How many of you are using iPad in business?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by davidlw, Jan 10, 2011.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

How many of you are using the iPad in your business? If so what programs do you use the most?

2. KeithJenner, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011

KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

I use my iPad for my work. It is used as a secondary device when I'm at my desk (I usually have my to do list open on it so that I can keep an eye on that without having to switch windows on my desktop). There are very few, if any, instances where the iPad would be better than a desktop if you are at your desk.

I have started using Evernote for notetaking at meetings. Handy because it automatically syncs with your other devices.

It is when I am out and about that the iPad comes into its own. The main reason I bought it was I had been looking for a way of being able to access databases when mobile. The Filemaker Go App is excellent and I use it often when out and about. Of course, you ned to be using Filemaker for it to work.

I use GoodReader to access reference documents and grab anything I need from the Cloud.

iWork (mainly Numbers) for doing any spreadsheet/wordprocessing work when I'm mobile. It is obviously slower than using the desktop versions but at least it is always there.

And I use LogMeIn and Parallels to access our business accounts packages etc.

Basically, nothing that can't be done on a laptop/desktop, but much more mobile. The ability to be able to bring up documents on a decent sized screen or to just do some work on the move is invaluable.

3. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Freelancing, yeah .. the plan is to use it for quick prototype drawing, taking notes and having access to online data to demonstrate.

4. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Per my signature I use it for everything. Primary apps including Goodreader (can't do without it frankly), Pages (and to a lesser extent Numbers), and iBooks for reading PDFs of scripts. Also tons of safari and mail of course...

5. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I am definitely using my iPad for business: Pages, Keynotes, Numbers, SketchBook, and Skype round out the apps I use on a daily basis. I also demo our game and clients apps on it as well.

6. bossxii, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

bossxii macrumors 68000

I use it daily for business and it has been a great tool that allows me to do everything I need. I use the basics from email to web, but the Goodreader app let's me carry blueprints and PDFs with me that I never bothered carrying before. I use RDP and VPN functions to the companies order entry system and RDP to my home computer when I need a document to be dropped into Dropbox or iDisk.

I take my iPad everywhere, it's how portable computing should be imo. I don't need a 5 lb computer with 3 hours of battery life to read documents, show plans and do what I need. Any major project or bid is created when I'm in the office and on a workstation, the iPad has sold product for me simply because it was in my hand and ready when I needed it. I carry it in a portfolio vs a laptop in a bag with a charger and all the crap I used to never bother taking out of my car. Now I always have the resource whenever an opportunity arises.

List of apps would be:

Good reader
    iAnnotate
    Dropbox/iDisk
    Evernote
    iWork suite of apps as well

The funny thing about the iPad is the conversations it leads to. I've sat with a client that usually is all business, if you schedule a 30 min meeting you better be done and and be out of his office. Sometime this past August I dropped in just to say hello, no appointment, just a quick in and out. He was on the phone and I could hear him talking about looking for some warranty info on a product my competition sold. I loaded up the info on my iPad, and when he came to say hi I showed him the PDF from the site and already emailed it to him. Clearly happy that I had done this for him he invited me to lunch, a rarity, and we proceeded to talk about anything but business for nearly two hours. I was in shock, as he was impossible to corner for meeting let alone lunch. I learned more about his personal life and his interest in gadgets that I would have not likely have learned otherwise. Talk about an icebreaker.

This is not the only time the iPad was a great icebreaker for some of my clients that were interested in it and how I used it for work. Sure it could be any tablet but right now the iPad is what I own and love for my daily needs.

7. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use the iPad along with my iPhone for my sales job. I handle about 1500 customers so keeping up with them is a chore. With the iPad, it is nice to sync all of the customers with my iPhone using Mobile Me. I keep up with sales, contacts, and delivery dates. I use Docs-to-Go for so much and it is a really nice program.

With the OS upgrade, now I can print to my wireless printer and don't need to use the desktop Mac nearly as much.