How many of you guys are getting AppleCare+ on your new 7's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marc55, Sep 10, 2016.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

How many of you guys are getting AppleCare+ on your new iPhone 7's?

Considering the cost of the 7Plus/128GB, it might not be a bad idea?

Please share your insight....

Thank you,
    M

2. macness macrumors 6502a

macness

So what exactly is the change in Apple care+ pricing?

3. yngrshr macrumors regular

I got it since I did the upgrade program, but I'd get it anyway. Have used it a few times (and I'm generally careful with my devices). After all these years, I broke my first screen a few months back on my 6 Plus. AppleCare was worth it since the battery was shot, too. $85 replacement (tax included). Can't beat that.

4. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

UAG + Tempered Glass Screen Protector is my AppleCare, never needed it. A waste for me.

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Bought in on my first 2 iPhones (3G and 3GS). Stopped after that but started again when I got the 6S Plus since it was a much bigger phone that I was not used to and didn't know if I would drop it. I got AC+ on my 7 Plus as well and my AW2. I don't use cases or protection, never had a problem but it's nice to know if I do, it's covered.

6. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I see Applecare as a hedge bet and not worth it. Essentially you are betting that you'll break the phone in some way and rather than paying out of pocket when that happens, you are paying up front at a potential discount depending on what you do to it. Once you shell out the $ for AC, it's gone regardless if you actual use it or not. It's a money making program for Apple...they don't offer it out of the goodness of their hearts. More people pay for it and never use it.

After owning all of the iphone models over the years, I finally broke my 64GB 6+ by taking it in the pool. Oops. Never had any breakage with any phone previously...most never had a scratch. Without AC or any kind of warranty it cost me $329 to replace. For an $800 phone I think that's a damn good deal. With AC it would've cost $79. So it cost me ~$150 more than it would of if I had AC if you figure in the up front cost of AC. By not paying for AC all those years on all the phones I've had and not broken, I still come out way ahead.

The moral of this story is if you take care of your stuff and breakage is something that rarely happens to you...skip it. Especially if you can afford out of pocket repairs.

If you are a total klutz and you go through broken screens, etc all the time, it might be worth it for you. Not sure if there's a cap on the number of times you can replace/repair on AC. However, IMO you're better off spending the money on a lifeproof (or similar) case if you can stand the bulk.

7. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

just put an poll up already op. way easier to track...

8. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

I will be getting it 100%

Can't spend $800 on a phone that's super fragile and one little drop with shatter that screen

9. benboy12 macrumors regular

I am on the fence on a protection plan, and if I go that route in trying to decide between AppleCare+ and SquareTrade.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nope. Getting a good case.

I'd rather self-insure and possibly be out the money instead of paying for "protection" and definitely being out the money regardless.

11. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Definitely going to. Going to call AppleCare soon here and have them send me a refund for the prorated amount from my 6S and maybe use that towards the purchase of it for the 7.

12. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

I've had a lot of Apple devices over the years and I've never bought AppleCare and luckily never needed it yet. This will be my first time purchasing it, only because I wanted to do the Apple Upgrade Plan and it's included. I always felt like it wasn't worth it, but now that the AppleCare screen replacement fee has dropped to $29 and I can have AppleCare for about $5/month instead of $129 upfront, it seems like a no brainer.

Plus, there's no way I'm putting a case on that sexyAF Jet Black iPhone.