How many of you are sticking with your first generation iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nitromaxx, Mar 7, 2011.

  1. nitromaxx macrumors member

    May 15, 2009
    I'm thinking about getting my first iPad and I'm wanting to know how many of you are sufficiently satisfied with your first generation iPad and are skipping the iPad 2. Since Apple has lowered the price on the first gen iPads, it seems to me that it may be worth saving $150 to get a refurbished first gen iPad instead of the iPad 2. Any thoughts?

    P.S. For those who would bite my head off and tell me to use the search function before posting a new thread on this topic, I did that already and did not find any threads on this topic.
  2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a


    Jan 5, 2011
    I'm keeping mine. No reason to replace a perfectly good 2 month old iPad.
  3. zoziw macrumors member


    Feb 19, 2006
    I use my iPad a lot but primarily to access the web through Safari and check email; so while the iPad 2 certainly sounds nice I just don't see the need to pick one up. I do need to remember to get AppleCare for my iPad soon.

    Sent from my iPad
  4. Macostendoto macrumors member

    Sep 3, 2010
    I was an early adopter. Ordered my iPad 32GB and received it April 3rd. I really considered selling it to better justify my buying of the iPad 2 but I just couldn't. It's the ORIGINAL. Its the tablet to rule them all and define them all. I just feel like later on down the road I'll really be glad I still have one of those products that revolutionized a market. It's already a classic and will be forever so I'm hanging on to it as well as ordering an iPad 2. But after that I'll be set. I can't imagine anything that the iPad 3 could have that'd make me want it over the iPad 2:apple:
  5. smithrh macrumors 68020


    Feb 28, 2009
    i have - and am still quite happy with - a launch-day 16Gb WiFi-only model.

    Unlike many others here, I think that there's at least a reasonable possibility that the iPad 3 (or iPad 2 Pro) before the holiday buying season.

    While I may be tempted by seeing an iPad 2 in person, for now I'm sticking with the original.

    I do ultimately want to have an LTE-capable iPad which has some sort of upgraded screen.
  6. Bad.Hat.Harry macrumors newbie


    Mar 14, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    I love my iPad, but so does my daughter. She is constantly hijacking it. That and the fact that it has a deep scratch on the screen that annoys me whenever I look at that part of the screen means that I will be getting the iPad2 while she will get the hand me down.
  7. DetroitDrillSGT macrumors newbie


    Mar 4, 2011
    MD, U.S.
    Keeping mine...

    Got a great deal on it when I purchased it right before Christmas. No need for me to upgrade.

    I might even buy another first gen base model for my dad.
  8. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2008
    I'll be stick'n with the original. Not enough change from 1 to 2 to constitute an upgrade for me.
  9. gr8tfly macrumors 603


    Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    +1 Almost as if wrote it myself ;)

    I'm still undecided on getting the iPad 2, but if I do, I can't get myself to part with the original (also launch day). I'll have to admit, as the days go by, I'm leaning more and more towards showing up at BB Friday night. :)

    I think the performance upgrade is the most attractive feature and will future proof it past iPad 3 - although, no one knows what Apple could be capable of a year from now.
  10. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

    Nov 3, 2010
    I was going to stick with the original but my dad recently started hijacking it so i figured why not just pass that on to him and upgrade. Its a win-win i guess.
  11. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

    Sep 17, 2010
    As much as I like to have the latest and greatest, I am afraid that if I bought the new one, I would not be able to justify the purchase. I primarily use my ipad for school apps and safari. From what I have read, 4.3 makes safari faster on the ipad 1 so I think I can live with that. The cameras mean nothing to me. I have a ipod touch while my wife has a iphone and we have probably used facetime about 3 times. Lastly, I have a 64gb 3g model. If I bought a 16gb, I would not have enough space for all the stuff I carry on my current ipad. If I went for the 64gb 3g model, it would be harder to justify since I can add 20 bucks and buy a much more capable refurbished macbook air (wife has a MBA and loves it).
  12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    There are some reviews citing benchmarks remain nearly unchanged. I'm wondering if it is worth the upgrade at all. I'm waiting.
  13. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    I'm sticking with my ipad1 until an iOS update or some app gives me enough reason to upgrade. While the ipad2 seems real nice, the improvements aren't really in the areas that would affect my usage in a sufficiently meaningful way. So what if it takes 0.1 seconds istead of 0.2 seconds to go to the next page in PDF Expert? :)

    No slight meant to those who have a reason to upgrade, even if it's just because. For me though I'm not seeing a need to upgrade at this time. That could always change somewhere down the road.
  14. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a


    Mar 21, 2009
    Keeping my iPad1 anf NOT going to iPad2. Not enough difference. And I don't want to run around nervously wasting so much time and effort trying to sell one to buy the other.

    There's more important things in life. Pus iPad3 is the one to keep in our sights, not this current carrot dangled in front of our noses.
  15. martin1000 macrumors 6502

    Apr 16, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
  16. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

    Sep 17, 2010
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I think I will upgrade when the killer app comes out that does not run on my ipad 1. By that time, I can either order a refurbished model or just walk in the apple store and buy one in 5 minutes versus waiting hours on launch day.
  17. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

    Jun 10, 2007
    Cary, NC
    Sticking with mine. It's working great with 4.3GM. I have no real reason to upgrade right now. I'll wait and see what iPad 3 is like a year from now.
  18. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

    Apr 1, 2008
    My friend is upgrading to the iPad 2 so I bought her first gen 32GB 3G iPad. I say stick with iPad 1 until an iPad with a better screen comes out.
  19. gigaguy macrumors 65816

    Apr 19, 2010
    I'll probably keep mine, add the costs of covers, screen protectors, etc and it's not enough of a change to update. plus major sites are reporting that the speed increase is not that great. (altho another site is reporting a bigger speed increase). I was hoping for a much lighter one (not realistic I know).

    plus not selling mine a month ago, will take too big of a hit to sell it now.
    someone posted if stock is low on the ipad2, that ipad1 might go up in value a little. you never know. (no preorders is making me think ipad2 inventory will be lower than ipad1 was). ??
  20. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816


    Apr 21, 2007
    White Mntns, Arizona
    I'm sticking with my original iPad at least until iPad 3. I don't really like the flat design of the iPad 2, thinner is not always better, at least for me. Maybe my opinion will change once I see and use an iPad 2 in person, but for now I'm quite happy with my iPad "Classic". :)
  21. PCsAreRubbish macrumors member

    May 9, 2010
    Dorset UK
    Just bought a bargain brand new 16gb wifi iPad 1 for £289 in the uk, not enough new stuff on iPad 2 to warrant the extra £150. iPad 1 is still state of the art compared to other tablets and does fine for general web, music, photos etc.
  22. master-ceo macrumors 65816


    Sep 7, 2007
    The SUN
    I'm keeping mine because I like it on iOS 3.2 for what I do with it. Still getting the iPad 2 tho.
  23. darkhost macrumors newbie

    Mar 8, 2011
    I am perfectly content with my 1st Generation iPad, as I barely use it to begin with unless I'm traveling.

    The biggest factor that will ever get me to buy another iPad is if Apple finally intergrates a USB and HDMI slot.
  24. fatbarstewar macrumors member

    Feb 21, 2009
    To be honest, if I'd not already sold it a few months ago when I got an 11" MBA, I'd have probably stuck with the iPad 1 for another year. The 2 is nice, and I intend to pick up a 16gb wifi purely for fun, but I don't see it as a massive upgrade for existing owners, unless you're gagging for the cameras of course.

    That said, I wouldnt buy an iPad 1 now, even at reduced price, as when the 3 comes around the 1 will be pretty much obsolete for newer apps - fine for a device you've had for two years, not ideal for a gadget you've had for 1 year IMO.
  25. k995 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 23, 2010
    Skipping, no real reason to upgrade.

    Perhaps when some decent games start to arrive, but I think by that time we will be at ipad 3 .

Share This Page