How many of you could never go back to a "dumb phone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Jun 9, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I know for a fact I could never go back to a "dumb phone", I used my grandparents phone today, just some old style flip phone, felt like I was calling from a rock!

There is just zero options on those phones AND they don't have the retina display which is absolutely amazing not to mention all the apps at our disposal.

Just curious if any MacRumors members could or have gone back to a "dumb phone"??

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I attempted it a couple years back (switched out my first gen iPhone for a Samsung flip to save some money). That lasted all of a couple days.

I'm 100% sure I'd never be able to use anything that isn't a smartphone. There's just too many day to day uses that I've acquired since using smartphones that I refuse to give up.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. Coasterfanryan macrumors regular

I have a lot of friends like that, they hate to use my phone (LG Voyager) when they forget theirs. Seems like everyone has a smart phone, I kinda feel left out. :S

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

There have been many technological advances in my life (I long predate cell phones). I COULD go back, but I wouldn't WANT to.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That depends. If I could have another piece of tech too, like a tablet or iPod touch I could do it no problem. If I had to go back to an old phone and nothing else, probably not.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Me. As much as a technonerd as I am, I can't imagine it. My brain doesn't function as well as it should at times, so it's nice to have the Internet in my pocket (tm).

But really, one of the key features I saw from the beginning was having the Mac Address Book sync with my phone without crazy software and figuring out iSync, plus whether your phone would work with it.

I didn't really care so much about the Internet stuff when the first model came out, but I learned what the big fuss was soon. Now I can get news from tons of sources, have a weather radio that I can carry around with me, get all sorts of entertainment anywhere (thank you MLB At-Bat and MLS MatchDay), and all kinds of other things. If the NFC stuff comes to the 2012 iPhone and can eventually do away with credit cards and, especially, all of those store discount cards, it will be a huge damn benefit for me.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Same here. I was well into my thirties before I got my first mobile phone and we seemed to cope with life just fine before then. :)

9. dspalton macrumors 6502a

I went back to some samsung thing form 2009 a few weeks back.

awful lol

David

10. Delta-NC macrumors member

Delta-NC

If I couldn't have an iPhone I'd just have a €20 Nokia.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

love my dumb phone, especially the lack of a data plan :)

love my ipod, especially with my mobile hot spot. unlimited. inexpensive. and, it works with all of my devices.

when phone companies come up with rational data plans, i'll get a smart phone.

12. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

it was a grim reminder of those horrid times when I had to load phone numbers and names into my wife's new (free) LG slider phone. The horror... the horror...

13. Treadstone macrumors newbie

I got rid of my iPhone 3GS in January 2010. And, let me tell you, I've regretted it ever since. It was sold for a few reasons I won't go into, but the vast amount of functionality you give up is incredible. I sold it for a Nokia which was around £30? Mainly because I wanted a simple phone again. I foolishly thought I (a computer scientist) could live without this beautiful piece of kit. It got rid of internet, apps, 'real' colour - the lot. It was shameful and after around 2 months I sold that and got a BlackBerry Bold.

Despite the BB being a very good phone i.e. keyboard, e-mail, battery life and etc, the OS is one of the buggiest I've seen, it takes around a decade to boot, browsing the internet is awful and it's slowly making me insane.

But, I'm in a little bit of a pickle. If I found out the i5 would be out at Christmas, I'd just get an i4. If it was out in September, I'd wait. But, as the weeks pass, I'm slowly more likely of throwing the BB out the window.

14. iKennett macrumors 6502

I've asked myself this before!

I find with a busy professional life and the desire to spend more time with family i've personally found that technology can overwhelm and overload you.

I used to be able stuff my 'dumb' phone in the kitchen draw when I got home but now I find my iPhone is always next to me... it's a bad habit!

Of course my 'smart' phone does allow me to be more productive with my professional time... such as keeping in touch with email while travelling and seeing what changes my PA has made to my calendar when moving from meeting to meeting.

I think if someone gave me a dumb phone instead I would manage AND would feel less overloaded!

15. helen12 macrumors newbie

Ouch.. My 3GS also broke down recently, and had to go back to my iPaQ of HP.. Not really a good idea: a few options on that phone still, but SLOW...! :)

16. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Could if I had to. But really wouldn't want to.

17. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I went from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

And ended up something like this:

[​IMG]

18. tongteh macrumors 6502

here is something deep:

Phones are never smart nor dumb. Give someone smart a standard old phone and he will do things you never imagine possible. On the other hand, give someone dumb a new latest technological advance phone and he wouldn't have any idea what to do with it.

:) peace!

19. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I could go back... as long as it has a color screen, not greenish-black. Most of what I do is internet and texting anyway, I'd do my internet share on my laptop. You just lose all these little extras which make life easier really :cool:

20. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I tried to use my wife's work phone and I was baffled. A phone with 1/8 of the function was 100x more complex.

I'll never go back to a dumb phone.

21. JoeG4, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I hate to say this, but a really well-done clamshell phone can make a much better phone than an iPhone can.

Why?

Your phone rings, you open it. You're done, you close it and it hangs up. Need to call a random number? Open it, type in number, hit green button. Close phone when done. Need a quick contact? You've programmed it into the 2-9 keys right? Hold said key down. Make your phone call, close phone.

Simple clamshell phone + oldschool iPods.. they were bigger, clunkier devices, but they did what they did really well. I will agree in many cases phone book syncing sucked, but it wasn't always that bad.

What we have now, is a small and pretty device that can do everything you could want it to do and more, but it can't do any of those things quite as well. Quickly hitting a contact that most of your calls goes to requires going into a menu, and the dialpad requires hitting a menu, and the pictures come from a tiny CMOS sensor that really sucks compared to a decent compact camera sensor. The music app is also in a menu, and unless you have a car with a (somewhat glitchy) iPod syncing system, you will probably risk wrecking your car to change the track while driving, a task that could have been done while blindfolded with an old iPod.

In fact, you could take a picture (albeit rather pointless one) while blindfolded, with a compact camera.

You could play music with a classic iPod while blindfolded, and control it fairly well too.

You could place and receive many calls with an oldschool clamshell phone blindfolded.

Won't be able to do any of those particularly well with any smartphone, sadly.

So yea, and no.. If I had to go back to a dumbphone I'd kinda miss the smartphone, especially when waiting for doctor appointments, but in some ways having the internet available at all times really screws with me as a person.

One thing I am deeply afraid of as a college student, is that cellphones - smart or dumb - will give any future employer of mine the sense that they own me hook line and sinker. That's frightening! If your employer offers you a phone you might wanna RUN because who the hell wants to hear from their employer when they're off the clock and not obligated to handle work ****?

22. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I couldn't go back to a dumb phone. I got rid of my Evo for an iPhone. No way would I go back to that dumb phone!!!

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same with me.

24. Skika macrumors 68030

If i had to get rid of my iPhone I would actually rather go for a really dumb phone (something that just makes calls and sms), than a bad smartphone.

25. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Even dumb phones have got an on/off switch. Turn it on during work hours, turn it off as soon as you leave work. Simple. :)