How many of you guys use palm guards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingping14, Mar 18, 2012.

?

Do you have a palmguard?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    59.6%
  3. No but thinking about getting one

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. kingping14 macrumors member

Been using my new 15" MBP for a few weeks now and this is something I've always pondered since day one. First of all I hate using cases/screen protectors etc, I've never had any sort of aftermarket accessory on my iPhone/iPad/MBP 13" for as long as I've owned them. But the palm guard for my MBP 15" may actually seem quite useful without destroying the looks (especially the Moshi models). Main reason is because I want to avoid pitting in the aluminum due to wear and tear, but then again I've had my 13" for almost two years now and there were no signs of pitting anywhere on the surface.

what do you guys think?

2. YJamie85 macrumors member

YJamie85

I don't put anything on mine. I like the original look to it. I've never seen anyone around me using any palm guard but I have seen hardshell cases and speck cases, some even have keyboard covers. It's a personal preference I think. If you want to, you can. But since your 13" is doing okay after 2 years, then I wouldn't worry about it :)

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've found the Aluminum is very durable and easy to keep clean. I see no reason to be paranoid or let ones OCD influence how you use it.

Aftermarket companies push all kinds of covers, plastic shells & skins, simply because people buy into the fear.

After well over two years of eight to ten hours of computing each day, mine looks just like new. I'd never cover it. You can't ask for better than that.

MacBook Pros are superb.

4. YJamie85 macrumors member

YJamie85

I second this post! :)
    What model / year is your beast?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've used apple laptops since the powerbook days and I've never needed or seen a reason for the palm guard.

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

The metal itself seems to be quite resistant to physical wear and tear. Pitting is a form of corrosion so simply keeping the surface clean should remove any chemicals causing the reaction.

7. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Unless you have acid leaching our of your palms I think you'll be fine. :eek:

8. negativzero macrumors 6502

I use a Moshi palmguard, mainly because I have sweaty palms and the dirt and grime that accumulates on the palm area when you don't have the protector is a pain in the butt to clean. With the protector, cleaning the palm area is easier :)

9. Risasi macrumors 6502

...and some do. I have one co-worker who apparently has xenomorph sweat. He pitted out his old Macbook Pro really bad, and within two months he had a small spot of corrosion forming on his new Macbook Air this past summer.

He uses a cover. And so do a very small minority of others. It's not about fear, it's about past experience.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I use either the Moshi or 3m di-noc carbon fiber. Both are a few mil thick and more than enough to both block oil stains and even harder scratches. Also, I like the black contrast.

11. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

you definitely dont need a palmgaurd, but i have the twelvesouth surfacepad on mine because I like the look

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Exactly what I have on my MBP and MBA, the Speck clear candy shells. I clean the alloy with a slightly damp microfiber cloth once a week or so, take the shells off once a month and use the same to clean the body....Remove any dust from the vents with a soft varnishing brush.

That's it. No pitting, scratches or damage on any of my stuff...IPhone 4S is naked on its stand at home....Has a Stilgut leather case for out and about...No screen protectors....Could never get em on anyway...Clean it the same way.

New iPad will be in a Griffin Reveal clear rear shell when they are available, and a Stilgut black folio case when they too be one UK available....I've used the same system for years....No damage at all....( as all devices now fall onto a hard surface.....:D )

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

15" Mid 2010 MBP i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Hi-Res Anti-Glare
    It's a rocket on 10.6.8 :)

14. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Another vote for the 12South Surfacepad. I have the smooth version on my 15" MBP and enjoy the added protection. It has no adverse effect on sleep mode or fully closing the cover.