How many of you guys despise the iPad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by February1088, Apr 4, 2010.

?

Do you despise iPad?

1. Yes

100 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. No

184 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. February1088 macrumors member

Asking an iPad-related question, some of you may feel like this should go into the iPad discussion forum but I want to ask the MBP consumers who feel like their MBP has been "robbed" of an update because of the damn iPad.

True, there is a chance that the MBP delay may have nothing to do with iPad at all but this just seems unlikely to me. I have no proof of this and its just my opinion.

It's been a while and the name still sounds awkward. The product seems totally useless (netbook better value, more useful and iPhone more convenient)

Thoughts please? Lets also pray that this Tuesday will give us our long awaited prize

2. bananaboi macrumors member

i definitely feel "robbed" by the ipad, but i dont despise it.. it's still a solid job done by Apple

3. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Not me. Got it charging on my 15-inch 2.8Ghz MBP (which I bought just over two weeks ago.......and exhale......) right now. Love it, love it, love it.

4. NGL macrumors member

It doesn't make sense to "despise" any electronics. If you don't want the gadget, don't buy it. It's definitely not a "must have" type of item, it's a luxury item. I think it's a bit overpriced and a bit oversimplified in nature. In a few revisions, it'll likely be really neat.

-Nick

5. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Why would I hate the Ipad? I certainly have no use for one as I have a macbook pro and an iphone, but as an educator I could see how they could be useful.

6. palane macrumors member

iPud

Apple did admit that the release of 10.5 was delayed due to work on the iPhone. However, that's OS and not hardware. I don't know if talent in the hardware teams is as fungible.

For us, the iPad will be a bigger, cheaper alternative to a smart phone. Cheaper? Yes. Data plan is $15/month. Shifting to two iPhone plans would cost a lot more. Judging from the 600k day 1 sales, there's a lot of folks who see a use for it.

And I'm perfectly happy using my uni-MBP and don't plan to replace it for several years. So, I couldn't care less if the next update is slightly delayed.

BB

7. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

A MBP and an iPhone? That's what I got!

8. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I live in Kentucky too!!! High Five Bro!!!

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

IMHO, despising a person or an electronic item makes no sense.

10. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

Can't really tell if you got that one or not but alas I will proceed. When using NatGeos Atlas App (not to mention reading some iBooks) I couldn't help but think how amazing the iPad would be in a students hands. Granted the Apps would have to become more sophisticated but someday I could see them as a primary educational tool.

Good morning class my name is Nuck81. If I could get everyone to open their Amercan History App to year 1944 please.

How great would that be?

11. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I'm a music teacher, but I understand what you mean. Think of the possibility of a primary math teacher placing a simple addition problem on the virtual blackboard that appeared on each individual students Ipad for them to solve and submit giving instant feedback to the teacher showing the students step process in solving the equation. The technology is already there, unfortunately affordability for the majority of school districts is still over a decade away...

12. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

We went to the Apple store to check out the iPad Saturday afternoon. The fit and finish is great. The screen is beautiful and the interactivity is superb.

I think we don't know how this device will be used yet. Sure, it has some obvious applications. It is like when the iPhone first came out. It had a huge novelty factor which distorted its actual use. After a while you get used to it and find ways to use it that fit your life. The same will happen with the iPad. In the beginning people will use it for everything possible. After a while the useful applications will win out and the others will fall into disuse. It is always this way with new technology. When the phone first came out one thing it was supposed to be used for was to distribute opera to the country side. How is that going on today? (Sounds more like an internet app.)

I suspect that some of the people downplaying the iPad are upset that it doesn't fit their particular needs. That's not what this is about. The iPad is about breaking new ground, not about rehashing the past.

13. twilightrose macrumors member

I find the iPad a dissapointment. No reason related to the MBP, however the iPad in my eyes has very little functionality (obviously will change with newer apps to take advantage of it) but it runs a smartphone OS which okay was designed for multitouch, but it was hardly changed at all for terms of a basic-level computer OS. The only advantage I see on it is the long life battery, and the bigger onscreen keyboard which the iPhone-iPad line will get even thinner if apples new iPhone has the iPad processr in it. But I by no means 'dispise' it, it's for some people and those some people aren't me:)

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't despise the iPad, I just have no use for it. I also dislike the attitude that some people- for or against it- have adopted ("You absolutely NEED/DON'T NEED an iPad") and those that find excuses to spend their money on it.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. Some people had been waiting an iPad for years and there are people that actually needs one, so why can't they just have their fun? Not everyone likes or needs the same thing.

Apple is a company so they can do whatever want, nothing is stopping them for not updating the MBP for another year! Apple wants to make profit, so now because iPad hysteria is on, there is no reason to update anything else. When it's over, Apple updates MBPs and is again on front pages etc.

You shouldn't blame anyone else than yourself for joining the waiting game...

16. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Harsh... but true. :(

17. Raima macrumors 6502

I heard apple rejected the new i3/i5/i7 mobile chips cause of the integrated graphics chips from intel. Apparently they're waiting for the new chips from intel.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Poll would have been better if you said 'how many find the iPad lacking features necessary to make it appealing or useful to you'

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If I recall correctly, that's not gonna happen. Most mobile and mainstream desktop CPUs have and will have an integrated GPU so if Apple waits one without, we may not see an update for looooong time ;)

Apple could add another GPU and disable the integrated so that would end the fuss about it. The integrated GPU is fine for most people though so I think we'll see it as a new 9400M and then dedicated GPU in mid and high-level MBPs.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

People are going to try and justify a luxury item no matter what. I couldn't care less if people are buying and having to justify why or why people are not buying. To despise an object is pretty much a waste of time.

21. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

I think the product is pretty mediocre, but the marketing has been phenomenal. Apple should be able to land a few million before people start to wonder what the hell they spent their money on, and by then they'll be forever sucked in the Apple world and unable to escape. Much like all of us who are still waiting for a MBP release that we know will be underwhelming and overpriced...and yet still long for it.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I love my iPad. I didn't want one at first, but Apple got me now.

23. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

I know what I spent my money on. Of the many capabilities of iPad I am using it right now at the kitchen table while eating breakfast in the same manner I would a newspaper. Except now I am also able to do things like easily post on Mac Rumors! Sure I used to do the same with an iPhone but for obvious reasons this is a more enjoyable experience. All the while my MBP sits comfortably on my work desk with no worries of my morning coffee being spilt on it. :D

24. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

A solid job? Hardly. They made relatively slight modifications to iPhone OS, developed weak, featureless versions of the iWork suite, and released a few accessories that they should have released for the iPhone years ago. Add that to their extremely fragile and mediocre "iPad" hardware, throw in the lack of full-blown OSX, and what you end up with is a failed device. Apple would have you believe that it's "magical" and "revolutionary," but I protest - it is fragile, it is a failure of innovation, and it really doesn't do anything that the iPhone could technically do (in terms of hardware) had Apple not intentionally crippled it.

A solid job? I think not. I don't "despise" the iPad, but I might despise certain individuals blind enough to join the "revolution" against the modern computer industry.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As with others I don't "despise" the iPad. to be honest, I'm not sure its a good tool for my needs - which is why I didn't buy one.

Its good for apple to having another good product.