How many of you get a new MBP every year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkava_4, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

How wonderful life would be if we all had the resources to get a new MBP
    every year. I imagine some of you are fortunate enough to do just that. :)

2. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Dude I wish lol. :p

I'm on my first one [Late '09 model] and will probably upgrade after a BIG update. Blu-Ray perhaps?? :rolleyes:

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm too attached to mine to want to get a new one. (not like mine is old or anything anyhow)

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My current MacBook Pro is two and a half years old if that tells you anything :)

5. Reapur macrumors regular

You would be surprised at how easy it is. The MBP holds its resale value extremely well, which covers at least 2/3 of the cost of a new one, which you can easily save money for to cover the other 1/3 remaining. I bought a 15" in July 2009, then sold it in March 2010 then got a 17 inch i7. If they do a re-design or significant hardware change like USB 3.0, Light Peak or eSata, I'm doing it again for a new 17 inch.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Ha, that's one of the top reasons I had a part-time job at Apple for so long! Yearly equipment updates. :)

7. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

I don't think there's many people who do that... you'd have to be earning a lot to justify something like that.

I suppose if you bought the latest model second hand, and sold shortly after the next update, it may only cost you $400 a year or something, if you bought smart. Still. Top end MBPs are so expensive.

8. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Waiting for a "good update" to happen. Hopefully by early '11.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I get one every update; I sell the old one or give it away (depending on the situation).

It's usually because the old one had a problem in one form or another. So far my current one is working pretty well after they replaced the display, so I'm hoping to keep this for at least 2 generations more.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've had a 2007, 2008, and my current 2010 model.

12. cookieronster macrumors member

no i wish! but i'm close. Late 2006 Blackbook, Late 2008 uMB, and now an i7 15" i wouldn't have upgraded but the i7 is too good.

13. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

iWish. But I'm an 18 year old trying to save for a deposit on a house.
    I will probably sell my current laptop to my parents next year if there is a big-ish update. The biggest barrier to my dreams of the ultimate MBP at he moment is my processor, so I will probably upgrade to a new one next year.

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

No. IMO most of the time theres not enough of a jump upgrading every revision. Apple gear still hold its value quite well for a few years after it is released

15. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

every year? are you kidding me? I think you do. because I am not ****ing apple product collector. do you? if I have that much money (actually I have enough money though), I will spend for other things. with all respect, get a life.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I wish I could at times.

However, lack of funds makes me hang on to them for much longer. :(

17. borisiii macrumors 6502

I get them each time there is a major update. TiBook, Aluminium G4, Intel MBP, C2D unibody...

18. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

Every two years I look at what has been upgraded and then make my decision. But over the last 4 months I've used my computer so little because of the iPad that I think this MBP might last me a little bit longer

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Nope. I used to try and do that but i realized it didn't really make sense. I've skipped out on the last two revisions. I'll upgrade at Sandy Bridge and/or redesign.

I get the new iPhone every year though.

20. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

With such small upgrades there haven't really been any need for frequent upgrades.
    My 2007 MBP is as fast as the 2010 13-inch in about every task, even graphics intensive stuff the 8600m GT mostly beats the 320M. I know I'm comparing a 15-inch to a 13-inch, and I admit my MBP i5 quite a bit faster than the 2007 model

21. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I do, but then again it's a business expense; once you factor in not buying Applecare but still having a warranty it's not a bad deal.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I've only done this once in my lifetime of owning Macs which has been the last 14 years. I had the late 2008 Macbook Air, sold it and bought a 2009 13' Macbook Pro, sold that and now I have a 15" Core i5. The only reason I did this is because the Air was becoming too limited for my needs every day I owned it. The 13" MBP was great but I disappointed to find out that Apple added audio to the MDP, plus I needed separate audio line in/out and I wanted a matte screen so I got rid of it for the current 15" I have. This one will be a keeper.

23. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you buy when they first come out and sell about 11 months later before the warranty expires then it might actually make sense to get a new one with a new battery instead of buying Apple care - especially if you can get a good price.

My 13" MBP base model cost me only $999 at MicroCenter. Is it worth buying Apple Care for as much as $250 list price (25% of the purchase price) or selling and buying a new one? Or is it worth the gamble and not buying Apple Care at all? I don't know but it is something I will be considering by next spring.

24. Tarek macrumors 6502

I bought a MacBook Pro in September of 2008 and I am still using it. I am buying the new MacBook Pro either this month or in Christmas, though.

25. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you look at my last post, I actually did it the way you described in terms of the warranty. I sold my 13" MBP at 11 months old so the new owner would have the option to get Applecare.
    Thing is, this is not ideal for most people. Most people that truly use their computers as tools don't have the time, patience or interest in constantly upgrading the computer every year. It's a huge hassle unless you're a geek or a teen that has nothing better to do.