iPhone 11 Pro How many of you do a clean setup on a new phone?

Donnation

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
I haven’t done a clean setup on a new phone in years. With most everything being backed up in the cloud I’ve thought of doing one here when I get the iPhone Pro in a couple of days.

Do many of you do a fresh setup when you get your new phone? Just curious if you feel like you are gaining benefits from doing it over restoring from backup.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I did last year when moving from my 6S to the XS. Will likely do the same this year moving to the 11 Pro.

Had always restored from backups previously but as you said the things I cared about like messages and photos are all in the cloud so it makes it way easier. Also helps me purge unused apps.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I prefer to, but with the file transfer feature, I may not as I don't feel like spending all day waiting for all my apps to re-download.
Miss the days when backups allowed the FULL copy of the app, not just a placeholder requiring a fresh download.

Reactions: ZebraDude

jmgregory1

macrumors 68000
Might be forced to do a clean setup this year, if Apple doesn’t release a new beta of 13.1 for the 11 and 11 Pro’s. I suppose I’m ok with that, given so much of what I actually care about is going to sync anyway. But I do think the 13.1 build seems like the better version at this point. I guess I’ll decide once my Pro Max delivers Friday morning.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
I haven’t done a clean setup on a new phone in years. With most everything being backed up in the cloud I’ve thought of doing one here when I get the iPhone Pro in a couple of days.

Do many of you do a fresh setup when you get your new phone? Just curious if you feel like you are gaining benefits from doing it over restoring from backup.
I used to a fresh setup but these days I need my phone for work and need it to be the same. I honestly don’t have the patience or desire set up my phone like before.
- - Post merged: - -

I used to long ago but stopped doing it. Seemed there was no advantage. And it just took a lot longer to get things back to where I wanted them.
Exactly that’s where I’m at. I’m too busy and have too many other things going on to spent time doing this.

Reactions: psac

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Always setup as new. With messages, photos and other app data being saved in iCloud they all download to the phone. Then I’ll re-download apps as I need them.

Martyimac

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
After a glitch when I transferred my info from an 8 to my Xs,  support had me do a setup as a new phone. That fixed the glitch. From now on I will setup as a new phone.

mrjoeyjiffy

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Might be forced to do a clean setup this year, if Apple doesn’t release a new beta of 13.1 for the 11 and 11 Pro’s. I suppose I’m ok with that, given so much of what I actually care about is going to sync anyway. But I do think the 13.1 build seems like the better version at this point. I guess I’ll decide once my Pro Max delivers Friday morning.
Hey this is not a problem, ive already tested it with my phones. Just find where your backups are located, find the one in reference. Theres a file called info.plist, edit it with txt editor(or xcode on mac i believe) do a find for "product" and you will find product version, a few lines down youll see 13.1 just change it to 13.0. Ive tried this with 13.0 and 12.4 from my 13.1 backups and it works great! Lemme know if u need more help

Edit: Obviously this is with an itunes or 3utools backup on the computer, not icloud.

kty39

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
If I do a clean setup, will my photos in Cloud, contacts, notes etc still be there?

Dented

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
I haven’t done a clean setup since 2008 when I got my first iPhone 3G - I like the fact that my current XR is essentially the same phone.

Same for my Mac which started on Snow Leopard in 2009 and is still going on High Sierra today - I’ve never seen any need to clean install.

Zune55

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2015
I haven’t done a clean setup since 2008 when I got my first iPhone 3G - I like the fact that my current XR is essentially the same phone.

Same for my Mac which started on Snow Leopard in 2009 and is still going on High Sierra today - I’ve never seen any need to clean install.
Maybe with clean setup iphone will work more fast? Or the apps that maybe causing any glitch in iphone gets remove that way? I would do clean up only if gives me faster iphone.

brgjoe

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Probably will do a clean install in my next iPad. My old one is still running iOS 9-something, so I am not even sure if everything will transfer/work correctly.

And believe it or not, yesterday I did my first iTunes backup/restore (only used iCloud backups in the past). And it worked very well. It went basically the same as the iCloud ones -- I did have to log back into my Gmail account and re-add all my credit cards in my Wallet app. But it did save the password and settings for my work email account, which last time I tried, iCloud didn't.

Either way though was pretty darn easy and problem-free. And I haven't had any issues (that I know of anyway) with clutter from the past. And going from backups saves me time. Which alone is worth it to me.

Dented

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Maybe with clean setup iphone will work more fast? Or the apps that maybe causing any glitch in iphone gets remove that way? I would do clean up only if gives me faster iphone.
My phone works as fast as any other and I’ve no glitches (even on iOS 13.1 beta) so - not feeling any need to break my 11 year run yet.

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Doing a clean set-up means manually resetting all you settings and preferences from your old iPhone
These days iCloud or computer backup is good