How many of you are truly happy with your MacBook purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mojopixel, Feb 14, 2008.

?

Are you happy with your MacBook?

1. Yes, I am 100% happy with my MacBook

129 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. I am happy but it could be a lot better

36 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. No, I am not happy with my MacBook

13 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

I just wanted to see if you guys were happy or not with your MacBooks.

cheers,

mp

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

me, couldn't be happier. although i hv to install vista to run some scientific apps. oh well, it's for work.

3. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

You mean the regular MacBook? Because I just got an MBP two weeks ago, and I must say I'm quite happy with it. The keyboard sucks and the bottom already has a small dent :( but other than that, it's good!

4. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I love my macbook to pieces. :eek:

I was initially unsure about the small screen size as I had not used one smaller than 15", but, the screen is fine and to be honest I have not noticed any difference. The keyboard I do love.

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

100% happy with my blackbook core duo 2.0ghz 2gb ram :)

6. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Mine is fine now that I have 10.5.2 installed :)

7. doug.hall macrumors regular

Same here. It woudn't shut down orr restart without holding down the poser button before 10.5.2. Now all is good and I feel so less stressed.

8. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Got a mid-range (ie Not black!) MB at Christmas, stuck 2Gb of RAM in it and love it!

I run VMware Fusion on it but I NEVER run Windows now, (always nice to have the option).

Never had any problems with it but installed 10.5.2 and the Graphics update this week and still runs like a dream.

I work in an IT organisation and even here I get comments about how 'cool' it looks!

It has cost me a lot of money though, because I bought the RAM, sleeve, bag and passport external HD for it though so be careful, you'll get hooked!

HTH and good luck when you decide to buy, (if that's what prompted the start of this thread!).

- D

9. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

same here. since 10.5.2 almost everything works flawless!

10. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Never been better, i upgraded from a medion xp laptop i bought about 4 or so years ago, i dont have windows installed as i am determined to avoid at all cost after the experience i have had with my xp laptop. I have have had no problems of anykind since i bought it in novemeber.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Got my White 2.0 CD MacBook in May 2006.

Awesome little machine... very, very happy with it, and won't be getting a new machine until next year (unless something unforeseen happens), keeping up with a long standing 3 year upgrade cycle.

Need a bigger screen for one project I'm working on, and looked into the possibility of trading up to a MBP last fall, but when that deal fell through (though not completely, I've got a 24" iMac at my disposal at work) I upgraded my HD from a (near-full) custom 200GB@4200 to a (now half-full) 320GB@5400 and the machine feels like new... :cool:

The MacBook is competing with my old Pismo as being my "best Mac ever", and it's winning... ;)

10.5.0 was OK, 10.5.1 was one of Apple's worst revisions ever, 10.5.2 seems nicer, so far...

12. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I bought my refurbished MacBook in January '07 as a switch to Mac from windoze. Prior to this, I owned 4 notebooks (2 hp and 2 sony) Here's how I describe my MacBook:

Least expensive
    Most reliable
    Easiest
    Lightest
    Longest battery life
    Best looking
    Most stable
    Most fun

These attributes are attributed to both the machine and the OS.

I am very happy. :apple: :)

13. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

this is my first mac, i after this purchase i will never buy a pc again. i love everything about this. i know its just not the computer, but the whole osx and that's why i love my macbook. i have had no problems with it(knock on wood) and hope it can last me another three years through college so then i can buy myself what ever apple is going to throw at us by then!

14. Norskie macrumors newbie

Rotten Apple

Bought my MacBook a year and a half ago. After one year the power cord started smoking and had to be replaced. Then the battery went. Now 6 months later the hard drive died!! Enough is enough. We bought an Apple product because we believed their marketing propoganda that their systems were so much more reliable than other brands. NOT TRUE! We have 3 Apple computers in our family (2 MacBooks and an iMac) but won't be buying any more.

15. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

Mine is perfect. Definitely the best computer I've ever owned.

I'm just very paranoid that the casing is going to crack, so I hardly ever close the lid. Heh.

16. Crossbone macrumors regular

My Pro is great now with 10.5.2 :), 10.5.1 was a messsssssss!!!!! :eek:

17. Smallville macrumors regular

It's a mixed bag of emotions for me. I love the portability. I love being able to work on the computer while in the recliner while the wife watches TV. I was a sports writer for a while, and it was very useful when I needed to travel (cheap company didn't buy laptops until this year).

However, I'm disappointed with a few things. It's white/gray, so it becomes noticeably dirty. I usually keep a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser in the bag or in the office for cleaning the plastic. Also, I'm having issues with the battery. It will maybe last an hour before shutting down, usually at "70%" although that can't be the case. When pushing the button on the battery, three green dots always light up. Either the battery is really fried or the software is interpreting the capacity incorrectly. Therefore, I haven't been able to calibrate this battery for more than a year.

Also during the first year, I had to ship it off for some kind of repair, but I don't remember what it was. Possibly the logic board.

I haven't been able to send it in for an estimate of repair because I forgot to register AppleCare before the first year was up. That was no fault of Apple, just my own stupidity for leaving the paperwork in a desk too long.

I'll probably get an iMac this summer and sell this MacBook for cheap as is.

18. PowerPointSamur macrumors newbie

Until a few months ago...

My life with my Macbook Pro 17" 2.16 was pure bliss until around Halloween 2007 when the hard drive catastrophically failed. Luckily I had actually done a backup for some inexplicable reason (angel on my shoulder?), and upgraded to a 200 GB 7200 rpm Hitachi from the stock Seagate 100GB 7200 rpm without too much blood and treasure. Leopard had just come out, and I had that installed as long as I was starting from scratch anyway.

For some reason, especially since around Christmas, my machine has begun freezing up totally a few times a week, sometimes a few times a day. I've read elsewhere on this site about others complaining about keyboard lockups and such, but my mouse and EVERYTHING simply stops cold and I have to hard-boot. I tried waiting, I've tried using Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, zapping the PRAM, etc. One other thread here talks about the same problem and they used TechTool Pro without results, so I haven't bothered with that. I've read the logs and can't find any telling problem.

The only warning I get--if you can call it that--is that I start seeing graphics artifacts on the screen. Sometimes I see transparent blue swooshes (like the genie effect for the dock, but frozen in place), or a TV-static like line across the screen at some random place.

The only caveat I have here is that I push this thing hard. I use a lot of processor intensive apps, and even when I'm not personally running it, I have BOINC running, so my processor usually runs at 100% 24/7/365. That said, the G5 does the same thing, and so did the G3 I had for years--all without a problem. When I bought a 17" laptop, portability was not my primary attribute--it was the power to run the stuff I need to run, so I expect it to run hard.

I never had this problem before, and I've had this computer since they came out in the spring of 06. I used to have uptimes in the range of WEEKS (and only then because it's a portable and I took it somewhere). My G5 has uptimes of MONTHS and never locks up or crashes. Until this problem started happening, this thing absolutely ROCKED and I don't want to use anything else.

19. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's okay.

If it broke down, I'd almost certainly sell it and get a Thinkpad. As long as it works, though, I figure I'll keep it. If I'd done a bit more research on the cracking/Magsafe, I'd probably have skipped the computer altogether for the T61. For now, though, it's working well-enough. I wouldn't say "truly happy" at all. More like satisfied for the time being. Quite frankly, this is a $700 computer being sold for twice as much, and that's probably the most annoying part. I enjoy Tiger, but the hardware doesn't come close to the quality of the software, and that's Apple's biggest flaw across the board.

20. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

The only reason I'm not happy is that i should've waited a month for the MacBook Pro updates, which meant i could afford one of those (which is what i need))

But it was my first mac notebook, and i'll be buying another one in 18 months-2 yrs time anyway

21. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Awesome, was thinking about a MBA, but not because of any reason other than size...

MB is an awesome machine

22. TSE macrumors 68030

I bought a MacBook Core Duo 1st generation blackbook. After about 7 repairs, and over 6 5-hour phone calls, I finally got a replacement with the new MacBooks that came out in November. When I got the MacBook, I thought, yippee! New macbook, faster, and more reliable I bet. I install all my software, and find out that some of the games I paid 20 bucks each for won't work because 16-bit color isn't supported on the new graphics chip. Ok, not bad I suppose, I wish it would work but whatever, I have an iMac G5 for that. A month later, the battery starts messing up, and I get a new battery. Now, in February, the MacBook's keyboard gets all #^$&ed up, and they offer to replace it with the same model. I do not have time for this!

23. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I've had my MacBook black for almost a month now. I am very happy with it. I have been a PC user forever. I did use an Apple IIc though.

I have upgraded the RAM and learning more everyday.

24. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i love my mb. 'nuff said. it does everything i want it to do and more.

25. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

I've had mine since August 2006 and have never felt the need to upgrade, even when working for Apple with a pretty big discount I never felt the need as hard as I tried to convince myself.

I'm onto my second magsafe adapter but apart from that, I love the thing :)