How many of you guys run windows on Your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karkid, Nov 6, 2010.

1. karkid macrumors member

I'm not really feeling the OSX:rolleyes: been thinking of putting windows 7 on my MBP, just wondering how many other users out there use windows or both?

2. Darrenyo macrumors member

I run both Mac OS X and Windows 7 x64 on my MBP 13".

Only have 80GB of hard drive dedicated to Windows tho as i only use it for MS Office and the odd game.

Only have a 250GB hard drive though but will be upgrading it to a 500GB soon as i always feel that Windows runs better if it has more free space.

Only thing is tho, i installed the x32 disc and windows would only pick up 2GB of ram :( so had to install the x64 to get the full 4GB.

Oh and btw, you'll need to install this hotfix if you install the x64. Now i mean once you get past all the installing and your left with the windows desktop, install and restart it before your install the Mac drivers because windows 7 will freeze on the welcome screen once you restart it.

Hotfix link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979491

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I use Windows 7 x64 in bootcamp and in a VM. Infact, when i'm feeling really crazy, i'll run OS X w/ Win 7 in a VM, which is running Windows XP in another VM inside of Win 7 (Windows XP Mode). Other times I run two or three win 2k8 server VMs for development purposes.

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I run parallels just for the Zune software, otherwise, there's no reason for me to do so.

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I run Windows 7 64-bit through bootcamp. I do it because I needed a specific Quickbooks program that is only offered on a windows platform.

By the way, I never had any issues installing win7 - no hot fix needed for me. Maybe I just got lucky - have yet to run into any freeze issues.

6. Moomba macrumors regular

I run 7 x64 on my MBP. It runs well; just like any other windows laptop. However the battery life takes a big hit. Under Windows i get barely 2-2.5 hours. Under OSX I get closet to 5-6 hours on average. I use and prefer OSX to Windows, but that's also partly since Im used to running Ubuntu most of the time. I just keep 7 on a bootcamp partition for vSphere mostly, and a few occasional uses. Frankly, if I wanted to run windows most of the time I'd just buy a windows laptop, but that's just me.

7. boontech macrumors newbie

I have parallels set up for Windows 7, XP and ubuntu.

I have to use some windows only software for work and find its much easier to have a parallels set up and saves time on the time to go through bootcamp. i find out of the 2 windows systems i have installed XP runs better, i dont have any problems with 7.

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Not me, but I got an iMac before my MBP and the iMac was my first Mac. I loaded Fusion and have XP Pro on it. I rarely if ever use it any more, although I turn it on from time to time to see if it still works. When I got the MBP I didn't see the need so it's only running OS X.

9. sjfwhite macrumors member

sjfwhite

I've got Windows XP set up in Parallels but don't want to go to the trouble of dual booting. I bought a MBP for OS X, not Windows. The Windows XP VM is purely for proprietary Windows software and I actually resent the disk space that the VM takes up. :)

I use my MBP for business and have a Windows desktop. For the gaming I would do on the road, I am happy with the offerings from Steam. I actually like doing some retro Valve gaming while I am away.

10. lickitysplit macrumors regular

I use both Windows 7 64 and OSX on my MBP. OSX is for daily use, school work, and music stuff. And windows is for gaming. This is my only computer right now so I use it for everything.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I run Win 7 through VMWare Fusion as I use some applications that only run in Win.

12. BenFL macrumors member

Being a Realtor, I must use Parallels to run XP so I can have IE8 to access MLS. Its the only browser I have found that allows access.

13. sjfwhite macrumors member

sjfwhite

Yep - similar situation to what I have. Maybe some day we'll see IE10 for Mac. LOL

14. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

what is it that you don't like about OSX? How long have you been using it for?

If you're just frustrated with the little quirks you'll get used to it. Don't get me wrong W7 works phenominally on the MBP. Games tend to work better on W7 compared to OSX.

I was running W7.64 for a while but only because CS1.6 wasn't available on steam but realized it was just a waste of time.

15. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I have Windows 7 on my machine, but I don't really ever boot into it. I did use it for testing websites in Internet Explorer, but now Adobe has their browser lab that does it for me. Now it is there just in case I ever need it.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd like to, but it won't install for some reason; keeps crashing half way through the install.

17. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i don't but thats because i also own a windows desktop xD

18. srexy macrumors 6502a

Running a bare bones XP VM using Parallels 5 for corporate access. I have to have VPN access to a Windows network and occasionally need the full functionality of OWA on IE.

Is there a way to VPN into Windows in OS-X?

19. Arneee macrumors newbie

Arneee

XP Pro

I run Win XP with Parallels Desktop for Mac, build 3188 (2007).

My virtual machine never found any USB devices, so syncing files only through shared folder. I found this good due to millions of sick usb viruses that have autorun.inf and other s*** in them. I don't even have antivirus.

My specs:
    1024mb ram,
    32000mb hdd,
    cd/dvd
    sound
    network is disabled with Little Snitch (so does not even ask for Auto Updates).

It all runs little slow maybe because I run it all on 2007 MBP, 17" and 1920x1200 res.

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I would never run Bootcamp for access to Windows business apps. It would drive me crazy having to reboot my computer every time I went to switch the OS.

I run Parallels with WinXP, Vista and Win7 VM's in full Unity mode. Inside of those, I run Visio, MS Project, Quickbooks and the Visual Studio suite inside of Win7. I also run IE in various flavors for testing purposes with the dev work my firm does.

To me, Bootcamp is either for playing games (which I don't do often on a Mac...I've got dedicated Windows boxes for that at home) or for someone who has enough Windows horsepower demands that a VM session won't cut it. And frankly, with an i7 processor and 8 gigs of RAM, I've yet to find any apps I must run in Windows that don't work in Parallels Unity mode. The ability to freely drag and drop between WinWhatever and OSX is nothing short of magical for me. I don't know why I'd ever want to use Bootcamp unless I had no choice and had to do so.

21. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

I don't have windows at all on my laptop. Of course i do have a windows desktop.. haha but im selling it and will be gone from windows forever ;) unless apple chases me away.

22. kobazik macrumors newbie

Win7 x64 for gaming only

I run Windows 7 x64 via Boot Camp for gaming purposes and it works great. Just make sure you get latest nvidia drivers and a proper gaming mouse coz MBP touchpad sucks on Windows 7

Playing NFS World with PS3 controller via bluetooth on MBP is fun ! :D

23. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I run Windows 7 on my MBP 17 almost exclusively.

24. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

Well ...

Win7 64bit bootcamp and Win XP 64bit parallels VM.

Need it for work this way ;)

25. fivenotrump macrumors 6502