6 would prove this is the "right" size. We got nothing.

Software Bezels - Hardware bezels are tolerable but software bezels in legacy apps could get ugly. Not every dev updates.

iOS6 - Most new features come from the OS, not the hardware. (Siri, Maps, Pano etc)

Camera - Same camera but over-saturated? Ill wait for reviews but Apple may be falling behind in a category they once were leaders

Again, Im not trying to slam it but I am trying to be rational (which is something I've never bothered with in previous gens because they were always such drastic upgrades that it was a no-brainer).

21. chokem macrumors 6502

My next upgrade is in Jan, so I'll make me decision them. But most likely I will get the 5. I've had the last four models, so why stop now? :p

22. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

I'll upgrade to it but not until probably late October or early November. Since I'm on T-Mobile, I don't feel a need to rush out and get the 5 and still continue to experience Edge data. Once the refarming is completed in my area, I'll get one. Unlimited data on HSPA+ 42 alone will be worth it. If the 5 is anything like the HSPA 42 Androids I've used, I should be able to average around 15-20mbps down.

23. alent1234 macrumors 603

for now it's 4S, the 5 is for my wife

if the resale values stay the same into late next month i'll upgrade

24. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

the most importantly feature, although about 2 years late for Apple is the 4G LTE - i pre-ordered mine yesterday to be delivered on the 21st :D

25. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade, so I'll be sticking with my 4... I've got LTE on my Droid Razr for those times when I need to browse the web really fast. :)